Trumpeter's SBD-1 UPDATE: 2/18/18: THE GEAR: DONE

Guest Peterpools

Peter,

First off, the engine and cowling look great. And I can sympathize about those times when we feel like its all wasted effort. We've all done it, for whatever reason.

But in a big way, what we do is more than just about the finished product. It's the steps we take to get there that make any build worth the while.

Enjoy the journey.

Gaz

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Kev

Just felt good to get it off my chest. When I realizd I was going to seal everything up, it just seemed like I wasted a lot of time. I would have even beed happy, if there was a way of sneaking a peek but, live and learn.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Gaz

Misery always loves company! But the assembly is now done and after I finish riveting the wing roots and adding the glass, I'm also ready for priming - thank goodness.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Tony

Glad you didn't waste a lot of time like I did and next time, I'll make sure of what is done the road before I start gluing plastic

Peter

'Time is short and I have a contest I hope to enter in early April'

I worked a career of deadlines.  I don't miss working toward a deadline.  Maybe move your deadline to another contest.  Relieve the pressure.

'What took me weeks, in reality . . . I could have done in two or three days.'

Yeah, but what you've done looks so NICE!

Best of luck with whatever you decide, Brother Bear.

Sincerely,

Mark

Maybe a waste of time but I bet it was very satisfying to work on all the pieces that you cannot see now, I often have a chuckle after spending a lot of time working on cockpits then to find that not much of that glorious detail can be seen once the fuselage is closed and the windscreen/canopy is in place. But I do enjoy doing it.

Cheers

Dennis

Know exactly what you mean Peter. That's why I left everything out back of the firewall, engine bearers, oil tank and so on. Fit was a lot better for the firewall though. But from what I see now, you're getting closer to primer time! :yahoo:

I'm a bit stalled on mine, waiting for the masks so I'll keep an eye on your build!

Cheers

Guest Peterpools

101 Scale

Under normal circumstances that would have been an option but with my SBD being contest bound (first one in nearly 30 years) I decided to enter the Box Stock category and contests rules prohibit altering  the kit (opening up panels) at all. The model has to be built exactly as per kit instructions other then using AM decals and a different paint scheme plus MG's can be drilled out and antenna can be added from stretch sprue. I'm not even sure if I can use EZ line instead of stretched sprue.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

Much appreciated but the IPMS Noreastcon was the goal and I'm going to surely try and make it plus who knows where it will be next year. See what happens.

Still just seems a bad way of designing the kit. Why couldn't Trumpeter just make a removable panel, as they did one in the rear of the fusleage?

I'm pushing on and see what happens

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Dennis

Exactly but I just wish I looked ahead only because of the deadline for finishing.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Andre

Right with ya! I can't believe how much time I spent and struggled with the fit issues to get where I am now. I'm adding the lost rivet details on the wing roots, then will be gluing on the engine cowl assembly and glass. Then it hopefully will be priming time.

Any idea how long it will be before your masks arrive?

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

I re-read the rules and I am not allowed to alter the kit and since the access panel are only a molded detail, cutting them out isn't allowed. If only Trumpeter would have molded in a few access panels -

I'm over it now and moving on as I need to get to the priming stage hopefully in a few weeks

Peter