A-10B Desert Storm: 2/28 Taking a break

EmperorKai

Short update- worked on correcting the vertical fins for at an A-10 N/AW Late.

IMG_8147_500_zps61b56b34.jpg

On the left, the vertical fin from the A-10A kit and the A-10 N/AW vertical fin on the right.  The red band denotes the area that will be cut and is .25 inch in height.  The original fin for the early A-10 N/AW had a 20.5 inch extension, but this was reduced to an 8.5 inch extension, for a difference of 12 inches.  This 12 inch translates to a .375 inch difference that needs to be removed.  The remaining .125 inch will be accommodated through a shallower cap.

IMG_8160_500_zpsfa163cc9.jpg

Here, the cut has been made and the edge cleaned up.  The half with the cut has been taped to the uncut half for reference.

IMG_8162_500_zps32ca2a7c.jpg

The upper edge of the rudder needs to be horizontal rather than at the angled cut provided with the kit part (this is wrong regardless of A-10 version).  This was accomplished by simply carving away the angled material.  A .250 inch x .188 inch block of styrene (made by gluing two .125 inch x .188 inch strips together) was then CA'd to the top of the fin.  For the rudder, a strip of .100 inch x .250 inch stryrene was CA'd in place.

IMG_8169_500_zps0dffd624.jpg

The silhouette for the new cap is penciled in here as a guide for the initial carving, and is slightly enlarged to account for final shaping and finishing.  Note also that the vertical pivot pins for the rudder have been removed.

IMG_8170_500_zps8309b620.jpg

Carving, shaving and sanding was also done on the rudder cap.

IMG_8175_500_zps3eaf2d5c.jpg

Here, the fin cap and rudder extension have been cleaned up.  They are laid on top of the original kit part (from the opposite side) to verify the height difference, which is .375 inch. 

IMG_8172_500_zpsf6430085.jpg

A comparative with (from left to right) an A-10A fin, the corrected N/AW late fin and the original kit N/AW early fin.

IMG_8185_500_zpsbe1b8d8f.jpg

Both fins, corrected and complete.

Will be working on the horizontal tail next.

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

Looking good, research is always inspiring. If you get access to any old Koku-fan mags, they visited the two holer a few times.

Also of note, they were using a HUD similar to the Strike Eagle, so I would work the Tamiya one in there. Infra-red Mavericks!

Ended up with an old video about the N/AW project that showed a test mission with trucks in a valley as targets.

Could only imagine that gun cleaning up at night!  Silent Death    :whistle:

Thanks Erik! I did work with the Verlinden HUD a bit and it just doesn't look right. As i've got an f-15e parts kit to work with, I'll take your advice and explore that (will post comparisons). Also, in looking into aftermarket Mavericks, appreciate the tip on those.

Would love to see that vid of the NAW (if possible)! :)

Kai

Kai, 

You have a chance to build the ULTIMATE  Night -Hog  that my have seen action in Desert Storm!!

That give you about 10-11 development years as if this went into production.  Imagine the possibilities of 10 years on a Front -Line Airplane

She could be SCAREY DEADLY!!

I'm not a fan of Verlinden  (esp Aircraft) stuff,   Not up to standards

watch'in you :evil_laugh:

Jack

Desert Camo?

Kai, 

You have a chance to build the ULTIMATE  Night -Hog  that my have seen action in Desert Storm!!

That give you about 10-11 development years as if this went into production.  Imagine the possibilities of 10 years on a Front -Line Airplane

She could be SCAREY DEADLY!!

I'm not a fan of Verlinden  (esp Aircraft) stuff,   Not up to standards

watch'in you :evil_laugh:

Jack

Desert Camo?

Thanks Jack- Like you, I've always pictured doing this in a Desert Storm what-if, mainly because the single prototype didn't offer much in the way of modeling creativity.  The 10 years of development is a two-edged sword though.  The original testing was done with late 70's electronics, and there was alot of talk about the direction they wanted to go with it, but that leaves 10 years of upgrades to ponder.  That aside, I can only imagine the after-hours work a Night-hog could've done!

highwayofdeath_500_zps978b8111.jpg

421043F04380441043E043A0-4410430043C044B

I think, inline with the the night mission and the approach that was taken with F-15E's, I'm thinking this one will be gunship grey.  I thought about some of the other schemes, but this one seems to make sense.  One thing that has evolved though are the markings.  I originally planned on using the decals out of the F-15E kit, but after doing some research last night, I think I'll  take a different route and do this one up with markings from an A-10 unit that served in Desert Storm, which seems more likely than a fictitious unit out of Seymour-Johnson.  I'm a sucker for girlie nose art, so I'm looking at a 353 TFS bird, "Play Time"

playtime_3_zps2e57be59.jpg

I also ~might~ borrow most of the markings but do my own pin up, but using the markings straight off the sheet means I could check this off on my list...  

Wouldn't want to offend anyone's sensibilities though  :whistle:

patch_011_zps17f66b6d.jpg

Gotta keep it fun or it just isn't worth it :)

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

Did you happen to  see my F-105D???? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think you may be correct about Gunship, but desert camo is so COOOOL!!

You could make a Pave Tack Pod or  the New (then) Lantrin and Targeting pods?

I would think the idea would be to destroy more targets per sortie, ala  Laser guide in the time leading up to DS

Having the GIB would open up the world of smaller but SMART munitions that the single seat Hog drivers could not access.

watch'in you :yahoo:

Jack

Did you happen to  see my F-105D???? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think you may be correct about Gunship, but desert camo is so COOOOL!!

You could make a Pave Tack Pod or  the New (then) Lantrin and Targeting pods?

I would think the idea would be to destroy more targets per sortie, ala  Laser guide in the time leading up to DS

Having the GIB would open up the world of smaller but SMART munitions that the single seat Hog drivers could not access.

watch'in you :yahoo:

Jack

HA!  Yeah, I most definitely saw your Thud  :wub:

I agree- desert camo or the CAWS have always caught my eye- a good excuse to do another one, eh?

I'm thinking LANTIRN nav/targeting with LLTV and Pave Penny.  Still researching all these goodies will translate into an extension on the landing gear fairing though.  In regards to payload, we are most definitely on the same page

a-10stations_zpsf348953c.jpg

Stations: Payload

1: LAU-114 DRA with 2x AIM-9L Sidewinders

2: AN/AAQ-14 LANTIRN nav pod

3: LAU-117 with 1x AGM-65D Maverick IR

4: TER with 3x GBU-12 (Mk.82 LGB)

5: empty

6: (center fuselage) 600 gallon fuel drop tank

7: empty

8: TER with 3x GBU-12 (Mk.82 LGB)

9: LAU-117 with 1x AGM-65D Maverick IR

10: AN/AAQ-13 LANTIRN targeting pod

11: ALQ-119 ECM pod

How's that for night CAS?  :)

Kai

(edited for duplicate post- oops!)

Edited by EmperorKai

Thanks Maru!

Have been plugging away at the tail plane...

IMG_8182_500_zps0a67ef49.jpg

As mentioned previously, the kit has oversized ridges that really need to be toned down.  The one on the left is out-of-the-box, and on the right has been scraped and sanded down to a proper scale thickness.

IMG_8183_500_zps5cb5b642.jpg

My trick for getting these consistent was to lay down two layers of Tamiya tape on either side and then planing with a hobby knife.

IMG_8189_500_zpsfc9b97e0.jpg

The elevators actually need quite a bit of work.  The angle on the inboard edge is too extreme.  I printed off the pic (posted previously) and measured the correct angle with a protractor and came up with 95 degrees, versus the kit part at 115 degrees.

IMG_8190_500_zpsa316f8b7.jpg

Did the same for the outboard edge, which is close enough that I decided to leave the angle as-is at 70 degrees.

IMG_8211_500_zps37894aa5.jpg

The inboard edge was cut (from the root corner to the pencil tick mark).  A shim made from .080 inch strip was tacked on the end and carved to shape.  The gap between the elevator balances (?) was also shortened on top/bottom to better match references.

IMG_8206_500_zps91ce992e.jpg

While the angle on the inboard edge is fairly accurate, it is missing the break.  The elevator was extended by .060 inch

IMG_8207_500_zps97fcd4e0.jpg

Here is a better view of the structural depth that was added to the outboard edge, which will be more visible than the inboard edge. 

IMG_8202_500_zpsdf3df102.jpg

The rear fuselage was glued together, and is seen here still in a rough state.  The tail plane has been dry-fitted here and a good before-after comparison between a corrected elevator and the stock kit part.  Note also that the gaps for the elevator balances on the horizontal stab were also shortened by .040 inch.  The center horn that goes between the elevator balances also had to be trimmed to fit properly between the two fillers in the elevator.

IMG_8193_500_zpsb4b016e9.jpg

A wider view comparing the before-after elevators.  Still lots to do-  Mirror the work on the other elevator, notches in the elevator leading edge and the linkages for the trim tabs are next.

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Call Me  "TANK- PLINKER" !

Love the load out Kai,   we were definitely having the same load ideas.

Now about that DESERT CAMO,  I know probably been Gunship,  BUT HEY!

The attention to detail is fabulous, but from what I've heard about this kit my question is

Kai,  How old are you?  No I'm serious, How old are you?   Just Say'in

Lovin'it  sofar

If I had your skills, I might try one of these

watch'in you :goodjob:

jack

Did I mention DESERT CAMO   is COOL?  

Edited by marauderdriver