Me109's at last

bcauchi

Wow guys thanks for not relegating me to the loony bin. It may seem daft to do this with all the new and relatively inexpensive kits around but I have yet to shy away from a challenge. I did the revell 262 which had very similar problems if you take a peek at my old article, my first on LSP actually and I had managed then. Also, seeing that I have a complete resin nose and cockpit, it seems to be a shame to cut up a perfectly good odel when I really need to get rid of the front part of this one anyway. yesterday I glued the rear fuselage together, from the cockpit to the tail. Left the front unglued so that I can play about with the fit of the resin pit. This shall take some modification to fit since it is made for the Hasegawa kit. Also faired in the joint with milliput and also put in a ton of milliput to correct some shape issues. Shall try to sand it down today and post a pic.

This is it guys, the point of no return, off comes the front of the kit. The rear is complete except for scribing and other surface detail. However, it has been sanded to the correct shape (as far as I can tell, as close to the new revell as I can get) I still need to check out the tail and correct as necessary. The stuff on the fuselage is Milliput and Tamiya filler. The milliput is terracotta colour since I ran out of the grey. Works the same.

post-915-1155879784.jpg

Last pic for today, since most of my modelling time yesterday was taken up by sanding and filling so I just manages to fit in the bulkhead. I am not a resin lover and mostly scratchbuild my details but this set is really nice and so far fits together very well. Hope to show you some more progress after the weekend

post-915-1155880135.jpg

Brian, depending on where you go with this - you're not out of the woods on the loony -bin part.....

I have beamans plans and I must say I like your approach much more than his, which I tried once.

This really keeps me going just because I grew up with these kits,and must have built 10 of the 109s.

looking great, have you come close to a theater or paint scheme? Somewhat more choices huh?

Hi Mike, to be fair to Beaman, he did not have the new releases by Hasegawa and Revell when he wrote the book in the 70's so you must give him his due. I have more to work with but I think I will get there. We shall see in due course. I shall probably paint the bird in the markings of Hans Ekkerhard Bob since I have contacted him personally.

• 2 weeks later...

Not finding much time for modelling. Too damn busy at home. However I do have some more progress to show you. Here is the modified tail section of the old revell and the new rudder it which has been kindly donated by the new revell G4........

post-915-1156829800.jpg