Kinetic P-47D Razorback

TimW

• 3 weeks later...

In the home stretch, finally, with this one. Unfortunately, Kinetic apparently decided to go with the Reader's Digest version of the plans, and I have a lot of stencils and no good idea of where they all go, exactly.

Anyone have any ideas about how to proceed? Very frustrating!

Alright, after a few creative Google searches and squinting at various instruction sheets, I think I figured out where most of those stencils go.

And here's some evidence of progress.

Here's one of before I really got the decaling going and the primed but unpainted pilot.  This really was a big aircraft.

IMG_20170511_183638545_zpsdshxi4yo.jpg

The pilot (from Reedoak).  This is one of the nicest figures I've seen for this scale/etc.  Still doing touch ups, shading, etc.

IMG_20170514_105119254%201_zpstvyburud.j

The aircraft.   Awaiting final weathering and details, then a nice spray of Dullcote.   This some of the naughtier noseart I've put on an aircraft.  Heck, that's why I finally went with it.

IMG_20170513_100457226_zpsumpmiigo.jpg

More pics to come.

Found out the canopy mask I ordered was for a bubbletop.  Yes, I'm a genius.... :doh:

Cheers,

Tim W.

Edited by TimW

Great work! That pilot figure is right up there, just extraordinary - how did you do the eyes so convincingly?

Jim

Jim--

If you have the Shep Paine book about diorama building, there's an entire section that gives you a step by step on how to do faces.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Dioramas-Aircraft-Figure/dp/0890241953

I ignored it for years.  Can't say why.  But once I started following his tips, my figure's faces improved a hundredfold, especially in avoiding the vitamin deficient/bug eyed problem that plagues so many modelers.    

The key is don't use white for the whites of the eyes--totally out of scale and makes the figure look over-caffeinated at best.  Use lighter flesh tone (or base flesh tone).  Also, I do the eyes by doing a stripe that goes vertically for the color, then vertically for the pupil.  One you paint the eye borders, you neatly avoid the whole bug-eyed look.

I won't say it's easy, but with practice you can really get some excellent results, I think.

Tim W.

Jim--

If you have the Shep Paine book about diorama building, there's an entire section that gives you a step by step on how to do faces.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Dioramas-Aircraft-Figure/dp/0890241953

I ignored it for years.  Can't say why.  But once I started following his tips, my figure's faces improved a hundredfold, especially in avoiding the vitamin deficient/bug eyed problem that plagues so many modelers.    

The key is don't use white for the whites of the eyes--totally out of scale and makes the figure look over-caffeinated at best.  Use lighter flesh tone (or base flesh tone).  Also, I do the eyes by doing a stripe that goes vertically for the color, then vertically for the pupil.  One you paint the eye borders, you neatly avoid the whole bug-eyed look.

I won't say it's easy, but with practice you can really get some excellent results, I think.

Tim W.

"Vitamin-Deficient"

"Bug-Eyed"

"Over-Caffeinated"

Technically that describes half the pilots in the regional airline industry.

-d-

Thanks, all.

Especially for the laugh re: pilot facial expressions.... :rofl:

More to come, as well as some pics of other aircraft bits, angles, etc.

Tim,

Just a great job on building that huge 1/24 scale Jug. The paint scheme and decaling came out perfect. I'm not really into figures, but yours is quite well done. 

Joel

OK...almost done, but I somehow managed to order a D bubbletop canopy mask...pure genius on my part!

The correct mask should be arriving today or tomorrow; then I'll wrap this one up, get some exhaust stains/etc on it and call it done.

OK--so did anybody who built this wonder why the light on the underside of the starboard wing does not appear to have a clear plastic piece that fits?  

Um...may have to cut my own or something.   There are some weird things about the Kinetic boxing.  It's like they left some stuff out, got in a hurry, or whatever.

Still, a more or less trouble free build, but not for the inexperienced.

Tim W.

Nice and neat Tim. You are on a roll.

My kit arrived in the mail today. I have never seen anything like this!  First you pull out this crazy fuselage with your eyes popping out of your head in awe. Then you pull sprue after sprue out the box for a very long time going "Wow" like some hippy.

I felt the exact same way when I reviewed the kit a few months a few months back, it's massive nature is really something else.