An Old Friend...Revell 1/48 P-40B Finished

fightnjoe

• 2 weeks later...
With the continuing movement forward with the videos on this build it is time to throw out some better, used very loosely, quality images of the weathering.

First up, and each of these will be a kind of summary of what happened.

First the initial process was with a gloss coat I used Titanium White, cheaper oil set, to try to get some streaking and a bit of weather staining on the fuselage.  I also used Burnt Umber, same set, to try to get some distinct staining on the panels of the engine area.  I did not like the way this came out.  

Anyway the pics.

aSaH8dq.jpg

jbbJaQN.jpg

nkzpjNL.jpg

bTh61Uz.jpg

The process is started anyway.  Teaser, a bit of a change in execution is next up.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Ok for this update let me talk about my methods.

First up for me was a drybrush of Testors Flat Aluminium.  This concentrated on areas I felt and have seen received excess wear and tear on the paint due to crew use or even weathering.  Along those lines I also used my cheap Oil Paint Titanium White with an abused round brush as well as two sizes of flat brush.  I put small dots into the centerish of panels and then worked them into the paint.  Mind you that this is being done over a flat clear layer.  After several passes that encompassed varied panels I came to the decision that one of my more recent investments needed to be used here.  

Recently I purchased four sets of Abteilung 502 Oil Paints.  Beginning with ABT070 Dark Rust I began to play a bit with panel lines.  After just a brief attempt I just had the thought that it didnt look right.  I used a cotton bud to remove most of it and brought out ABT004 Bitume and began to work around some of the lines.  I tried to keep this to where dirt and grime would build up and where the weather would cause streaking.  I did this over several sessions.  

Overall there is several hours of work.  

h39tR8o.jpg

7695LDp.jpg

a5h0in1.jpg

F1fbJgZ.jpg

In the next update I will show what at the time I thought was the weathering finished.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Many many thanks.  For this build no, nothing out of the box.  Future attempts, who knows.

Ok this is the last, or what I thought was the last, of the weathering.

For this part I did go back over the different panels with the oils again.  This time my main goal was to add a bit of blending.  I did manage to get some better definition on some of the panels and did add some further effects on the panels near the cowl.  

RIzoMUY.jpg
uvVACjL.jpg
fj8ZzGB.jpg
XQVuZNb.jpg
sSii4ge.jpg
pvbC7dD.jpg
1aGL9FI.jpg
680IDiS.jpg
ve5QGjG.jpg

Now following this set of photos this build went quickly.  The small bits went on with little issue other than the canopy.  I will expand on that more on the final update but for now I will leave these with you.

Joe

My friends this build is finished.

Following the last update the little things were completed and attached.  There was one issue that is now a glaring reminder to me that it is not over until it is over.  One of the last attachments was the clear parts.  Following my normal procedure I fitted them and then used Tamiya Extra Thin to attach.  This time the glue marred the surface and made the clear nasty.  This does happen and in itself it did not bother me too much except for the idea that I had been working this "live" and did not have alternative parts.

All in all this experiment was a success in my mind and I put it to the shelf with a smile.

1nHyv41.jpg

ZCYCDEa.jpg

oHIA8oX.jpg

BiVkSoO.jpg

HDMSw1x.jpg

U1e7bUH.jpg

CZi7LQR.jpg

xVsFIRz.jpg

xVsFIRz.jpg

nP34bz4.jpg

Joe