Revell DH-Sea Venom 1/32

TaffyMan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folkes - Back with a bit of an update

Excellent work  !!

Thanks for looking in Loic - Not sure about excellent but this sure does make you and the room dusty! can't wait till the final bit of filling and sanding is done.

Looking great Taff!  Way to man that fuselage!   :)

Kai

Cheers Kai - Yep still fighting me - but I will ‘ave it!!!!! just been looking at the progress on the A-10!!!!! You really kicking that and I do love a Tank Buster.

Update

So after the canopy had a good couple of days to set. The next task was to try and blend it into the fuselage. Because the fuselage didn't meet this left a ridge along the bottom edge of the canopy. :doh:

I carefully scraped this back with a curved blade till it was back flush. Then with some small bits of wet & dry smoothed and blended the curve back in. Right next thing to tackle was the gaps. Shame I couldn't get the top to join as the fit of the canopy was spot on……… but anyway back to what I have! I wanted to use super glue here as my filler? But rather than the talk mix - which is white - I thought I would try an experiment and used some dark grey and black ground chalk.  

041-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsf8ad0d5e.jpg

Uhmmmmm nice tar effect :innocent:

I have also done some work on the wings. I cut and rubbed back the - I think they are sone kind of anti vortex thing on the ends of the wings - The kit has them as solid shapes. So I measured, using my eyeball measuring kit, cut in two thin strips then removed the rest. My thinking was by doing this I will then get a constant gap to the wing edge. Then using some of my beer can left over from the Meteor intakes cut out the shapes - forgot I traced the shape onto some tape before I started the butchery - Using the curve that was in the can. I then added two thin strips of plastic sheet to make it look connected to the wings. Next I started to cut the wing strakes out of thin brass which was fine and the shape was spot on……. but I bottled it and whent back to the kit parts!!!!! easier to glue! These are very thick so I gave them some rubbing treatment to thin them down. Then stuck then in place.

The gap left from my thinning was filled with glue and talk mix and rubbed back. Bit of MrS 500 to get rid of any blemishes and marks.

042-SeaVenomFAW22_zps58e405bd.jpg

Bit more of a closer look - also I have rubbed off and re-scribed the raised lines that where on the wing tops.

043-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsa3c5c37e.jpg

Back to the blending in of the canopy. After yet more sanding - bit of MrS - more sanding etc  :mental:  I finally got this bended in!

044-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsb64cf5a2.jpg

After what seems like ages of looking at just white plastic and my efforts to fill and sand back everything I fancied a change of colour - Wing Tip Tanks. Yeahhhhh :thumbsup: now I get to spray paint some white paint on to white plastic!!!! Primed with white car primer, then some pre shading and a couple of coats of White - White Ensign, Doh so sad to see them not trading anymore and I missed the boat to get some of their excellent paint. :crying:

OHHHHHHH Boy after much experimenting and redrawing the checker shapes in Illustrator - Then more sticking little bits of paper to try and mask these PIA's off……. anyway you get the picture it was a little bit troublesome! :fight:

These are a masking nightmare, firstly I did the red areas left for a good couple of days to harden then started the battle to mask of the black checkers.

After much bad language…… at an inanimate object ………. but always satisfying anyway! I worked out that if I used a thin strip of tape for the top centre line. Then I stuck the black checker paper guides on one at a time, used the edges of theses to tape against……. hope that makes senses - I got this!

045-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsff0bb346.jpg

You can see the red paint gut a bit scuffed - so I will be getting back to that.

So sprayed my black and dark grey mix. Removed the tape - uhhhhmmmmm more damage to the red and some paint bleed.

046-SeaVenomFAW22_zps5e83fae4.jpg

So after a days drying re-masked the black and sprayed some more red. Not ideal as the red took a bit to cover the black edges.

Not brilliant but okay to the eyeball and if you don't look to closely!

047-SeaVenomFAW22_zpse63aae65.jpg

I will let this all settle before I attempt to mask off for the Grey!

Okay colour bits over for now. Its back to the big albino bat. :doh:  Its time to put the tail feathers on her. Firstly need to address the rubber bumper issue. The kit once are the RAF shape not the Navy. With some drawings from the net scaled to 1/32 and reference pics I draw a template out in Illustrator. Cut them out and stuck them to some thick plastic sheet. Then it was a case of cutting and rubbing them to shape.

Stuck in place on the boom. Also note the glue mark on the rudder - don't you love close up photog! Well at least I found it know so I can do something about it? Can't believe I missed that - put down to being snow blind looking at all this white!

049-SeaVenomFAW22_zps05a8946a.jpg

With these bits done plus added the actuators on the rudder tabs, which are missing off of the kit. Its time to put the booms and tail plane on.

048-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsa709830f.jpg

At last she starts to look like a hairy-plane. Other bits added is the top intake - this got the front cut off and sone thin aluminium strip wrapped around it and then blended in with MrS 500. Not a full hollow look but I am hoping that if I put some black in it, it should give the impression of hollow - fingers crossed! The canopy got a final light coat of black and grey mix to check everything is smooth.

Last one for this update -

Here she is in what I propose for her final look. Most probably a steeper pose, as then I won't need so much counter weight.
:help:  Question too you fine people here who know far more about avionics than me! I want to check that I have the wing ailerons correct to roll the aircraft this way. As you look at her Right up, Left down? Thanks for any help in this!

050-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsf65d824c.jpg

Okay more detail to be added on the nose but not far from fist paint…….. COOL can't wait to get away from all the white plastic and sanding! :frantic:

Till next time enjoy and Happy Crimbo to all - Taff :D

Looks FABULOUS Taff!!!   I really like all of the wheels up in-flight displays as of late. I really want to do an F7F Reno display like this.  Great work so far buddy!

As to the roll, it looks like you have it right correct for a port role. I always think of aileron position like elevators, when it comes to making one side or the other of the wings go up or down for a specific role.

Guest Peterpools

Taff

Terrific progress and all the hard work and "language" is sure paying off.

Ailerons are incorrect. The right wing aileron should be deflected down and the left slightly up.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Well, from technical point of view, both position are correct depending on the aircraft Rolling clockwise or anti clockwise ... this position could either be the start of a left roll or the end of a right roll...

But considering the Arrow at the front of the model, it would look more "logical to people mind" to have the aileron positionned the other way: down on the right wing so that the wing goes up and up on the left wing so that the wing goes down....

Am I getting borring yet ?  :P  ;) 

Hi folk's

:hmmm:  uhmmmm can see why I thought to check this before I committed to glue. Sure I would get that bloke “That's wrong, that is!†when I put it on the club table at shows. So thanks for the info.

Okay see if I can explain it better – I'm with Brian I always try to think of Lifts (Elevators) up and down but I still manage to get confused. Nowt new there I here some cry! :rofl:

Right “Timmy the twin†pilot facing forward I am trying to show a slow port role – so port wing going down, starboard wing going up. So Think I have got these ailerons the wrong way around. Easier with a pic – looks like an X-wing that's ate all the pie's!

051-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsceac6a30.jpg

So is it from pilots view port ailerons would be up and the starboard ailerons down? which is the opposite to how I have at the moment - so confusing this avionics thing! 

Cheers for all the help

Happy Days - Taff :D

To roll to Port - stick left - Port aileron up, Starboard down...

And keep that slip ball centered with your feet!  :)

Iain

Cheers Iain - There was me thinking that I could put away my shoes with L and R on them - So now I need to add gloves with R2P on one R2S on the other. :piliot:

Looks like you're building an X-Wing fighter now....

Nice work on this old plastic...

Matt

Hi folk's

:hmmm:  uhmmmm can see why I thought to check this before I committed to glue. Sure I would get that bloke “That's wrong, that is!†when I put it on the club table at shows. So thanks for the info.

Okay see if I can explain it better – I'm with Brian I always try to think of Lifts (Elevators) up and down but I still manage to get confused. Nowt new there I here some cry! :rofl:

Right “Timmy the twin†pilot facing forward I am trying to show a slow port role – so port wing going down, starboard wing going up. So Think I have got these ailerons the wrong way around. Easier with a pic – looks like an X-wing that's ate all the pie's!

051-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsceac6a30.jpg

So is it from pilots view port ailerons would be up and the starboard ailerons down? which is the opposite to how I have at the moment - so confusing this avionics thing! 

Cheers for all the help

I am with Iain here, if you can, a little bit of rudder to the right and even a bit of elevators up could be fine for such turn ;)

Cheers for the info Loic - I was so nearly there got the little up with the elevator but I put a bit of left rudder in :hmmm: Doh well its stuck now so its staying!!!! Can't wait for the oh i'm so clever bloke to point out and tell me "Thats wrong mate!" Well least I now have time to get a witty repost sorted :fight:

Looks like you're building an X-Wing fighter now....

Nice work on this old plastic...

Matt

Yeah Matt - The fattest X-Wing ever :rofl: - Not sure even Yoda could lift this one out of the swamp without a crane?

Taff :D