1/32 Tamiya Big Beautiful Doll, ready to fly.

CANicoll

Guest Peterpools

CANicoll,

Wonderful build. Fit and finish is spot on. My first Tamiya P-51 was done in the same markings and none better looking.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Awesome build and a fine looking model. Since my bride lavished me with a second Tamiya Mustang for Christmas, I've been thinking a lot about the BBD. You did a great job and I may give it a go based on how nice yours looks! What ever the case, I'll be sure to post it here!

Edited by Bravo52

• 2 weeks later...

CANicoll,

MY FAVORITE model for the year 2015.

SHE IS HOT !!  STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS .

I followed your WIP and you have gone thru a lot but this turned out AMAZINGLY lovely. :m0152: :m0152:

Good job Sir,. well done. :party0023:

Maru:  You are far too kind but I very much appreciate the comments!!  Thank you, thank you!! Chris

Awesome build and a fine looking model. Since my bride lavished me with a second Tamiya Mustang for Christmas, I've been thinking a lot about the BBD. You did a great job and I may give it a go based on how nice yours looks! What ever the case, I'll be sure to post it here!

Jerry:  A second Tamiya kit?  Wow!  If you are doing a checkered-nose Mustang, I definitely have some suggestions and notes to share with you.  BBD in particular is a challenge as, IMHO, you will need two different sets of aftermarket decals to make it work easily unless you go with the masking option. Let me know how I can help!

Chris

CANicoll,

Wonderful build. Fit and finish is spot on. My first Tamiya P-51 was done in the same markings and none better looking.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Peter:  Oh, I don't know about that!  I used your Old Crow for inspiration and it is a work of art.  Thanks for the comments and the support!

• 1 month later...

Wonderful build. I am also considering doing BBD with my Tamiya P-51D. Two questions.

1. I have read that the Zotz decals can be quite thin and have to be handled with care or their tear. How did you find these ones?

2. The painting of the white stripe. It look as though it was done near the nose?

3. General question for all. Has anyone used both Zotz and Eagle Cals? I was thinking of getting the Eagle Cal BBD ones as I was not aware Zotz did a BBD set. Also, I think Zukei Mura makes a set for their P-51 but not sure about those.

Dave.

Edited by Totalize

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful build. I am also considering doing BBD with my Tamiya P-51D. Two questions.

1. I have read that the Zotz decals can be quite thin and have to be handled with care or their tear. How did you find these ones?

2. The painting of the white stripe. It look as though it was done near the nose?

3. General question for all. Has anyone used both Zotz and Eagle Cals? I was thinking of getting the Eagle Cal BBD ones as I was not aware Zotz did a BBD set. Also, I think Zukei Mura makes a set for their P-51 but not sure about those.

Dave.

Sorry for the delay in responding, very busy at work.

1.  I found the Zotz Decals worked very well and not too thin to work with, especially as large as they are on the nose of this aircraft.  They didn't go down fantastically well, but eventually the detail did come through.  See note 3 however.

2.  yes, near the nose but I did a horrible job matching the white.

3.  EagleCal BBD decals in 1/32 does not fit any of the 1/32 P-51D kits.  I had extensive discussions with the nice folks at EagleCal and they simply scaled up their 1/48 scale decals to 1/32 size.  Unfortunately (or fortunately), Tamiya did not do the same and the shape of the 1/32 nose is very different than the shape of the 1/48 Mustang nose.  The EagleCal nose checkers simply do not fit.  The rest of the set, however, for the wingtip decals, fit pretty well and the fuselage details are terrific.  The one downside is the Zotz nose checkers are not the exact replacement for the BBD checkers - the curve towards the rear of the fuselage is not quite the same on the Zotz set as on BBD.

Happy to discuss in detail if you have further questions.

Chris