Rare footage of the Red Baron has come to light

TonyT

The parts are at a museum in Australia.

Yup. We have a great War Memorial. LSP Mike and I couldn't even make our way through it in its entirety even with a full day.

We'd still have Black 6 except the Brits took it back for evaluation...we klepto'd that from a German airfield. We have some pretty awesome exhibits, esp of German equipment. Rare and largely only preserved.

I loved how Manfred swans up with his hand in his pocket. He was just missing a can of Coke to truly get the 'casual' factor going.

Matty

Thank you all for the effort in your postings, especially the museum stuff, guys. :)

You see, I have a total of five unbuilt Fokker triplane kits; three 1/28th, two 1/48th, all but one (the 1/28th Revell Voss) claiming to be the correct all red MvR, yet with differing markings.

Decisions, decisions...

not sure I am following you and your logic.   He flew at least six different triplanes, with some having no red on them at all.

there are LOTS of pieces of MvRs last triplane in existence,  There are even three of the crosses from 425/17 still around, they were ordered changed to the straight style in March '18

Quite a few photos abound of 425/17 and it looks all one colour to me.

Tony

Kinda like the European churches that all have both nails and wooden pieces from the Original Cross-As Mark Twain estimated enough nails to fill a keg, enough lumber to complete a small structure.

Resourceful scroungers, eh! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Fourth, I had always heard that the silk scarf was a critical part of the WWI pilot's attire as it could be used to wipe castor oil off goggles, but critically, it kept the skin of the neck from getting chafed as the pilot was constantly turning and looking around for enemy aircraft.  The smooth scarf would protect your neck from rubbing the inside of your jacket or whatever....

So, I found it quite interesting that Manfred put his scarf on OUTSIDE the big collar of his jacket, where it would not protect his neck skin at all!  His jacket was lined with soft looking fleece...still interesting though.

Yeah, I found that interesting, too! I noticed that the jacket itself has no kind of mechanism to close the collar and that they tied the scarf quite tightly. Obvious reasons for that aside, I wondered, if it maybe had something to do with stabilising the neck during turns and other maneuvers where you would pull Gs?

Oh, and I just LOVED the pants of his flying suit! :D

Edited by holzemjo

FWIW, keep in mind that the evolution of the red, and the differing styles of crosses occured over the life of a few different tripes.Since red was the regimental color of MvRs cavelry unit, he adopted it for his plane; as he moved up, it became the color for his squadron. Each plane to have some distinct parts painted red, then personal markings applied.

Lothar vR s tripe, and subsequent DVII used yellow for a personal marking as that was the color of his former cavelry unit.

• 5 months later...

At approximately 4:00 in the first video, during start-up, I thought it interesting the cylinder housings rotated with the propeller.

Sincerely,

Mark

Yes, all rotary engines do that. Here's a Clerget on a test stand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpfIXyWEnw

Yes, all rotary engines do that. Here's a Clerget on a test stand:

Incredible that they could even fly bundled up the way they were. Did anyone notice the chin strap on his officers cap? First time I've ever seen that with a German uniform. Looking at the ground crew working the engine, is that oil they are using to lubricate the push rods? I imagine the lower cylinders on a stationary engine would dry out from drippage with no oil being sprayed around as the engine ran.

Looking at the ground crew working the engine, is that oil they are using to lubricate the push rods?

No, they are priming cylinders through the open exhaust valves, maybe with a squirt of ether. It makes starting easier

Richard