1/32 P-51D - First in a While

kvlazer22

First, I would like to say that Large Scale Planes has some of the nicest, most helpful people in the forum world and I am not just referring to just the modeling realm.  Compared to some of the other modeling forums and even other hobbies I partake in, this forum has great user feedback with little of what I like to call JTP's or, Joe the Pro's.  With that said, this will be my first topic started on any model forum so be easy on me!

I haven't modeled since I was a young kid putting together Revell kits with Testors cement and finishing them in a couple hours. Even though I haven't touched a kit since middle school, I have continued to follow model forums and build sites.  Now, at the age of 33 and with the recent purchase of a house, I have the room to get back into it and try out all of the methods I have learned from forums like this.  I decided to dive back in with one of the great 1/32 kits from Tamiya, their P-51D.  I have also added some aftermarket kits, I am sure I will add more down the road but this is what I have so far….

Web Garden Seatbelts - #132071

BarracudaCast Cockpit Sidewalls - BR32012

BarracudaCast Instrument Panel - BR32013

BarracudaCast Cockpit Upgrade - BR32014

BarracudaCast Diamond Tread Tires - BR32029

Eduard Exterior - #32302

Eduard Engine - #32307

Eduard Interior- Early - #32712

I also plan on getting the “Mustang Cockpit Stencils and Placards†from Barracuda but they haven't been in stock for months.  Roy Sutherland, if you are out there, any chance these will be available soon?  I haven't made a 100% commitment to the final paint scheme I want to depict but I am leaning towards Fundekals and their “Daddy's Girlâ€.

Tamiya%20P-51D.jpg

A lot of my methods and references will come from Chuck Sawyer's (chuck540z3) P-51 “Thunder Bird†featured on the January 2014 cover of “Fine Scale Modelersâ€.  This man can do some work!  He also is very descriptive in his techniques which have been very helpful, he always responds in detail.  Also, even though I could never come close to touching the skill of dodgem37, I really love what he is doing in his “Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956†build and will use that as a valuable reference.

First off is the Merlin, after removing some seam lines and filling some gaps the engine went together beautifully.  I plan to add a lot of extra plumbing all over the engine compartment and I started with some oil lines made out of copper wire that come out of the oil relief valve.  I added a wire holder out of aluminum off a soda can.

Merlin%20Oil%20Lines%20from%20Oil%20Valv

After finishing the plumbing that wouldn't get in the way of paint I sprayed the entire engine with decanted Tamiya TS14 black.  For the magneto's, starter, and the coolant rails I painted them Alclad Aluminum.  I painted every bolt and nut with Floquil Old Silver with the tip of a #11 X-acto blade.

Painted%20Merlin.jpg

The ignition rails are made out of .030" styrene rod with copper wires as the ignition wires.  It was my first time bending a styrene rod and after many failed attempts using such methods as warm water, the stove, and a hair dryer I tried my wife's clothes steamer with beautiful results.

Top%20Ignition%20Rail.jpg

That's all for now.  It is slow going since I am learning all these methods for the first time but I am having a lot fun with it so far!  I look forward to everyone's feedback.

-Eric

Edited by kvlazer22

Very much looking forward to your WIP Eric ! Welcome to our home. As you have already said about LSP's helping hands and the great people involved here, we are the best. Enough jabbing, continue on..........Harv  :post1:

Welcome to the forums, Eric! It looks like you're off to a great start.

A word of caution about those cockpit placards from Barracuda - when Roy says "tiny", he means it! I nearly went blind applying them.

Going by the finish on your Merlin, it's hard to tell it's your first for many years.

I don't have their P-51D, but I know from their Spitfire kits, that Tamiya's current generation of prop fighters provide a first rate canvas to practice your skills on.

First off... :post1:  (if I have been here long enough to welcome anyone....)

You have made a great start on your Mustang! The way you have done the bolt heads is interesting, I was not going to try and do them on mine because I was concerned of the engine looking overly busy but you have me rethinking my position.

Daddy's Girl has caught my attention too, I like the combination of the green and the blue, and have ordered a set of the Fundecals to add to my Tamiya Mustang that I will build (someday) to sit along side my IMCTH skeleton Mustang.

I thought it worth mentioning the Volks gun barrel set http://www.hlj.com/product/VOL52537/Air I am really pleased with how they look and the added benefit of having the gear door struts included is great.

Also of note is the Airscale instruments, worth looking into.

Looking forward to watching this come together.

Cheers,

Guest Clunkmeister

And do you have a seeing eye dog now?

No, but I squint a little at times.

It helps that I have a highly developed sense of smell, which is why I can't stay around Paul or Harv for long periods of time.

Wow, look at all these comments, I love it!  Thanks for all the support!

Welcome to the forums, Eric! It looks like you're off to a great start.

A word of caution about those cockpit placards from Barracuda - when Roy says "tiny", he means it! I nearly went blind applying them.

I have heard warnings of how tiny they are.  When they come back in stock I will probably buy them all up to have backups.

First off... :post1:  (if I have been here long enough to welcome anyone....)

You have made a great start on your Mustang! The way you have done the bolt heads is interesting, I was not going to try and do them on mine because I was concerned of the engine looking overly busy but you have me rethinking my position.

Daddy's Girl has caught my attention too, I like the combination of the green and the blue, and have ordered a set of the Fundecals to add to my Tamiya Mustang that I will build (someday) to sit along side my IMCTH skeleton Mustang.

I thought it worth mentioning the Volks gun barrel set http://www.hlj.com/product/VOL52537/Air I am really pleased with how they look and the added benefit of having the gear door struts included is great.

Also of note is the Airscale instruments, worth looking into.

Looking forward to watching this come together.

Cheers,

These barrels look awesome, do you have any pictures of the Volks barrels coming out of the gun ports in the wings?  I wasn't really planning on replacing the muzzles. I was going to go with the Aires M2's 50cals and cut the barrels off and just enlarge the muzzles on the Tamiya wing insert.  However, I am curious to see what these look like.  

I already replaced my gear door struts with needles, nothing like metal to imitate metal and there is no paint needed.