A29 Super Tucano US Marines LAS

Rick K

So what's 4 years, right?

One the bench with the A29.  Starting off with the cockpit the Martin Baker Mk.8 seats get some PE love.MartinBaker_Mk8.02.jpg

Each seat has 4 PE parts.

MartinBaker_Mk8.01.jpg

Parachute packs test fitted to top back of seats.  Rear seat IP dashboard coam gets some annealed PE attention.

Edited by Rick K

This is an enjoyable build. Kit goes together well. I built 2 at the same time.  One was the Super Tuc "Anniversary" bird and the other was in USAF Coin-configuration.  I think it is a great plane for its purpose. Very cost effective too. Enjoy your build.

• 6 months later...

The Eduard PE gunsight looks awesome and the angst begins when it sits too high obstructing the fit of the windscreen.  I tried the kit supplied PE gunsight...same results.

So, time for some scratch building.

First had to reduce the top of dash coam so the gunsight will sit low enough.  Then with plastic card A mount is secured.

(edited)_IMG_3096.JPG

Plastic card as viewed from inside dash coam.

(edited)_IMG_3098.JPG

Test fit, looks good.

(edited)_IMG_3107.JPG

Reducing top of dash coam I lost the access panel detail.  Eduard PE look like the best solution.  Meh, I just did not feel comfortable using PE for this tight spot.  So i opted for Archer resin decals.  I was pleased with the results and the security.

IMG_3117.JPG

Test fit cockpit details.  Lots of Eduard detail.

IMG_3118.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

The huge canopy looks tinted.

(edited)_IMG_3776.JPG

The seam was removed on the canopy frame. Tamiya clears X19 Smoke with a touch of X26 Orange highly thinned with MLT.  A few passes then after full cure a dip in Future.

Some reference pics did show a faint seam on the canopy glazing.  After getting my hands on a close up image of the canopy the seam is actually a wire with no seam on the windscreen. :BANGHEAD2:    I will correct this.

IMG_3789.JPG

Fuselage and fuel tanks buttoned up.  Eduard PE and bake lines added to wheel wells. 

IMG_3781_(1).JPG

Always love a good weld.

IMG_3661.JPG

Stabilizer surface controls sanded to correct shape. 

(edited)_IMG_3781.JPG

Wings and stabilizers secured.

IMG_3890.JPG

AVM resin "Belly Box", fuel tanks and wing racks "pylons" cleaned up.

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG

Test fit yields some putty, sand, repeat in my future.  Stabilizers secured.

IMG_3886.JPG

IMG_3887.JPG

Edited by Rick K

Belly box is epoxied and after a few days cure 3M Acryl Glazing thinned with MLT is used to fill the gaps.

IMG_3928.JPG

IMG_3929.JPG

Sanding for what seems to be an eternity.

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4264.JPG

Primer is applied to discover any surface imperfections.

IMG_4272.JPG

After sanding all seams and filling access panels on belly box (speed brake is left alone) a final shot of primer is applied.  Archer resin decals will be used throughout to replace all access panels throughout the aircraft.

IMG_5293.JPG

Overall primer complete. 

IMG_5292.JPG

Edited by Rick K

On 10/31/2020 at 10:55 AM, Jager said:

This is an enjoyable build. Kit goes together well. I built 2 at the same time.  One was the Super Tuc "Anniversary" bird and the other was in USAF Coin-configuration.  I think it is a great plane for its purpose. Very cost effective too. Enjoy your build.

Thanks Jager.

On 5/19/2021 at 11:57 AM, Collin said:

Rick:

Interesting combo of 3M Acryl Glazing thinned with MLT....does that shrink much?  How long do you wait to have it gas-off before sanding?  Does it take a scribe well?

Cheers

Collin

No shrinkage on me.  Been using this method for a few years now.  I mix the MLT with the glazing to a "creamy " texture it really levels quite nice.  Adheres well to styrene and resin.  Sands well too.  Small gaps and seams I'll give a 48 hour cure time.  Scribes ok for me.  Scribing is my weakest skill-set with need for lots of coaching.  So I'm the last person to be offering advice on scribing. 

For really deep gaps, seams and scribing I'll switch to "Sprue Goo".  SG welds to styrene and scribes very nice.