Trumpy's P-51B times two - Dominic Gentile and Ralph Hofer

Thomas Lund

Since my Zero is in final painting I need something to build, and my choice was the Trumpeter NA P-51B - a plane I just simply love - more than the D model actually, I've read on another board (guess which one) that this kit is 'unbuildable' but really it seems nice and I've encountered few problems so far. I am adding an Aires cockpit and wheelwell though

So the most important question for me - much more than total accuracy of the model itself - what paint job ? I really enjoy building interesting planes flown by interesting pilots. Doesn't bother me if that plane is somewhat 'overbuilt', So first choice was 'Ding Hao' of James Howard - former AVG pilot, only ETO MOH winner and eventually a general. That would fit the profile. I bought the decals for it (although I got the kit with Ding Hao decals in them) but on that sheet was also Dominic Gentiles lovely bird. Former Eagle Squadron pilot and winner of the ace race, that certainly fit the profile too. It's also a lot more colourfull, so as time passed it became the plane of choice (so far ;-) )

DGentile.jpg

It does look good, doesn't it. Still time to change my mind though :-)

Note the RAF style red doped tape gun port protection...

So first order of business is to do the cockpit. Aires pit fits like a glove, I dont know why eveyone complain about Aires, they always fit very nicely for me (could be famous last words I know). I added Eduard P-51D cockpit placards (as I couldnt get hold of the decal ones) as close to the pictures I could find. Cockpit floor painted wood, hairsprayed, painted black and chipped - a first for me and it worked fine. Does you wife look at you in a very strange way when you buy hairspray and nail files ?

002-Copy_zps7d51652a.jpg

001-Copy_zpsc272af83.jpg

017-Copy_zps2dd2f7d6.jpg

Was just about to close up the fuselage when I saw that I'd forgotten to paint the tail wheel. That's up next

Edited by Thomas Lund

Your gonna build THAT kit ? Its , full of shape errors and doesn't look good with all the gaps and bad fit. Just ask the "experts". Not really(LOL) but there are those that thinks its bad. You are doing a great job, Sir. Looking forward to more.....Harv :whistle:

Guest Peterpools

Thomas

Terrific choice and surely is going to be a wonderful build to follow and enjoy. The markings for your B is a classic and a perfect choice as well.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Really Id say build what you like I think its just some are bothered by things like the lack of laminar flow wing and what not. I dont think it would take anything away from the build. Its a beautiful bird and there have been several really nice Trumpy B builds on LSP IIRC

Nice one Thomas! I have this kit in the stash too. I think the most obvious problem to someone like me who has no eye for shapes in the window panels behind the cockpit. I've read that they're the wrong shape and size, and they look it too.

Model on Thomas!

Kev

I'll be watchin' this one too! I also like the lines of the "B" better than the "D", wish Tamiya had chosen that version to do instead. Regardless, I will enjoy seeing you work on this one. And, my vote is for "Ding Hao!"- always wanted to build that one myself.

Nice one Thomas! I have this kit in the stash too. I think the most obvious problem to someone like me who has no eye for shapes in the window panels behind the cockpit. I've read that they're the wrong shape and size, and they look it too.

Model on Thomas!

Kev

X2....

I am looking forward to the day I get to dig this one out of my stash. The plan for mine is Gentile's stable mate, Kidd Hofer's OD over NMF mount. I hope to fix the window panels and somehow scab a Revell Malcom hood on mine.....Happy Building with yours!!! (Another ambitious project is some sort of dismantled "Visible Mustang" using the clear parts that accompanied my kit)

salemrep.jpg

Thanks guys

Brian - I am very carefull to have fun building. Some years ago I got NOTHING done so I stepped back and noticed what was wrong. Too much AMS = too little fun. So relaxing a bit with the accuracy made it all a whole lot more fun.

Kev - I too dont have an eye for shape issues, I usually say I am blessed not to have it. However if pointed out I can sometimes see it. I'll have to look into the rear window thing now... :-)

Wrench: Funny enough, I plan to do a partial NMF bird one day and Hofer's is on the top of the list (do you guys do lists as well?)

It's got to be better than the ancient Revell kit, I have two of those in my display cabinets, one of them will be replaced by this kit, warts and all ! Though I also have the Aires cockpit.

Cheers

Dennis

Since my Zero is in final painting I need something to build, and my choice was the Trumpeter NA P-51B - a plane I just simply love - more than the D model actually, I've read on another board (guess which one) that this kit is 'unbuildable' but really it seems nice and I've encountered few problems so far. I am adding an Aires cockpit and wheelwell though

So the most important question for me - much more than total accuracy of the model itself - what paint job ? I really enjoy building interesting planes flown by interesting pilots. Doesn't bother me if that plane is somewhat 'overbuilt', So first choice was 'Ding Hao' of James Howard - former AVG pilot, only ETO MOH winner and eventually a general. That would fit the profile. I bought the decals for it (although I got the kit with Ding Hao decals in them) but on that sheet was also Dominic Gentiles lovely bird. Former Eagle Squadron pilot and winner of the ace race, that certainly fit the profile too. It's also a lot more colourfull, so as time passed it became the plane of choice (so far ;-) )

DGentile.jpg

It does look good, doesn't it. Still time to change my mind though :-)

Note the RAF style red doped tape gun port protection...

So first order of business is to do the cockpit. Aires pit fits like a glove, I dont know why eveyone complain about Aires, they always fit very nicely for me (could be famous last words I know). I added Eduard P-51D cockpit placards (as I couldnt get hold of the decal ones) as close to the pictures I could find. Cockpit floor painted wood, hairsprayed, painted black and chipped - a first for me and it worked fine. Does you wife look at you in a very strange way when you buy hairspray and nail files ?

002-Copy_zps7d51652a.jpg

001-Copy_zpsc272af83.jpg

017-Copy_zps2dd2f7d6.jpg

Was just about to close up the fuselage when I saw that I'd forgotten to paint the tail wheel. That's up next

Nicely done so far. While you're painting the tail wheel, paint the fuselage fuel tank black. Right now you've got it interior green.

Oh, I also thought Gentile's first name was Don. I've never seen Dominic before today. Interesting.... I need to break out my books and have a look at what I've been missing all these years.

Edited by TimC

Oh, I also thought Gentile's first name was Don. I've never seen Dominic before today. Interesting.... I need to break out my books and have a look at what I've been missing all these years.

Dominic Salvatore Gentile actually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Salvatore_Gentile but very often referred as Don

I'll se about the tank, it already glued in, so the back side could be difficult to paint...

Edited by Thomas Lund

Thanks guys......

......(do you guys do lists as well?)

HAHAHAHAHAHA......do we do lists???

In the stash....

4 1/24 P-51

2 1/24 Spits

1 1/24 Hurricane

10 more 1/32 Mustangs

.....all listed and 95% sure what they will be built as :rolleyes:

Good catch on the fuselage tank, hope you can get it painted up black. And I too am very impressed with your work on the office and IP!!