A-10B Desert Storm: 2/28 Taking a break

EmperorKai

Well we all know the Road to Recovery starts with " I Have an Addiction"

Only then can  "Rehab" help you thru the Long Struggle to be NORMAL.

Repeat after me

"Hello, my name is Emperor Kai, and I have AMS"

Just saying the words will start you on the Road!

Oh Yes!  if no one has mentioned it, a DESERT CAMO would be RAAAAADD!!!

watch'in you :hmmm:

jack 

LOL!   :rofl:

"I will finish this model before I retire, I will finish this model before I retire..."

Okay, not exactly desert camo :), but exploring some custom nose art possibilities using Vargas pinups.  My favorite so far...

Peeka-BOOM_zps982d13c6.jpg

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

One question Kai, will you be tackling the single lift canopy ?.......Harv

Ah, great question Harvey-  Late last night, I decided to toy around with the canopy question.  The options are:

1. Build it as-is out of the box
  2. Graft a canopy from another kit
  3. Scratch a vacuform canopy

I'd REALLY like to do this with a clamshell canopy, so option 1 is the default if I can't get something else to work.  I have an old Mattel vacuform machine, but not sure if it still works or not.  I came across some of Radu's generous wisdom on making canopies, but I'd prefer a shortcut if possible.  So, with that in mind, I tried out a few canopies from kits in the stash...

IMG_8264_500_zpsc9f2020b.jpg

The A-10 NAW canopy out of the box.  Not too bad, but it's the prototype.  Note that the windscreen in the NAW kit is NOT the same as the really incorrect windscreen in the single-seater kit, and is actually an improvement.

IMG_8267_500_zps6638746f.jpg

Next is the Canopy out of the F-15E parts kit.  It is slightly too long, so in order to pose for the pic, it is canted forward.  If I trim it at the rear and build out a frame along the rear and bottom edge, it will sit closer and hover parallel to the cockpit rail.  This is also fairly close to the prototype profile, and would feature the single piece curved windscreen that according to one source (link below) was the design intention of the A-10B.  Some framing would also need to be built out in front of the windscreen.

IMG_8272_500_zpse6b3a9d1.jpg

Also in the parts-available stash is a Tamiya F-14 canopy.  This has a much sleeker profile, but it is too wide at the rear and would require not only trimming and framing but also probably some widening of the avionics hump behind the cockpit.  It would have the flat plate windscreen like the single seat A-10, but would be a departure from the intended A-10B design.  Because the profile is shallower, there also might not be enough room on the dash for the HUD.

IMG_8275_500_zpse6bb17cd.jpg

Last up is the canopy from a Trumpeter SU-27UB Flanker C.  Amazingly, it ALMOST drop fits!  Some trimming would be required, especially at the rear framing and the windscreen, but pretty darn close.  Ultimately, there are a number of issues though.  

• The extended framing at the rear actually obscures the back-seaters lateral view and would need to be polished out.
  • Framing in the middle is too far forward.  It needs to be moved back so it is proportionately in between the seat positions.
  • The overall profile is very shallow and would require rework of the dash to make enough room for a HUD
  • Lastly- it is incredibly sleek (looks pretty bad-ass IMHO), but aerodynamically speaking, I think the cockpit would be in danger of going faster than the rest of the plane. :)

So, put it all together, I think the F-15E canopy is the best option.  At this point, I'm 95% sure I'm going to go ahead and call this an A-10B and no longer an just an NAW.

I should also cite the Flight International article that I found, which was written in 1979 when there was still some enthusiasm around the A-10 NAW and is one of the best sources I've come across.

Kai

Out of the 3, the F-14 canopy profile looks best, as it has a better front canopy to main canopy transition; similar to the original. the F-15E canopy is way too bulbous for the profile of the concept 2 seat 1 piece main canopy.  The one-piece 2 seat canopy was going  to retain the original windscreen. The kit windscreen is obviously quite inaccurate to, so what I would suggest is to use the front windscreen from the Squadron A-10 VAC canopy correction and either graft the F-14 main canopy or possible the F-15E canopy. 

What we had planned to so is assemble the 2 kit main canopies as a pattern for the one-piece. Obviously some reshaping, scribing, and blend-polishing will be required.

Mike V

I'm kinda stuck between the F-15E  and a Remake of the original!

The ideas that Harv found are all COOL in there own way.

I remember when we had the Desert Camo  A-10 Experiment here at Barksdale AFB some years ago.

Part of the reason I like it so much.

This is the point that you get to decide if this is a What-if.

Ultimately you get to decide, but still be "BASED" on concepts that fit the time period.

The F-15E canopy reminds me of the F-105C 2seater with a clamshell canopy, quite bulbous looking.

Ain't it FUN

watch'in you :piliot:

jack 

I like the nose art....reminds me of Ann Margret   Va-VOOOOMMMM!!

Edited by marauderdriver

Thanks guys- that's what I love 'bout this forum.  Awesome advice, input, builds and inspiration.

I like Mike's idea of possibly combining the Squadron A-10 vacuform canopy with the F-15E canopy.  Internet research really is a two edged sword in that there's lots of it, but the dubious info is mixed in with the valid info.  I haven't really come across a whole lot on the details of the production version 2 seater, which is why the Flight International article is so interesting.  Lots of detailed info, and all from a 1979 perspective.  When I came across the passage that discusses the clamshell canopy and "wraparound windscreen", my ears perked a bit.  The cutaway in the article confirmed some of the notions mentioned in the article as well...

Capture_500_zps9b33daef.jpg

This is the only source that I have found that makes the case for a wrap around windscreen though and I have questions regarding the impact it would've had on the armor protection and whether it might induce distortion to the pilot's forward view.  In my mind, the flat plate, multi-paned windscreen makes sense and does represent the most likely approach, but it's academic either way I suppose.  Truth be told, at this point, I'm really looking for the path of least resistance that still represents a plausible instance of an A-10B.  The F-14 canopy is simply going to be too much work to get it to fit, so the F-15E canopy or a scratch vacuform canopy are my only real choices.

It seems like I have just about every A-10 aftermarket piece out there now EXCEPT for the Squadron canopy :doh:  , so I'll need to order it up so I can explore that route.

In regards to the camo- there are so many very cool scheme's out there.  I really like the where Jack is coming from in terms of the desert camo, especially the multi-toned (via Harvey's link), but I have a soft spot for the ghost gray and even the Israeli concept (though that is more conjectural).  I know I'll be doing a whole mess of Navy gray birds, so I'd like to have something different in the case for this one.  It really comes down to the Gunship gray (which still makes a lot of sense for night missions and does have some historical precedence) or the desert camo, and I'm torn between them.  

For now, I think I'll have to mull over both of these some more- heaven knows there's still plenty to work on until I have to commit :)

In the meantime, I worked a bit more on the tail end today...

IMG_8253_500_zpsf771e772.jpg

Notches were cut in the leading edge of the elevators.  Using the printed picture of the tail, I measured out the apparent location of the cut.  There really needed to be ~something~ in the notch, so I threw a strip of styrene in the middle of the largest notch.  Very little of it will be seen, but it is better than just a opening with nothing in it.

a-10a_75-0298_016_of_121_500_zps0a9ad28b

Here, a comparative view of the notches and trim tab linkage on an A-10A that are completely missing on the kit part

IMG_8258_500_zps0c55a41b.jpg

I scratchbuilt the hood for the trim tab linkage with strip styrene.  I felt the detail on the inboard edge was a little too deep, so I also filled it about halfway with some .030 sheet plastic. 

IMG_8289_500_zps2aba3ec2.jpg

The linkages were completed with scratchbuilt control horns and brass rod, and then sanded to shape.  Panel lines were patched up as well.  At this point, I'm gonna call these done.

IMG_8199_500_zps818f7873.jpg

According to one of my references (Detail and Scale I believe), the ALR-46 RWR was present on airframes prior to 78-0582.  While this should be on the NAW prototype, A-10B production would have probably taken place between 1982 and 1984, well after these were removed or discontinued.  So I decided to remove this.

IMG_8214_500_zps2212d704.jpg

The box like structure was carved away and the resulting opening was carefully opened up for a block of styrene, which was CA'd into place.

IMG_8219_500_zpsfbe20b11.jpg

The plug was then carved to shape and sanded smooth.  Here, the styrene strip that was used, which had plenty of meat on it to work with.

IMG_8236_500_zpsa56b6298.jpg

I also spent some time trimming the opening for the horizontal stab.  Out of the box, the stab doesn't seat all the way and is raised compared to the adjoining fuselage.  I got it to the point where it is now flush, but if you look closely, you can see that it still sits a little cockeyed.  I won't glue this in place until after the engines are attached, so I have some time to figure out if the stab is off-angle or if the fuselage opening is "twisted"...

I also received the engine update, DRA sidewinder rack and A-10 wheels from Sierra Hotel today and will be digging into those over the next few sessions.

Thanks again for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai