Minicraft 1/144 Pan Am Stratocruiser

LSP_Kevin

I need another project on my workbench like a hole in the head, but I just decided I needed to build an airliner again, and have something simpler than my Corsair challenge build to fall back to. So I decided to tackle Minicraft's C-97 kit. I have the "Angel of Deliverance" boxing:

mfs26U.jpg

These markings do nothing for me (or perhaps it's just the really insipid build on the box top). So mine will become a Pan Am bird using an old Airway Graphics (Liveries Unlimited) sheet:

O4W7wC.jpg

And just to make things even more interesting, I was able to procure the Cobra Company upgrade set for this kit a while back:

9Bdbvk.jpg

New resin cowlings with moulded-in engine faces, and new white metal props. It says on the pack that they're for the C-97 and KC-97 tankers, but I'm assuming they're suitable for the civil bird too. If they're not, somebody please let me know! I haven't done any research on these Pan Am aircraft yet, so I'm flying a bit blind at the moment. Looks like I'll need spinner caps for the props at least.

OK, that's the introduction. Don't expect this one to happen too quickly, as my workbench is already full to overflowing with other projects. Still looking forward to it, though.

Kev

Look forward to seeing this Kev - great period in aviation and that scheme iconic!  :)

I don't normally do 1:144 airliners - but I have acquired a couple of Revell Connies. Maybe good MoJo restorers...

Iain

Thanks Iain. I have the Academy 1/72 kit too, and will probably do it in a similar scheme. Possibly large enough for paint masks in that scale! I really need to expand my display options before tacking larger builds like that, though.

Kev

Nice project, Kev. Speaking of airliners, did you hear that Clinton Groves died? They'll soon be liquidating all his hobby stuff, as I hear it; doubtful there will be many (if any) bargains though. Still, some interesting stuff may surface.

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Looking forward to following with great enthusiasm. Nothing as inspiring as the last of the great prop airliners and carrying the Pan Am markings - Awesome. Juan Trippe would will no doubt also be following.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Nice project, Kev. Speaking of airliners, did you hear that Clinton Groves died?

Yeah, I did hear that. Sad news indeed. I used a set of his ATP decals on my BAC 1-11 project, and they turned out to be the worst decalling experience of my life. I actually spoke with Clint about this on Facebook, and he said that for that particular set, the decal printer insisted on using a new, elastic decal film. Elastic was right! As soon as you tried to move the cheatlines off the backing sheet, they just stretched out to around twice their original length! Came out OK in the end, but the real nastiness is on the other side:

m5z4KU.jpg

I intend to repaint this one some day.

In B-377 news, I've now glued both sets of wings together.

Kev

I've just realised that neither the kit props, nor the Cobra Company replacements, are probably suitable for the aircraft I'm building. Most photos I can find of Pan Am Stratocruisers in this later livery have props with rounded tips and spinner caps. Not quite sure how I'll get around that little problem yet. I have to verify it first though.

Kev

Thanks Ernie. I've glued the wings together and will try to post some progress photos soon. I'm still trying to determine if I can get away with the props I have (whether the kit's or Cobra Company's), as they don't at this stage appear to be applicable to the era I'm building. :hmmm:

Kev

Kevin, you almost need an electron microscope to see what you're working on. My eyes are too old for these. Yup, I checked last night. :)

Actually, it's bigger than you'd think Ernie, though it's still pretty small! Much bigger than the 1/144 Meteor HK bundled with their 1/32 kit though!

Kev

OK, first actual modelling update - but only a minor one sadly. As mentioned previously, I've glued the wings together:

SL2z9u.jpg

The starboard wing ended up with a slight under-bite at the leading edge:

9dpEyF.jpg

I packed this out using stretched sprue from the kit, which turned out to be an interesting exercise! On the whole, this kit is a bit agricultural, and no more so than when it comes to the plastic used - it's kind of rubbery, and resisted being heat-stretched in the usual fashion. I went through several sections before producing a segment of stretched sprue I could actually use.

So, after sanding down all the joins and truing things up, I came to notice that the panel lines on this kit are quite pillowy, so I gave both sets of wings a good going-over with a couple of sanding sticks, and then reinstated some of the lost lines. Hopefully this will sharpen them up a bit, though I'm not too fussed if I'm honest. Here's what they look like now:

ULOKJM.jpg

If I was really serious here, I'd sand them all out completely, and rescribe them all from scratch. Can't. Be. Bothered. The wings will need a lot more work though, before they're ready for paint.

More soon!

Kev