Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO. FINISHED

ericg

Hi Eric

A great fix on the tank and a very nice pylon. I see you have removed the fuses on the bombs. What fuses are you going to use, live or practice fuses? Looking at the era of the aircraft, live fuses most likely had external fusing wires.

Regards

Cheetah11

Hi Eric

A great fix on the tank and a very nice pylon. I see you have removed the fuses on the bombs. What fuses are you going to use, live or practice fuses? Looking at the era of the aircraft, live fuses most likely had external fusing wires.

Regards

Cheetah11

Hi Cheetah, I haven't installed the fuses yet, but they will be the short, live versions.

I finally got my hands on a set of High planes models No.2 OCU decals. I sat down for a decaling session, placing my trust in the nicely packaged decals. The decals seemed to be reasonably old and required care to peel off the protective paper which had become stuck to the decals themselves. Despite this, I decided to start with one of the smaller fin flashes, which would give me a good idea of how the decals would perform.

I was immediately disappointed in them, as can be seen in the photo below. The red was way out of register, and there was a dark line around the blue.

6BD87505-6516-41AC-9976-B53419550F15_zps

After all of the work that had gone into the model, there was no way these were going to make an appearance on the finished product. I initially looked at using the fin flashes from the kit but these were straight rather than slanted, so a solution was going to have to be thought of, and fast!

A few minutes later and I had designed and cut a paint mask  (I have said it many times before, If you don't have a Silhouette Portrait mask cutter, you really need one!) .

C951D6C4-3533-4CA9-8C9B-EFDC15E4B09E_zps

With the center stripe painted with Tamiya White fine surface primer, I covered it up and then sprayed the blue, along with spraying the front stripe with Tamiya Pink fine surface primer (this allows less paint to be used to get red)

44032422-0396-4FDE-8E23-607B5F2C3296_zps

I then sprayed the front stripe with Gunze Red Madder to give the final colours. The benefit of using Oramask 810 can be seen by its clear nature and ease of positioning due to being able to see underlying panel lines etc for orientation.

65D1CA36-1F59-4538-915D-7B27AC86446E_zps

Unmasked. Looks much better.

059499EE-EF9B-47A2-9F39-A86750CB6ADD_zps

With the 2 OCU markings applied. These decals were a bit better, although required lots of soaking to remove them from their backing and are a little inaccurate. I used Ventura decals for the serials.

14C1F4AC-FA70-4B25-8A96-1DEF4EC751D5_zps

Much better than the off-register decals, but, although it may be only a parallax-induced false impression, the white band looks larger than the blue and red ones (which is impossible considering the mask picture, btw)

Hubert

Thanks a lot guys.

Much better than the off-register decals, but, although it may be only a parallax-induced false impression, the white band looks larger than the blue and red ones (which is impossible considering the mask picture, btw)

Hubert

Hi Hubert. I had a closer look at the white band. I am putting it down to the fact that it is brighter so it looks wider.

Cheers,

Eric.

Mate, looks super ... once you start with the masks it's hard to go back, there's a level of "truth" that you get with masks that can't be beat. I'm having fits with my hornet tail markings right now but wouldn't have it any other way.

Dunno how you'd do those 2OCU markings with masks but I bet it could be done ...

Jim

Edited by ClumsyDude

Mate, looks super ... once you start with the masks it's hard to go back, there's a level of "truth" that you get with masks that can't be beat. I'm having fits with my hornet tail markings right now but wouldn't have it any other way.

Dunno how you'd do those 2OCU markings with masks but I bet it could be done ...

Jim

I was considering it and I probably should have as I was thinking about cutting out just the Tiger head and masking the rest.

I next ran into the problem of the roundels. The kit has the correct ones for the intakes but the older style roundels for the underwing. The HPM decals featured the dark outline on the blue circles as per the fin flash, so were unsuitable and the underwing roundels were way overscale and also not suitable for the model. I decided to mask and paint them and am quite happy with the result.

Here is a pic of the mask set that I made up for the kit, 4 roundels, fin flash, wheel masks and some circles to cover the roo once painted to prevent overspray when applying the blue portion of the roundels. If you have a Mask cutter and would like this file then please email me and I will send it to you `on the house'

B60686E0-56C3-4134-BE96-8ADC2062FA1D_zps

The painted roundels look really good and I am still pretty chuffed that I can produce these on demand at home.

F2BA12E6-B1E0-4C64-9649-D50EFAC67D68_zps

951262DF-D109-4BD9-AC10-923787793880_zps

ED63A310-35C3-4CA4-A546-56D716A92D52_zps

Getting there!

1E65B9B0-18C0-4DE7-9F63-354B2531EDD1_zps

It was time to paint an RPK-10. I had finished the construction of one tank and couldn't help myself. I needed to see my creation under a coat of paint!

I primed it and checked for flaws with Tamiya fine surfacer primer, before giving it a coat of Mr Surfacer black 1000. I then painted the nose with aluminium before giving the silver part a coat of AK worn effects fluid.

IMG_6124_zpsfbgxlrp6.jpg

I then mottled on a coat of base colour

IMG_6127_zpsypqqiyvq.jpg

A couple of thin coats of the base colour

IMG_6128_zps0d0kqnjo.jpg

I then applied the top surface cam colour and assembled the tank with the bombs. I am yet to weather the tank.

IMG_6129_zpsge3ivaae.jpg

On the model, they look pretty good.

IMG_6130_zpsfbvzgmms.jpg

IMG_6134_zpsnkz3xnnh.jpg

IMG_6135_zpswcbvhzpk.jpg

2/3rds done with the underwing stuff.

IMG_6136_zpsyirtk6ru.jpg

Man, Eric!! Outstanding stuff mate!! I have to admit that is the first time I have ever seen bombs loaded up on an external fuel tank before! Man, can you imagine what kind of fireworks that would be if an incendiary round hit that fuel tank!! Unique solution to store ordanance!!

Your skills push the known boundary of 1/32 scale detailing!!

Cheers

Alan