Large Scale Tanks

Guest LSP_Jay L

Wow Angelo...awesome builds...I'm sure the officer dude in the VW is trying to work out map directions. :unsure:

Yeah Mike? Is there a lot of difference? I got mine cheap as chips via Lucky...man they are $80+ in the shops here...$17 from Lucky. I have another one with no Zimmerit which has some cool battle damage and is motorized to roll around on the grass...the individual links look pretty cool when it goes over a stick (log).

cheers Matt

Ps...Cool build Jay...would look forward to seeing more dude.

Guest LSP_Jay L

And now, like you say: TRINK MA OANEN.....  RAUCH MA OANE....  :unsure:

Ha Ha! You know it mate! This model has been fuelled by Boddingtons and Benson and Hedges! ;)

Doing a Tiger build sounds really good. I have one of those bad boys in the loft somewhere and I love a tiger. I built the early one already for Mil Mod.

Thanks for all of the interest and encouragement guys, and it is good to see all of the armour builders coming out of the woodwork.

really nice stuff there Angelo. My dio work does not even rank alongside Matts daughters work ( albeit excellent work for a young girl, but totally unacceptable for a man of my age :lol: )

Oops, gotta go. Just realised the time and I'm now officially late for work. :(

Post pics later as I finished the shading last night.

Cheers guys,

Jay

post-8-1129793749.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

OK so on with the shading...

The following shots will clearly illustrate how I do my shading since I dropped the superfluous method of Pre-shading with black.

all of the shading ( first the dark, then the light ) is exaggerated as it will be blended in later.

The pic below shows the "highlights" added with a simple mixture of white added to the base colour.

post-8-1129810923.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

Ok so the last couple of shots you may have been thinking that the shading was well OTT but here it has been toned down. by spraying a slightly thinner than the first time around coat of the original base colour very carefully over all of the tank, the dark and light blend together.

post-8-1129811125.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

Ok so now it is rant time.

I dont know about the rest of you lot, but I for one am sick to death of all of the colour Statzi policing everyones models and saying "this is the wrong shade" etc. What a load of rubbish. Dont get me wrong, I think every effort should be made to ensure the right colours are on a model, but far too much is made about shades etc. there are so many variables to be taken into consideration when painting a model, like wartime manufacturer, how much the guy painting it on cared about accuracy during the war, the effects of the elements on the paint ( which depends on so many variables it doesnt bear thinking about ) and so on and so on. You get the picture. When David Hannant makes the Xtracolor he follows the BSC colour chart for British colours, the RLM chart for German and the appropriate Soviet and American charts. So that's good enough for me. what more could you ask a paint manufacturer to do really? It's up to us to make it look good on the model.

So anyways to the point of my picture below. Look at the lid. closely. Do you see the variations in colour? The effect of the lights? Well that lid is one solid colour. So that is why I do the shading on the model. I am trying to replicate those subtle variations on the model. Is that lid one colour? So why should a model be? So let the MAFVA colour police put that in their pipe and smoke it.

Cheers guys,

Jay

P.S. Can we get something done about the size of the files here? I would be happy with a file allowing 750 pixels wide as that is more than enough to post good pics, and it is a small enough size that those not on Broadband will not have to wait. It is so frustrating having to resize, find out it is too big, then resize again. I started with 575 ( which is usually OK ) but the size was too large. It took four attempts to get it on. 3 more than with my wife.

post-8-1129812182.jpg

Jay, rant on and I'll join in! :angry:

I have a WWII colour photo of two Dodge ambulances parked side by side and they are different colours of "Olive Drabb"

Did you see a while back that well known military modelling magasine wasting nearly four pages on what is the correct shade of O/D?

Many years ago when I were a lad, nearly, and in the TA we had to paint the black cammo on two Land Rovers. The paint came out of the one tin and one truck was sprayed and the other brushed giving two completely different finishes.

At my old model club we had a USAF guy who raided the paint shop for the paint from an actual A-10 to paint his Tamiya 1/48th kit and, the club's own resident rivet counter told him he didn't think the colour scheme looked right!!!

In Volume one of the Verlinden Way there is a series of pictures of his Hasegawa 1/32nd F-16 and the greys vary from picture to picture.

So to people who spend so much time arguing shades and colur matching, look around you.

Rant over, happy now :)

Great looking model there Jay , I'm not really an armour fan these days - but I do appreciate a well built target, oops sorry AFV, :lol: , and many of the techniques do carry across very well - I especially like the cleaness of your build - very nice indeed .

Now for a colour story - Scott Van Aken over at modelling madness , when he was in the USN spent some time at , I think Oceana - the main East Coast F-14 base , This was after the fleet had gone to the low vis Tactical gray scheme .

The corrosion control cuys were forever patching up the aircraft paint , and for a while were using the US equivelent of Halfords gray primer . So one day the local IPM chapeter came for a visit , and they had the chance to inspect the aircraft , so then came the surreal site of a bunch of modellers climbing up ladders , FS 595A fanfolds in hand trying to match the car primer gray to the color chips they had ... Scott swore they were muttering about these aircraft being painted the "wrong " colour.....

Exact colour matches especially in time or war are an illusion .....

:lol: :)

Hi,

Might aswell join in.

Use to build some tanks too.

Now I only have this 1:25 th tankdiorama left....

As usual very simple 'fresh' paintwork.

But this time it's correct...being a museum piece. :)

post-8-1129821489.jpg

Jay , you've pre-emted me again!Your white is much to light!!Now keep in mind that white is the absence of color :) So given the various parameters of snow shading;ultra white, white, yellow :lol: , and finally poop brown, I want to see some realistic shades of white with compensation for scale realism. please keep in mind the ambient light when shooting pics as well!also, nice barrel! the wrong count on lands and grooves however, please check this stuff!!!!!!!..............

just f*#king with you!nice stuff. I have an su-85 I'm going to try some filters on, nothing but pastels for weathering; filters go on last, to hopefully seal and tie it all together.

cheers Mike