Lukgraph Vought SBU-1 Corsair

Jan_G

Jan,

The transitional period is a hard era to model.  A general rule of thumb, but one that is NOT foolproof is to use the outer finish to guide what the interior finish was.  By the end of 1936, the Bureau of Aeronautics, which controlled all navy aircraft, finally accepted an aluminum lacquer over a zinc chromate primer for metal surfaces that withstood its testing criteria.  Prior to that, they had been using a gray enamel because earlier use of aluminum colored varnish had not withstood exposure. So, in 1937, new delivery aircraft and those undergoing overhaul were painted aluminum lacquer.

Of course, it never fails, our subject aircraft was accepted in 1936 so it would have been painted originally in gray enamel but repainted when overhauled.  The decals depict the aircraft near the end of its career and with the neutrality star applied, so it would have gone through overhaul at least once if not twice by that time.  I personally have always wondered if they would have taken the time to completely disassemble and mask an aircraft interior to repaint it, but overhauls would sometimes last several months according to aircraft history cards, so they were out of service long enough for that to occur.  So I think it is very likely that the interiors were also repainted during these overhauls.

While some of the above can be found on the internet, most is from discussions with Dana Bell, my own research at the National Archives, and a little from Elliott's Monogram Color series.

Now, the SBU-2 is easy.  The Erection & Maintenance manual issued in January 1937 directs that the metal parts would be primed in zinc chromate and then have two coats of aluminum lacquer.

As for the fabric parts, they would have had two coats of clear dope applied followed by two coats aluminum colored dope.  The clear dope would have sealed the fabric which is why it remained white on the inside even when the exterior was painted.          

So, as for me, I am going to be building a late in life SBU so it will be aluminum and white interior.  If by some off chance a document and color photograph surfaces AFTER I finish that shows something different, I will just have to live with it!!

I hope this helps and isn't too confusing.  If you have additional questions, please let me know.

BW

small progress with SBU

I painted over interior (thanks Brandon for recommendation!) with mixture of Alclad aluminium and Mr.Paint light gray as aluminium lacquer (lightened with white aluminium in some areas) and white for fabric

IMG_1523_zpsclaropyl.jpg

IMG_1520_zpsl5okzped.jpg

and I applied dark wash and some pigments (in reality it`s not so prominent as on photos)

IMG_1531_zpsnrz1cy4j.jpg

IMG_1532_zpsrhjundgt.jpg

and cockpit finished with some subtle wash and matt coat

IMG_1536_zpsnc8vuybm.jpg

IMG_1541_zpstedgkogv.jpg

IMG_1548_zpskmvkrdse.jpg

and glued with one part of fuselage (fit is great so far)

IMG_1551_zpstlnpuuan.jpg

IMG_1558_zpshbctejer.jpg

IMG_1565_zpsyr0jcndv.jpg

thanks for looking

jan

Jan,

Good job on the interior, it looks very convincing.  I am going to perform some modifications on mine to try and replicate what I see in photos and diagrams, but not sure how much of it will be seen or how many people would even notice the differences. 

Rather jealous of the progress you have made and speed at which you are able to work!  Looking forward to more.

BW

Thanks guys for kind words

I have managed to glue together all main parts and now it is ready for the first layer of surfacer. Then I will correct all surface flaws  :)

This step was quite simple. I gave attention especially to maintain the geometry of all parts

IMG_1567_zpsvv5rjpaw.jpg

IMG_1569_zpsop8l3eps.jpg

IMG_1570_zpspfselreh.jpg

IMG_1571_zpst9uzgkx3.jpg

thanks for looking
jan

small progress on SBU

details added

IMG_1579_zps25okvppd.jpg

IMG_1577_zpsvzplvsxi.jpg

IMG_1576_zps2pkslbxd.jpg

First I used Mr. surfacer 1000 to unift surface, after I have used several layers of Mr base white

IMG_1575_zpsads3bx4j.jpg

and all the stripes masked and ready for painting

IMG_1580_zpsjbf7zgdn.jpg

IMG_1582_zpsq49xnhbt.jpg

for fabric surfaces I have used mixture of alclad white aluminium and MRP white (ratio 1:1) - to create aluminium lacquer effect, but even it has still metallic shine It`s too gray for my taste, so will see, maybe I will just play with it more

IMG_1583_zpsjhtelcq3.jpg

IMG_1586_zps5konspqa.jpg

IMG_1587_zps1hqoerw0.jpg

and the upper wing painted from both sides

IMG_1590_zpst0rjwn1e.jpg

IMG_1589_zpsl2jwczu9.jpg

thanks for looking

jan

the upper wing painted

Wonderful progress and a joy to follow

Keep 'em coming

Thanks Peter, really apreciate

Lovely work, Jan! I'm just working on my review of this kit, and am quite impressed so far. You're certainly doing it justice!

Thanks Kevin, it is very nice kit, and even it`s resin, it goes together easily, so I`m enjoying this buils a lot

jan

Hi Jan

Looks great!!

For silver doped aircraft you csn't go past Tamiya AS 12 straight from the spray can.

Cheers

Brent

thanks Brent for the tip, however I`m not so comfortable with spray cans  :)

jan

painting of main parts finished

for metallic surfaces I have used mixture of Alclad Duralaluminium and MRP White (ratlio 2:1) to get this darker look

for willow green I tried several mixtures of GSI basic green and yellow FS13538 (329) and I went with ratio geen / yellow (5-7/1) at the end 

I have sprayed stripes with insignia red 

I`m quite happy with the paint job, and now I have to polish the surface, spray the first gloss coat, and apply decals

Great colourful plane and great kit  :)

IMG_1592_zpsjqs3al9l.jpg

IMG_1596_zpsva5w9xgr.jpg

IMG_1593_zpsylp5kd38.jpg

IMG_1595_zpsahdsfgrz.jpg

IMG_1597_zpsli4glxfw.jpg

IMG_1598_zpsxdspovtt.jpg

thanks for looking

jan