Trumpeter's SBD-1 UPDATE: 2/18/18: THE GEAR: DONE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Don

Much appreciated and really appreciate you checking out the cowl. I'm starting to feel a lot better about it now.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks gaz

First reading Don's comments on the cowl and yours. I'm pretty sure I'm over the hump/ I still have along ways to go on the wing seam and hopefully by the weekend I'll have it squared away

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks  John

Much appreciated and of course, as I tinker more with the business end, the lower scoop at the rear of the cowling is just as bad - only larger. Oh what joy

But, still plugging away

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Guy, much appreciated

It surely would be great if we all could get together, meet and see  see some of our work.

Petr

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Andy.

The SBD is starting to come together now and the classic Dauntless look is finally  taking shape

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 1/22/18: WHAT A WASTE OF TIME

Time is short and I have a contest I hope to enter in early April; wasting bench time and constantly going back and re-doing work is a necessary killer. Trying to do better is the whole point of entering the contest BUT wasting HOURS, DAYS AND WEEKS building and painting assemblies and parts that I at first thought might be seen and then rationalizing it: well at least I know it's in there, is insane! All the work and time I spent on every spec of plastic behind the Wright Cyclone to the cockpit fuselage bulkhead has been not only a huge waste of time but created some fit issues all of there own!

In 2006 Trumpeter released the SBD-1/2 Dauntless and in their wisdom of the day, subscribed to the idea that see though parts were the way to go and would allow the builder to look inside the completed model and enjoy the details. To me the clear parts are a toy like feature along with those inaccurate, thin and ugly rubber tires that has cause problems all along the way.

I spent a ton of time, fussing, fitting, painting and even going so far as to do the necessary NMF where needed. As I finally approached the point of assembling all the mini sub assemblies, fit was an issue and after spending a boat load of time, working out the fit issues, every part, was not only hidden from view but sealed up in the rear cowling assembly to add insult to injury. Do I blame Trumpeter for wasting my time on all the hidden parts: yes and no. I should have looked way ahead and realized this but I didn't. How about a BIG warning or note in the instructions pointing out this out that nothing can be seen if the cowl is painted along with the fuselage. ALL THOSE PARTS COULD BE LEFT ON THE FRETS AND IN THE BOX, as adding them to the kit it a total waste of time. Yup, they belong in the box, untouched as better never to be seen still in the box, then never to be seen after adding them to the model.

Well, I said my peace and now I do feel better.

At this point, I present the entire cowl and engine assembly assembled and now ready to be installed on the model (the nose cowl still needs to be glued into place). On the rear lower cowling another intake that needed a lot of work; yes another fun filled clear plastic, brittle part - thank goodness it's done. The upper cowl insert still need to be glued in place after the engine assembly has been permanently glued into place.

What took me weeks, in reality, without the 'hidden parts', I could have done in two or three days.

Up next – finish up the wing roots, add the lost rivets and start thinking about the glass.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

6maHU9.jpg

UKqQcm.jpg

2nosJv.jpg

bxjaUE.jpg

I rest my case

scybgX.jpg

Edited by Peterpools