Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 "Yellow 11"

Thunnus

Wow! This is definitely one of the most beautiful large scale Doras I have ever seen, especially the paint-job is just amazing. And it is superbly photographed too. Hats off.

Thanks for sharing some in progress photos, very inspiring.   

Best 

Hubert

Thanks again for all of the positive comments!

Wow.  Some of the most convincing paint chipping work I've seen.  What technique did you use?

Congratulations on a superb piece of work. 

Thanks!  Main chipping along the wing roots was using the hairspray method.  I was aiming to utilize more of the hairspray method along the fuselage sides adjacent to the cockpit but I ended up doing a lot of mottle touch-ups and replacing the RLM81 with a new shade.  Too much paint over the hairspray so I couldn't get it to come off.  The hairspray chips were augmented with colored pencils.  Primarily silver and brown on top and grey and brown on the bottom.  I like to mix different colors when I chip with pencils.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like your variations with the browns, grays and greens in the camouflage. All of the mottling is perfect with no grainy airbrush overspray errors, and the contrast is outstanding with the color selection.  The raised rivets are great!  Also, you did a marvelous job with the tension spring mounted to the tail!  Super! I would love to see more of your work in 1/32 Luftwaffe subjects.

Thank you! I've been struggling to find a matte clear that I can depend on. I like the look of the Alclad Klear Kote Flat but I have curing issues with the Alclad clear finishes. It just doesn't seem to dry fully. Right now I am using Alclad Aqua Gloss (which I really like) with Tamiya Flat Base but it has a tendency to turn whitish if you push the flatness too much. You can see this effect start to rear its ugly head on the RLM83 patches on the gun cowl and upper wings. So I have my eyes and ears open for a better alternative.

Testors Dullcoat is a great alternative. You could also add their clear to the dullcoat to get differant sheens to add that little extra bit of realism. Although what you've acieved with your build is nothing short of excellent.

Cheers Bevan

• 6 months later...