:popcorn: :popcorn:

I’m with Peter – Can’t beet some Griffon bumps on a Spity

Keep um coming :popcorn:

Happy Days - Taff :D

Moksha,

Just checking in to see how goes it.

Happy EASTER too.

Gents,

many thanks for looking in! I was working over easter so once more slack in my updates :) but did get some progress made , and of course some traditional murphyisms

Pics to follow...

So!

Primed her up-sanded-primed again. Not too onerous

Alclad'ed all over so as to be able to scuff/chip top paint layers

IMG_3307ss.jpg

Then Medium Sea Grey underneath the plane, masking...Ocean Grey Topside..fairly light coats. I used Lifecolour paints thinned ~60% thinner to paint, dries fast but delicate over Alclad. Note the delicate masking :)

IMG_3352ss.jpg

Then blutak and tape..and RAF Dark green..which to my eye was not dark (as sprayed so thinly)-so some Black Green oversprayed.

IMG_3368ss.jpg

All progressed fairly quickly...

I suffer from canopy anxiety-that's the fear that any canopy revealed from masking will be

A shattered or cracked or

B opaqued by gunk or

C on back to front

So I was relieved on unmasking this one to see that yes, it was all gunked up...on the inside! D'oh. No idea what the stuff was. Looked like paint, stuck like paint -but was yellow --ah well .

I had to chip the canopy off the frame, sand down (nothing else worked, even WD40) and re paint/glue..sort of ok in the end -but the canopy parts have some oversanding / odd shapes now :)

I need to straighten a few lines/retouch but mighty relieved a sort of fix worked

IMG_3371ss.jpg

I don't usually use decals but my Montex stuff was late (my fault, forgot all about it) and this is OOB (sort of) so I gave it a whirl. Of course all went well..

Except on big roundel that creased -)

Thought hard about stripping decals and masking..but nope I'll sand it! :)

So a few layers need to go on of model master clear, then I'll sand over, round the decals-just to see if it works, and to see if the raised edges/carrier film can be hidden. (They are not too bad as is but it's good to sand right? ;))

IMG_3387ss.jpg

So now this is how she looks - temporary red gun patchs will be replaced by spare foil or aluminium, they are quite thick at the moment :)

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

Cheers!

Working on the prop tonight-no jig yet so will have to ad lib :) Might go with 3 blades and see if anyone notices..

Time to bodge the prop!

5 blades conjures up a pentagram based template.

I thought that if I could get the angle of the prop blade to prop hub correct, then the actual pitch of the blades I would eyeball and hold in position with some tack..

Back to maths class; Drew a circle with a tape and drill compass set ;-) and then divided into 5 equal triangles using some trig revised from the 'net (I have no protractor to my shame...) to get the blade guides..

IMG_3403ss.jpg

Then I tacked the hub dead centre, tacked the blades into position, glued..fiddled and left to set.

I used minimal glue so that when/if I get a proper jig I can snap off and re-fit.

IMG_3388ss.jpg

While the glue dried I letraset'd the serial codes onto the fuse sides-the letraset stuff rubs on smoothly, a lot less hassle for me than wet decals but I'm not sure how tough they are. I will therefore coat them asap.

IMG_3395ss.jpg

Then I test fitted the prop-looks about right to me

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3399ss.jpg

so on to wheels..details..weathering

Thanks for looking in!

Edited by moksha

Time to bodge the prop!

5 blades conjures up a pentagram based template.

I thought that if I could get the angle of the prop blade to prop hub correct, then the actual pitch of the blades I would eyeball and hold in position with some tack..

Back to maths class; Drew a circle with a tape and drill compass set ;-) and then divided into 5 equal triangles using some trig revised from the 'net (I have no protractor to my shame...) to get the blade guides..

IMG_3403ss.jpg

Then I tacked the hub dead centre, tacked the blades into position, glued..fiddled and left to set.

I used minimal glue so that when/if I get a proper jig I can snap off and re-fit.

IMG_3388ss.jpg

Prop looks awesome! For future reference/projects, I built a Mk XIV out of Kens Mk IV + Radus conversion and used THIS on it.

Since I purchased it, it literally has paid for itself over and over in time savings and headache savings. I seem to build a lot of kits that dont come with pre-assembled props these days.

Can pick one up HERE, although Im not sure where they are available in UK off hand. SUPER well built quality product. Very handy indeed.

(If Ive already posted this in here please forgive me and disregard)

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Super work on the cammo and decaling. Just finally finished the same on my Tamiya Spit and the decals just didn't like all the lumps and bumps

Keep 'em coming

Looking very nice mate! Nearly there.

Kev

Cheers Kev-yup some definite signs of progress :)

Next decision's weather to gloss her up or matt her down-either way I am happy, paint/weathering's my favourite section of a build

Super work on the cammo and decaling. Just finally finished the same on my Tamiya Spit and the decals just didn't like all the lumps and bumps

Keep 'em coming

Pete you're a star-thanks for the kind words-I just looked in on your build, if I can get the camo/finish as pleasing to the eye as yours I'll be happy indeed!

Prop looks awesome! For future reference/projects, I built a Mk XIV out of Kens Mk IV + Radus conversion and used THIS on it.

Since I purchased it, it literally has paid for itself over and over in time savings and headache savings. I seem to build a lot of kits that dont come with pre-assembled props these days.

Can pick one up HERE, although Im not sure where they are available in UK off hand. SUPER well built quality product. Very handy indeed.

(If Ive already posted this in here please forgive me and disregard)

Hey Brian, nought to forgive! I will order one of those - slipped my mind until I came to do the prop-where's that thingy I thought I had ordered...agh :)

Planning is the key!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

apologies for the sporadic updates, I work veeery slowwwly I'm afraid.

I'm at the weathering stage-decided to try using only oils for a change.

Started with a glossyish coat of model master then polka dots of random oil colours to break up the large monotone areas.

IMG_3420ss.jpg

Then did some final chipping/sanding to expose the Alclad, before moving on to gunking up the underside, a few dirt patches and stains + exhaust stains.

The photos don't quite capture the depth/blending but do hide a ton of smudges..swings and roundabouts :)

IMG_3491ss.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

Off she goes put away for another day

IMG_3488.jpg

Not sure whether to flat coat the thing or not-probably won't.

I have a few more bits of weathering and blending in to do before attaching final stuff like tail wheel doors, and main wheels :L)

Should be don eby 2014 !

Cheers for looking in!