gearbay question ZM mustang...

Jack

I'm looking to buy the ZM P51D/K mustang IV and was wondering if its main gear bay is accurate, so not the "boxed-in" versions as with so many other brands (except the Tamiya ofcourse)?

Anyone to shed some light on this?

HTH

Jack

It is accurate. Overall ZM did an ok job but honestly spend the extra $20-40 and get the Tamiya kit.

I have the ZM kit partially built and set aside right now and while overall it's not bad, fit is iffy and detail a little less sharp than with Tamiya. And considering how close they are in price I would say Tamiya is better bang for your buck. Fit alone is a deciding factor.

Just my $.02

Zach

Hi Zach, thanks for your input, and i also have the Tamiya version, but this one is going for less than $95 and was just wondering.

thanks,

Jack.

Don't get me wrong it's totally buildable and if you can get it for a steal then it's probably worth it. In some ways I feel the ZM engine is nicer since they give you the ignition wiring and plumbing that Tamiya lacks. With that said I did not like how ZM handled the exhausts.

Overall though ZM is pretty accurate and offers most of what you get in the Tamiya kit but in a more fiddly and laborious manner. The fit issues are driven by the kits design in that it is made to have many exposed sections so it's hard to have a modular kit with all the innards that ZM gives you that clicks and ticks like the Tamiya kit.

Zach

Hey Jack!

From the get go I had doubts about the meaning of "boxed-in".

What I can say is that Tamiya is about simplicity and the overall troubleless build whatever mistakes you made in the process. It comes out great in the end. No matter what.

Zoukei-Mura is more complex kit, designed for experienced modelers who want to dig in deep into the project and eventually expose more than the usual.

If you really want the proper Mustang, I would say go for the Zoukei-Mura kit.

The fit issues with such kits are not because of the kits but because of some minor misses along the build that everyone of us let happen sometimes. The thing is, within the latter stages they start to show up so you gotta be more careful than with the Tamiya. That's all.

Hey Jack!

From the get go I had doubts about the meaning of "boxed-in".

What I can say is that Tamiya is about simplicity and the overall troubleless build whatever mistakes you made in the process. It comes out great in the end. No matter what.

Zoukei-Mura is more complex kit, designed for experienced modelers who want to dig in deep into the project and eventually expose more than the usual.

If you really want the proper Mustang, I would say go for the Zoukei-Mura kit.

The fit issues with such kits are not because of the kits but because of some minor misses along the build that everyone of us let happen sometimes. The thing is, within the latter stages they start to show up so you gotta be more careful than with the Tamiya. That's all.

Eagle Driver appreciate you comments, and i didn't know at first how to call the gearbay representation often displayed in Mustang kits, but i understand that only Tamiya and ZM made a proper gearbay display, though ofcourse not much of the interior detailing INSIDE the outer parts of the bays can be seen at first.

Anyhow, i think i'll go for the ZM aswell, thanks guys for the info.

Jack.

Eagle Driver appreciate you comments, and i didn't know at first how to call the gearbay representation often displayed in Mustang kits, but i understand that only Tamiya and ZM made a proper gearbay display, though ofcourse not much of the interior detailing INSIDE the outer parts of the bays can be seen at first.

Anyhow, i think i'll go for the ZM aswell, thanks guys for the info.

Jack.

You won't regret your decision. I was wondering the same and I am having a Tamiya Mustang in my stash already.

But I will get the Zoukei P-51 just because it is awesome.

It might require more from you, but gives back a ton.

Edited by Eagle Driver

I have both, built the Tamiya kit and enjoyed it. The fit is designed to be pretty much idiot proof, so there's little chance of screwing it up.

I DON'T like the way Tamiya engineered their tailwheel attachment with those goof poly plugs, etc. It just makes for more work eliminating it all and permanently attaching it as is supposed to happen.

As for ZM, I don't like the "opened up for their Annual Inspection" looking models, so as of right now, I hold out semi high hopes for Revell not buggering up their forthcoming P-51 release.

Hey Clunkmeister!

Nicely said: Tamiya is really and idiot proof! I do believe that this is the reason that they are among my favorite :) Every once in a while each and every one of us is doing stupid mistakes and Tamiya thought about that from the get go.

I do prefer closed models too, but in terms of modeling shows they are more or less a competition suicide. 

As for Revell, I've built their last two 32nd scale birds but the truth is that they cannot compete with the serious players. Let alone Zoukei. You can use the model as a base, but OOTB they worth exactly what you are paying for them.

The ZM kit is awesome :D

Rog :)

Whew! That's good news as I am saving my 303 RAF decals for that build.

I was getting concerned. :)

BTW. Idiot proof is right up my alley.

Revell? Were Revell to make drums, I'd never take one into a recording session. Life and money is too short.

Plus I want another recording session! :D

For a major company to persist in this way in the music industry would see them bought out.

John Good would own Revell.

(Drummers may know to what I refer.) ;)

Well in the long run i gone and did it, bought the ZM Mustang, and since i already have their 229, shinden and Skyraider i should have known what to expect:

Indeed it is a very elaborate kit, much internal detailing ranging from engine to internal structure etc, but i think i'll get it fixed in a way that it will be enjoyable to build, even compared to the "shake-and-bake" Tamiya version (which ofcourse it isn't, don't get me wrong)

thank you guys for all the input, appreciate it.

Jack.

You can rest assured that Z-M's gear bay is pretty accurate; it's how they roll. Almost too much detail at times. I bought the Tamiya Mustang, and haven't regretted my decision. I choose Z-M for their more esoteric subjects: the Ho229, Shinden and Do-335.

If you really want a foolproof kit, pick up one of Tamiya's Corsairs. No magnets, and the only screw is if you want to mount it on the display stand. Attachments on nearly identical parts (L/R) are even keyed differently. It's nearly impossible to put it together incorrectly.