Indy 500...yay!

Guest Smitty44

Guest Smitty44

I grew up around Indy car racing. My dad built drag boat engines with the third brother Louie Unser, and worked with big AL in some capacity. He even got to ride in the pace car at Indy one year when the car was nothing compared to the pace cars of today. Here is a picture of me as an ugly little boy with Al and Bobby's sister in law at Phoenix. Al Sr's in the background(not sure now) and while I know the guy on the right next to him is someone of importance, I can't put my finger on who he is. Today is one of my favorite days of the year!

11116281_10204311150603239_8492862278403

Edited by Smitty44

I'm a indy car racing fan as well. I'll have the 500 on ABC or streamed on ESPN for sure. BTW, the guy with the hat, is that Smokey Yunick? The black hat was his trademark from what I remember.

Joel

Guest Smitty44

I'm a indy car racing fan as well. I'll have the 500 on ABC or streamed on ESPN for sure. BTW, the guy with the hat, is that Smokey Yunick? The black hat was his trademark from what I remember.

Joel

Smokey was NASCAR I believe, and that guy is suited up with a helmet in his hands. I thought it was Al but I think he wore a white suit in 1970

Smokey was NASCAR I believe, and that guy is suited up with a helmet in his hands. I thought it was Al but I think he wore a white suit in 1970

I believe that Smokey was at Indy in his younger years as a chassis and engine builder. 

Joel