SA-23E Mitchell-Hyundyne Starfury

spacewolf

Hey all..it's been far too long. My apologies for not being on, lets just say life has been 'interesting'. I have not forgotten my TA-183 but back in March I got challenged to build a model very dear to my heart, the B-5 Starfury. Along with the challenge was the offer of a commission build if I could pull the test build off. I've been at it for some time and the journey, along with 'life' has not been easy but I'm finally to the point I'm confidant I can do the ship justice so I'm going to share the journey with you guys. It's been a tough process and I didn't want to put it out there till I was sure I wouldn't give up on it. So..here we go... just the beginning but there will be regular updates over the next few weeks.

The B-5 Starfury is my favorite space/ SI-FI fighter of all time...

hDt3Czs.jpg

It is not a pretty ship..no smooth lines and pretty curves..this is more like the JU-87 Stuka...so ugly it looks good.. a purpose build ship, all business.

Revell released a kit of it it 1/72 scale to much rejoicing..till we saw how inaccurate it was...still, it caught the look of the ship quite well AND it was the only game in town (plus tons of 'wing art' decals were made for it.) so it was bought and built in good numbers.

.Akemt1h.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Very little was published about the ship, most of the available pics were poor quality screen grabs and the ship was shown in heavy shadow (no pun intended) so it took a lot of research to get even close to being accurate. The best references are the pictures on starshipmodeler.com and the three view drawings in the B-5 Security Manual.

.iKJzDIO.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

I had tried a 1/24th scale build years ago but the project foundered because of the between wing fuel tanks...on the Revell kit the tanks are shown as individual cells with gaps between them but in discussion with people who handled the actual meshes used in the show I was informed that the so called gaps were the actual fuel cell.. they were always shown as black..and in viewing the scenes from the show you never see light through those area's.

First step was blow up the plans to 1/32...shown with the Moebius Viper for scale ...

.YjPnG47.jpg

Nose on the Viper vanishes into the cockpit of the 'Fury.. this is NOT going to be a small model..

c2ukEu8.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Good to see you back Vaughn! You already know how much I'll be looking forward to this one. Hope everything is OK with you mate.

Kev

Slow but sure life is settling down..I hope ! It's good to be getting back in the groove....and ya, I know you're gonna be loving this. :)

First thing was to get the fuselage built..everything runs off of that. There are so many angles on this ship it is a major headache..the slightest mistake in an angle will compound out to make a mess of things as the ship progresses..so everything has to be spot on.

neecM8p.jpg

I had to build two of these...screwed up on some of the angles on the first one, plus I was trying to figure out mounting points and wiring...ya, I want to have lights in this thing.

teHII0h.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

The front of the fuselage with the cockpit walls, floor and ceiling framed up....funny how it always struck me that the cockpit looked coffin like...

TCdGpqT.jpg

The rear...angles, angles, angles... and the beginning of the lower wing center section.

i3BpNnM.jpg

That's it for this time..more in a few days.

Cheers

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf