Tamiya Spitfires- HF VII and VIII

BloorwestSiR

The old standard procedure we used from way back in the 70's was a damp warmish towel, not a wet hot towel. We wanted the damp heat to help soften the decal so it would settle down into the nooks and crannies. A hot damp towel will effect the clear coats and paints we use in modeling.

I've been using Paul Budzik's decaling method as a modification to my own, and it works very well.  Besides the addition of Solvaset, he uses a damp warm towel in his decaling process.  Here's a link to Paul's decaling video. it's really worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chCLz7xnnZQ

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Guest Peterpools

Hi Carl

Geez, your Spit is looking fantastic and I'm just the opposite - a water slide decal guy. Sounds to me as if Kev nailed the cause of the problem.

Any plan in effect for the bottom? Since there was no bubbling or cracking, some masking and a bit of air brush work should do the trick.

Reminds me a bit of when I put my underway Mossie on a paper towel soaked with Tamiya Air brush cleaner except the modeling Gods were a lot kinder to you.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

The old standard procedure we used from way back in the 70's was a damp warmish towel, not a wet hot towel. We wanted the damp heat to help soften the decal so it would settle down into the nooks and crannies. A hot damp towel will effect the clear coats and paints we use in modeling.

I've been using Paul Budzik's decaling method as a modification to my own, and it works very well.  Besides the addition of Solvaset, he uses a damp warm towel in his decaling process.  Here's a link to Paul's decaling video. it's really worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chCLz7xnnZQ

Joel

Joel, thanks for the tips and the video. It's funny, I never really had an issue with decals say, fifteen or twenty years ago. It's only been more recently where I've run into problems. I still have a B5 Starfury with a large nose art kit decal applied over flat paint. There's no silvering, it confirms to the panel lines and contours perfectly and I don't think I used any sort of setting solution on it!

I think for me it's the hassle of the clear coat and everything else but I'll use them as needed.

Hi Carl

Geez, your Spit is looking fantastic and I'm just the opposite - a water slide decal guy. Sounds to me as if Kev nailed the cause of the problem.

Any plan in effect for the bottom? Since there was no bubbling or cracking, some masking and a bit of air brush work should do the trick.

Reminds me a bit of when I put my underway Mossie on a paper towel soaked with Tamiya Air brush cleaner except the modeling Gods were a lot kinder to you.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Peter, it was definitely having the model sit over the tub of hot water that caused the issue.

Your right that it wasn't as bad as what happened to your Mossie. I'm going to just spray a touch up over the affected areas.

Which I did:

IMG_20170409_215922_1.jpg

I also added the stenciling to the model as required.

The following pics aren't the best at my cell phone died and I've been using an older one until I get my replacement.

I used RB's excellent PE rad screens and added the retracted gear legs.

IMG_20170413_205832.jpg

With the fairings in place:

IMG_20170415_095021.jpg

• 1 month later...

A small update as I got distracted by a big lumbering Skyraider :)

The VIII Grey Nurse is now completed and in the display case. I forgot to take some RFI shots so will do that sometime this week hopefully. Here she is for now sharing shelf space with my F-104S:

20170604_143010.jpg

Back to the VII, I did some work on engine bits.

IMG_20170425_134512.jpg

Preping and painting the exhaust pipes:

IMG_20170421_091246.jpg

IMG_20170427_140735.jpg