Israeli A-4N Conversion?

otis252

Hi Chuck,

I used the Wingman Wings conversion on mine ( http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=69448&hl= )  and can highly recommend it. The only real problem I remember was the 30mm cannons and new underwing ammo covers not fitting great, but that was pretty easy to fix. I believe they are available on Sprue Brothers. Good luck with your build

Edited by Brenhen

Thanks guys!I'll be ordering the Wingman Wings set from SB for sure. Now about those intakes, are the kit intakes the enlarged ones for the this aircraft, do I need the AMS set? Also, what is the source for the decals used in your great build Brenhen? Any other info would be helpful, many thanks.

Chuck

There is one set of Isradecal on eBay.  If you are in the US, I can look to see if I have an extra set.  As for the intakes, the A-4E/F has an intake that is almost vertical on the plane when the bird is in flight.  The A-4M has a slightly forward intake with a slant downward when in flight.  It can be a bit difficult to tell from the ground.  The A-4H is based on the F and the A-4N is based on the M.  That being said, you have to start with a M to do an N and a E/F for the H.  Harold makes some intakes for the E/F/H, but nothing for the M/N.  I believe you will be fine starting with the M kit.

There is one set of Isradecal on eBay.  If you are in the US, I can look to see if I have an extra set.  As for the intakes, the A-4E/F has an intake that is almost vertical on the plane when the bird is in flight.  The A-4M has a slightly forward intake with a slant downward when in flight.  It can be a bit difficult to tell from the ground.  The A-4H is based on the F and the A-4N is based on the M.  That being said, you have to start with a M to do an N and a E/F for the H.  Harold makes some intakes for the E/F/H, but nothing for the M/N.  I believe you will be fine starting with the M kit.

Is it possible you could post two photos showing the difference between them? I could possibly do the M/N if I could see the difference. 

Is it possible you could post two photos showing the difference between them? I could possibly do the M/N if I could see the difference. 

I will have to see if I have some good pics.  If I do I will send them to you and post them here.  I need to get out my M kit to see what is in it as well compared to the F.  Might be a couple of days as I have slowly been rebuilding my laptop and desktop.  Both crashed hard.  The desktop was a motherboard issue and not recoverable so I got a new Dell XPS.  This one should easily be able to do some 3D work so I can start making some objects with shapeways.  The laptop had to be reformatted due to Winblows.

What is the best starting kit for an IDF A-4N? Hasegawa A-4E or Trumpeter A-4M? Hasegawa is all positive rivetted but his muzzle seems to be closer (in profile) to the real thing (though the windscreen was not correct for a N).

Edited by Luca

Probably the Trumpeter -M kit for an -N. The problem with using the Hasegawa E/F kit is that I don't think anyone makes the windscreen and canopy for the M/N that you'll need. Plus you also need to modify the E/F fuselage for the new canopy since the sill line is different.

With the Trumpeter -M kit out, there seems little reason to try to mod the Hasegawa kit into an -N. If you really want to use the Hasegawa kit, make a fully upgraded IAF -F or -H model. Visually, there is little difference other than the canopy and windscreen.