USAF F-35A Lightning II (...overhauled...)

reconspit

Chris, i know what you mean, looking at the model, and trying to visualize the RAM panel realtime colors as to the model itself, but i think you did a very good job, also by toning down the panels, they look convincing to me.

On the other hand, when looking at several pictures of the real aircraft, i feel it depends on how the pictures itself were taken in respect to sun light and such.

Actually you've accomplished a kind of "scale-down-tonedown", and maybe panels painted too bright might have been an "overkill", scale wise.....

Gratuliere, it's inspiring,

Gruß

Jack.

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Very nice work on the F-35 and dealing with all the Italeri fit issues. Not an easy kit for sure and your build will surely help us be ready for dealing with the issues of the kit when underway.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Looks like an F-35...terrible these new airplanes and their stealthy paint jobs all look so drab. Maybe somebody will do a F-35 "what if" of a Thunderbird/Blue Angel F-35 and give it some color!!

You took "the words right out of my ideas", THAT might be a very nice option, especially the TB version!!!

Really good work, for my money ... I think we'll find as people start to post F-35s that the paint scheme is brutally hard to do convincingly. I like what you've done here, and - as awesome as a Thunderbirds scheme would be - I reckon that accurately achieving the look of an F-35, as you've done, is one of the pinnacles of modelling achievement, because all that subtle grey is so bloody hard to do.

My observation on the RAM panels is, I think the contrast looks better on the belly than it does on the top. I found myself asking why, because as far as I can tell, you toned them both back around equally? My theory is, on the top, the presence of the bright white panels and white (or very light grey) decals creates this very contrasty look, such that the low contrast between the RAM panels and the dark grey sort of jars with the high contrast between the decals/white areas and the grey. That contrast mismatch sort of "breaks the illusion" of a scale effect. The white is much less apparent on the bottom, with the result that the RAM contrast looks natural and authentic.

I don't know how I would tackle that scheme to get around the issue. Maybe a light overspray on the white bits and decals to tone them back as well? This would give you more of an "integrated" look across all the colours?

Just my $0.02. The cockpit looks great, I like the canopy and the overall build quality is terrific. Thank you for pioneering this build, I'm going to have to try it once I get my Hornet away!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by ClumsyDude

Your build looks fine, the intel you've provided is much appreciated. I think getting the right look of colors is going to be a challenge, looking at different pics shows a lot of variation depending on lighting, fun times ahead.

Don

Chris,

I think we are our own biggest critic, or so my wife keep telling me!

Your F-35 looks fantastic, and I also agree some colour on modern jets would look fantastic, but I think the modern jet will now be mainly a mono tone low vis paint job.

But I really like your model, and I'd be happy with that effort on my display shelf. Great job!