Nakajima B5N2 Kate: FINISHED

Allok

Well...

So far, this model has been great fun and could easily be copied into plastic. And once you'd finished, it would be totally unique. (Untill Larry or Dave build one... or me)

Even though I'm working on a copy and can't read the instructions, assembly is intuitive and the fit is good.

I have completed the tail and one of the main wings but I will leave the other wing off untill the weekend so I can take some pictures for you guys.

Feels odd building a model in this way... make a whole part, then glue it on. But once it's glued together, it's completed. Like I said, Good clean fun!

(I sill got glue on myself!)

Hey cool, you've got your own mug!

I'm just using good old PVA, which is a water based wood/craft glue.

post-1256-1176878033.jpg

In reality, you could put together with gum! The trick is to only put a tiny smear of glue on and the bond is nearly instant.

Here is a close-up of the completed tail section;

Pictures157.jpg

I have been using coloured pencils along the edges of the paper in an attempt to hide them. The results are mixed but it will do. the whole thing will get a clear coat later anyway.

Here is the bits under the nose;

Pictures158.jpg

This photo also shows the plastic wheels I will be using (from an old flying model which I never made) and also the canopy framing.

One of the "short cuts" this model gives you, is to omit the interior and then not cut out the window frames. The windows then become just blue-grey rendering.

After all the time I spent on interior, I will be putting very thin sheets of acetate inside the framing after the clear coat has gone on.

The composite curves at the wing root are tackled in this pic showing the parts and the sub assemblies.

Pictures155.jpg

Once it's all glued together, it looks like this;

Pictures156.jpg

I'm loving this model more and more.

Here's the paper torpedo, complete with contra-rotating screws! Awesome.

Pictures159.jpg

This might be just weird, but this is the only model I've made in a very long time with any armament.

And it's going in the Kids room!

Looking great !

Q:can you make a clear canopy for those models using very thin plasticcard ?

A real insperation for to to have a go at the Me 108 you send me.

Please PM to let me know you have finished it. It deserves a place in the gallery for sure !

Cheers Brad... I guess all those hours shagging about in craft when I was a kid must be paying off B)

Are you going to try another?

Well... that's a definite maybe.

I have another one but I feel much more comfortable chopping up tiny bits of plastic. It will make an excellent scratch-build project though (some day)

The inspiration for this came from an He-111 that I saw, it's got a vac canopy and everything! Perhaps I could have a go at a C-130???!

That would really be awesome.

This should be completed by the weekend- then on to the next one. Still waiting for you to enter something, I'm sure a theme that catches your fancy will start up soon. You're probably sick of making Warhawks by now.