Hobby Boss IL-2M3 (*DONE* and more pics added to Pg.7!)

mywifehatesmodels

Hey John

Great to see you moving along on this!  Just a heads up- the panel lines for the wing root are missing both at the rear (you mentioned above) AND the front.  I didn't notice the front ones were missing until much later in my build.  They are easy to miss and kind-of a pain to get to.

Looking Good!

Kai

Guest Peterpools

John

One sweet project and looking forward to following your progress. Nice start and it's a shame that HB made sure a mistake, requiring so much putty and filler work

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks, all!

Kai, I noticed that the panel line at the front of the wing root is also missing, but only on ONE side! :mental: Whatever. I'll deal with it, I guess.

I've been busy with other stuff this weekend, but did manage to get a little bit further. I sanded the putty back down on the rear fuselage and also pecked away at more of the cockpit details.

20141005_193522_zps2cd7b45c.jpg

20141005_190533_zpsade285ff.jpg

The placement of some of the parts in Eduard's instructions is a little vague, so I'm going to check some photos before going any further. I think I might have to relocate a couple things, but better to have to do it now, rather than later. I'm also considering adding some more wiring/tubing to the cockpit and, in particular, the control column/yoke, just to liven it up a bit. The real thing was a bit more complex than what the kit provides, so if I can get a little closer to looking like the real thing, that will be good. Otherwise, I'm liking the Eduard set, so far. Most of the parts are actually useful, which is more than I can say for some of their other sets I've used.

Thanks again for dropping in!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

John, I found that when I tried to place the Eduard parts on the starboard side of the cockpit to match photos I could find that they wouldn't fit. It's like the Eduard parts are a bit over sized. In the end I got them close and liked the look but they are off a bit from photos.

OD,

After doing some research of my own, I see exactly what you mean. I'll probably do something similar to what you did with yours and just try to put everything in to "busy it up" the best I can. Another problem I'm facing is finding good photos of the real thing. Plenty of flight sim renditions and drawings out there. Even one photo of a restored cockpit, but plenty of contradictions between them. Then, comparing them to the kit and the Eduard set leads to even more confusion. I'm just going to forge ahead with what I have and hope that no Sturmovik pilots stop by my house in the future to critique my build! :innocent:

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Thanks, OD.

Quick question for you! I think I'll be building up the engine, next. I see that you opted to just do the basics on yours, as I plan to do, as well. However, I also noticed that it appears as if you added the exhaust stacks AFTER painting the exterior/camo. Did you have any issues getting the pipes in by doing it this way? I have the Quickboost pipes, but I'm sure the same principles apply. Was just wondering if it was any hassle, because masking around them and not knocking them off has it's own hassles!

I also just opened up the Eduard exterior set, wanting to make sure that there isn't anythiing in there that I should be adding before completing/painting the cockpit and engine, then buttoning up the fuselage. Looks like I'm safe for the moment and I see that there are parts abound to cover the radiator. In fact, this set is LOADED with parts. Not sure I'll use them all, but it's nice to know that so many details are available, if I should decide that they fit the bill!

Thanks again,

John

John, I don't remember there being any issues with installing them after the fact but it has been two years since I built it, sorry !  I have not seen the Quickboost pipes so I don't know how they differ. I might consider them when I build the straight wing version (not in my short range plans at the moment)