1/32 HK Meteor F4

TaffyMan

Amazing work Taff! You're tackling this one beautifully, despite the issues you're having. Can't wait to see some paint on it.

Kev

Cheers Kev - We are now at the paint stage some pics to follow!!

Taff :D (Very jealous of the HK Do335)

Splendid ;)

Cheers for looking Loic - Feel like I am getting somewhere with this one now!

I truly respect your perseverance and skills in putting this together! Thanks for sharing, and that Milliput molding trick is new to me!

Cheers, Tom

Cheers Tom - Perseverance……. :mental: Yep this was meant to be a quick one before I treat myself to the new Tiffy!!!!! Taking a bit longer than I thought and is determined to fight. The Milliput thing was something I hijacked from a Derek B build, Its the first time I have tried it. Bit more refinement needed next time. But not a bad get out off jail card

OLD is GOLD. ...Taff this is quite a build so far.

Way to Go!!!

:clap2:

Cheers Maru - Old is Gold :rofl:  - feels more like iron pyrite sometimes!!!

Great recovery and progress. :popcorn:

Keep going and i keep on following.

Mark

Hi Mark thanks for looking in and posting - did't I see you with one of these in the “Make The Others Jealous†thread!!

Cheers folks time to get this pup a bit further along.

One of the things I like about this kit is ones you are together with the Fus and wings that is pretty much it - Break Out The Paint!

Giving the white markings base paint a good night rest to firm up it was out with a bit of floor polish sprayed on to seal her.

After this had dried I then placing the blank positive masks for the markings.

060-Meteor-F4_zps0cfb058b.jpg

When I did the artwork for these I allowed a 0.4 mm reduction on all the roundels area :mental:  - “hindsight and all that†if I do this route for masks again I think I will be more generous and give it a bit more - they where a real PIA to line up with this narrow margin. More on this a bit later on.

Okay with the markings masks on - I can now paint my home brew HS Silver. This was made with a combo of Humbrol 11, 56 and with some Ensign White added to the brew.

A couple of hours later - shes all silver - Looking at the result I could have got away with some heavier pre shading - but suppose best to be more subtle than in your face! This was allowed a good night to cure.

Now a silver bird with the base masks off. This was then given a polish off with a car finishing pad to smooth the surface down. And to blend any edges from the masks. Then a all over spray coating of floor polish.

061-Meteor-F4_zps172ceb96.jpg

The next picture shows that I should have made the reduction more on the roundels. :doh: So I could have lined up the overspray easier.

The one that I thought would be a real pain was the Fus one! But once I got the corner lined up on the front edge it seemed to go down relatively easy. That being said, if I did this kind of markings again I would do the roundel as a separate mask - less hassle that way I think!

Okay the roundels - these took me ages to line them up so there was an even gap all around - even then I am sure I am slightly out on the ones on the underside of the wings. These where a real PIA and defiantly need more margin of error next time

So after many hours of FAF and cursing etc ……. I'm sure you all know the routine!!!! I finally got this

062-Meteor-F4_zps6d620ef1.jpg

So now just need to add the Red - right huh :hmmm:  I wish……. the tail flash mask? I just couldn't get it to work and lay down. The bottom edges is right on top of the tail plane so even though Mal gives you a very thin bottom edge to these masks it just wouldn't play ball - so it was time for a cup of tea and some biscuits - good brain food! :innocent:

Right after many biscuits (dunked in the tea) the solution I came up with was a combo of masks and tape with the bottom edge coming from one of the masks outer edges. These are the bits you weed out and bin. But they are nice and straight and above all else thin! So it seemed to work. Only time will tell!

So her she is with the Red on 

063-Meteor-F4_zps0f5da5c7.jpg

I will leave this over night to cure then tomorrow - fingers crossed should get the blue on.

Till next time hope you enjoyed - any comments / crits welcome - Have fun.

Taff :D

Paint work looks good and yes i have one in the stash.

Still thinking what i will do with it.

Build it like a F4,off going for the F8 with the conversion from fisher.

Mark

Good progress Taff.

Nice work :thumbsup:

you can turn the Pyrite to Gold... :rofl:

Cheers Maru – I whish I had the Midas touch then I wouldn't have to keep waiting for that Loto ticket………  OHHHH HAAAAAA model making all day every day ……..cool :please:  let it happen soon!

Paint work looks good and yes i have one in the stash.

Still thinking what i will do with it.

Build it like a F4,off going for the F8 with the conversion from fisher.

Mark

Ta Mark – looking forward to you breaking the box open and starting it! Yep the Fisher bits look excellent! If I do another I think it would have to be either the Mk8 using the conversion kit. Or if he is doing it my preferred version would be the PR10.

Taff

Sure is looking mighty good.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Cheers Peter - Back at yer with your Sea Fury she's looking very good!!! :yahoo:

Gutting about the engine. I hope you can use the one you have already done, after all the work!

Cheers for looking in - Taff :D

Been moving it on to the next stage – painting the markings.

Here is what I got with the last colours on and the all masks and masking off.

Quite cuffed with that – looking pretty good to my eye.

064-Meteor-F4_zpse5b4bf83.jpg

Just the one bit that I didn't get lined up – the proverbial gnats knackers out Doh!!!  :BANGHEAD2:  – You can see that I was more concentrated on lining up the Roundels, and missed the slight twist in the side bars.

065-Meteor-F4_zps644fd368.jpg

As I said in the last update, I would do this style of markings masks different next time. I would make the reduction on the Roundels more – so it is more forgiving on lining them up. I would also still do the positive mask for the white all in one – but all the Roundels and Side Bars would be produced separately. Doing this would make the painting part longer, but it would be both neater and easier to line all of the elements up separately.

So back to the out-of-line bit – Do I try and repair or can I live with it – Not sure if I would do more damage, we will see as I go on! :shrug:

So, with all of the colour masking done it was the Black bit next, aircraft codes and no walk lines.

Looks okay to me. And now I have some shine on her I llike the HS Silver - could have made it a bit more silver but when the day light hits it, it gives a real nice sheen effect. And when I have seen these birds close up it seems to be a sliver grey matalic look rather than a bright silver IMHO.

066-Meteor-F4_zps872e2d04.jpg

067-Meteor-F4_zps7a58330c.jpg

Also you can see I have done a bit of foiling in the gun ports.

The other bit to note, I decided to see if I could tidy up the bottom line on the side marking. This was masked of with a bit of tape and the roundel covered. Then a light dusting of the HS Silver applied. Not going to do anything with the triangle tops but unless you get up close and personal you don't notice them creeping out of the white area.

Looks a lot tidier know?

068-Meteor-F4_zps52666726.jpg

Wish I had masked the triangle and airbrushed the marks in rather than touching it up witha hairy stick!

This then had a good coat of floor polish to make it nice and shiny for the stickers.

Shot of her shiny bottom with the aircraft codes done – also added two lines on the belly tank that I can see on pictures of the aircraft.

069-Meteor-F4_zpsc55617bc.jpg

Okay its sticker time.

These will come from the Dutch decals mostly – as these have lots of stencils in English. And you get next to nothing with the kit decals. But I will use some of the kit ones you do get – the Emergency Hood Release plus the Squadron colours.

070-Meteor-F4_zps9f3b3527.jpg

:wow: there is quit a few of these from the Dutch Decal set………..

...........So many hours later these where all stuck on. So just need to give them a brush with Sol then after they have settled back down I will give them a coat of gloss. Yeah I will be ready to move on to some weathering. Getting closer and she's starting to look more meteor-esc. :thumbsup:

So this is where I am and what she looks like ready for the gloss coat to seal them on.

071-Meteor-F4_zpsefcbea9a.jpg

Right getting closer now hope you like the look – so till next time have modelling fun.

Happy Days - Taff :D    

Great work Taff! One of the real shortcomings of the kit decal sheet is the lack of any real stencilling. I think they make a huge difference to all/mostly silver aircraft like this. Yours is looking spectacular though!

Kev

Looking very sharp!

Thanks for looking in Ron

Great work Taff! One of the real shortcomings of the kit decal sheet is the lack of any real stencilling. I think they make a huge difference to all/mostly silver aircraft like this. Yours is looking spectacular though!

Kev

Cheers Kev - Yep this does let them down - I also have the B25 glass nose to do at some point when I am feeling braver! But same issue they spend loads of time doing the amazing surface details and then the decals are vary disapointing and basic in what they give you!

great work. :popcorn:

Mark

Cheers Mark - Nice project started with Hawk. Looking forward to see how that one turns out

Looks the goods there Taff.

Cheers for looking in and posting - it does help motivate you to push on!

Great job mate! I actually might get one of these!

Cheers

Alan

Alan Just do it - you know you want too, so give in and chuck in a Fisher conversion whilst you at it. It all makes perfect sence. :innocent:

Taff,

Absolutely sensational! I think your silver looks right on and in scale, and there's no beating those painted markings!

Cheers, Tom

Cheers Tom - Yep now I have some gloss on her, my home brew HS Silver has come alive! Only worry is what to finish her with – do I stay gloss – or do I go with a semi gloss. I think if I go with a matt it will just flatten everything down and kill the lustre I am getting in the Silver – we will see might have to do an experiment to see what I get?

I love those dynamic diagonals of that saw-tooth!

Sincerely,

Mark

Cheers Mark - Yep really like the triangles too!

Thanks all for looking in - till next time happy plastic bashing :thumbsup:

Taff :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All - Its time for the final push with this one and finally wrap her up!

So with all the paint and stickers done, I broke out the oils to give her some weathering and the lived in look.

I following my newly favourite adopted oil paint technique. the only thing is, as this is the first silver finished plane I have done, I thought I would limit the pallet a bit. Also rather than do the light areas first followed with the dark my thinking is as the base colour is so light I would do a light - dark combo. Bit of an experiment so we will see!

So mixed the light and dark dots then with a small chisel brush, very lightly wet with artist turpentine smeared and worked along the seams etc. This was then blended and wiped back in the air direction

Paint added

072-Meteor-F4_zpse6ec1820.jpg

after the wipe off - I will come back and add some more details smear bits latter

073-Meteor-F4_zps780ea1c8.jpg

okay won't bore you with all this paint on wipe off saga. Just say it took me a couple of days to do the whole of her. Then a couple more to let the oil paint rest up and set.

She was then given a couple of coats of MM Semi Gloss, then another day for this to cure. Went with the semi in the end rather than the gloss finish as I felt it still gave me the depth of shimmer and also blended her together a bit with less sheen. Think the matt would have been to flat IMHO!

Now it is time to put the finishing bits on her - the UC and the aerials

The under cart finally in place - plus you can see my final weathering - more dirty and grunge towards the centre.

074-Meteor-F4_zps29e4ee6f.jpg

Then put the doors on these just dropped into there slots with no fuss. I added a small arm that connects the outer door to the main legs. This was made from one of the rare bits left over in this kit because I didn't extend the air breaks so I just cut up one of the arms. Also note that all my nice scratch work in the front nose is nicely hidden unless you really go and look for it. :doh: Ahhhhh well least I know its there!!!!!

075-Meteor-F4_zps42a4ebb4.jpg

That left the aerials - and she's all done COOOOOL :yahoo: - one of the final glam shoots for you to look at and I will put the rest in RFI thread

076-Meteor-F4_zps8ab4bf65.jpg

Thanks to all who followed along and commented it's been a pleasure to have you along on the journey.

Okay have some issues with the kit, but all in all - the death nose dive excluded - nice build!

Till next time Happy Days - Taff :D

Edited by TaffyMan