Civilized Models, large scale air racers on the way.

86Sabreboy1

If you are expecting Tamiya fit and quality then these kits are not for you. They do require some work and model building skill. 

I run a commission business on the side, and have built Silerwings, HpH (currently working on) Heritage, Fisher M&P, Battle-Axe, Avis, Planet Models and a host of numerous other resin manufactures.    After spending THOUSANDS of cumulative dollars of my own and customers money on high dollar resin kits, only to have to re-engineer the kit, Ill most definitely be needing to see  the kit before purchase.

Having 5 Tamiya kits in the stash Im also very versed in how those go together as well. 

One certainly should not ever expect any cottage industry manufacturer to have a kit that drops together like Tamiya-sans kits do, and no modeler can expect perfection, but as a very experienced resin builder I can say with 100% confidence (especially after building the original release of Heritages Reno racers) that just because a manu says their kit looks and builds good, there is no guarantee of said model being either; even after paying upwards of $150. 

Ill not be ripped off like that again. 

My current project is a $320 resin kit, that so far I've had to do a significant amount of re-engineering on, and the fun has  barely begun. This includes several mistakes on this $320 kit that would have been easily be rectified by being a bit more thorough, and a bit more R & D.   

Being able to put work into a resin kit, and having the skill to do so, has absolutely nothing to do with at the very least expecting a certain amount of engineering and finishing to be done prior to you getting the kit regardless of the medium. 

Any resin kit, even FM&P Kits take more work that IM or mixed media kits, that is true. The difference is that one should always expect to have to do some adjusting and some fitment work on any resin kit, but one should not ever have to re-engineer a kit, or put up with a kit that doesn't fit at all, for the same or higher price that most IM manus want.  

Guest Peterpools

Brian pretty much covered all the bases.

Right now I'm mainly interested in the BD-5J and would like to see the actual kit other then a CAD drawing before purchasing. I'm not even questioning the price of $80 for a kit that will surely be tiny as the BD-5J length is a whopping 12 feet and a wing span of 17 feet!

Peter

Agreed. Their pricing structure looks fairly decent at 160-ish for Tsunami, but there is no way Im pre-ordering anything, regardless of price discounts. On the other-hand unless the kit is up to IM quality and fit, there is likely no way Im paying  $225 however, if/when the prices jump up.   So it may be a moot point for me regardless. 

All depends on kit pics and/or review.  

• 4 months later...

This company is new to me, as I haven't been in the aircraft modelling world for a while, but if, as I assume, they are 3D printed from those CAD renderings, surely the engineering and fit should be taken as working if not perfect.  When I made a master for a large scale model aircraft, fit and finish were paramount. I wouldn't dream of doing it any other way.  It's not rocket science after all to make something fit.  If Brian has found so many high end resins to be badly designed, that means that a lot of pattern makers have looked at a crappy joint and thought, "Oh, that'll do, near enough"  That is disgraceful.  And to read that any of Paul Fisher's kits suffer from the same thing is a big surprise. His old car kits were superb and Paul is a fussy devil for sure.

I wonder if there is differential; shrinkage rearing its ugly head with some of these kits, which, as most casters won't commit to a definite shrinkage rate is not really the pattern makers' fault.

I could NEVER get a shrinkage rate from any white metal caster with whom I ever worked and that's quite a few over the years.

Martin