Mals Way, Corsair, USS Bunker Hill, Carrier Deck, Part II.

Thanks All For Them kind Words.

Allright here is how i did my springs for them Engine cowling flaps on a Corsair.

First thing first, need to manufactor a own tool for this, in my case a brass tybe Ø1mm, drilled a small hole in it, then smothen it out with fine 2000grit wetpaper to remove them gradings, need to do that, or else wont be able to remove the spring and it will be defected...

IMG_1275_zpsoirc7akf.jpg

Now the Tools and material, the copper wire is from a cord with suitable fine wires after desired taste. Scissor, scalpel, drillshaft with the brassube with a hole in it, and a awl.

IMG_1276_zps2uiuq8ve.jpg

Not that copper wire, make like this, total when with that half loop, 1,5cm (total lenght 3cm)....

IMG_1289_zpsjbqdyxpc.jpg

Now take that drillshaft with the brasstube that we done earlier, and put them ends in the hole....note my finger on the back pressing, keep doing that, and start to twist the handle...need som preassure to keep the copper wire down...

IMG_1279_zpsgwbw05ae.jpg

and twist...and use the awl to make shure that the copperwire is streched, since we want that uniform look...and make shure that the copper wire aglines nicely aside each other and not on top of each other....allright...now we got something that starts to look like a spring....

IMG_1281_zpsp8tvx60d.jpg

Them ends in the hole....yes they need bo be cutted, or else we wont be able to remove the spring....now gently pull them small ends up with a scalpel....

IMG_1283_zpswg39sivw.jpg

like so...

IMG_1284_zpsdcspytdb.jpg

Now the scissors to cut em ends away....and after that remove the spring...

IMG_1286_zps4neixte0.jpg

Voila....

IMG_1288_zpssnrgd7ae.jpg

I hope you like Mals Way....but this is how i did multiple springs that are the same and lengths...

/Mal

Mal, these birds did not go ashore, so i'd be very careful with the chalking and the chipping. The later -1As were the ones that went ashore and got all weathered up. 

Fabulous work so far!!

david

Thanks for the heads up David.

Im in for theese on USS Bunkerhill, and they had some wear and tear....

Note the exhaust stains.....on belly....interesting....i like it.

F4U-1CorsairaircraftofVF-17isbeinglifted

Note them flaps and some panels, and the panel just behind thje cowling flap...

F4U-1CorsairaircraftofVF-17isupsetinland

F4U-1_VF-17_landing_on_USS_Charger_CVE-3

Interesting indeed....

/Mal

Kev......

Im very shure that you pull it of..after seeing your doing on your corsair...that looks fantastic.

I did a few error and trials...beleive me...as the pic whith them discarded springs

When method found after a while tetris in mind...se solution how the hell to get something to look like s spring....

One tool is optivisor...use that all the time.

/Mal

Fantastic start Mal, 

Your Zero and FW 190 where great threads to read, I will be sure to follow this one too!

And thanks for the little "how to" on the cowl springs, such a great solution to the problem... that,s exactly what model making is all about.

Edited by Fooesboy