Revell DH-Sea Venom 1/32

TaffyMan

Hi Guys and Gals

I'm in for a bit of Double Trouble or is it Terrible Twins!

I'm hopping this will give me the incentive to get back on the plastic hobby horse - been struggling lately with just looking at bits with no umffffff to get going. :shrug:

So my choise is an old venerable British Jet.

Two Booms - Two Tails & Two Crew :thumbsup:

So I'm thinking I might qualify for this one. Picked this kit up cheep as chips at the Avon Model show last month. So this gives me an excuse to get it out and give it a bash

Always the first shot - The kit box

001-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsf0a73e56.jpg

Inside, quite a bit of white plastic. Bit old and not tuns of detail - But hay I'll see where it goes - But best of all its got teeth!!!! I like teeth on a plane, plus a giant snoopy nose - this is always a winner in my book.

My fist thought on this one is to do it in an in flight pose, seeing as you get a crew with this one. Just need to try and work out how to mount it!

First thinking is up the jet pipe or some how on the belly - anybody got any ideas or pointers on how to do this? :D

Okay first port of call lets have a look at the cockpit

002-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsb93be1a8.jpg

UHHHHMMMMM!!!!! :hmmm: Just slapped together with blue tac think the kit is showing it age here - might see what I can do to tart this area up. Suppose most of it will be hidden by the bods in their seats, we will see what I can do!

Thats all for now! But at least I have got the thread going - till next Double Time and Happy Modelling

Cheers - Taff :D

The basics are there. It is just a tad better than a vac kit in details.

Still a fun build.

Yer not kidding Harold - think I might be breaking out a bit of filler on this one!!!! But yep the shape looks good the plastic feels okay but think the white is going to drive me potty! :mental: can't wait to get some colour on it

Cheers Taff

Nice choice, must get one of these someday.

Ryah

Cheers Ryan I'd wait to see what mess I get into first!!!! LOL but hay should be fun

Taff :D

Yer not kidding Harold - think I might be breaking out a bit of filler on this one!!!! But yep the shape looks good the plastic feels okay but think the white is going to drive me potty! :mental: can't wait to get some colour on it

Cheers Taff

Cheers Ryan I'd wait to see what mess I get into first!!!! LOL but hay should be fun

Yeah, you WILL have "FUN" with it. And yes, I wish they would use a gray plastic.

Hi Harold - Oh Grey would be nice, so nice!!!! Bit less harsh on the eyes!!! :coolio:

Whilst hunting around doing some research on this kit did I come across some seats and bits that you where doing for this kit? Think it was on BM - did anything come of them?

Hi Harold - Oh Grey would be nice, so nice!!!! Bit less harsh on the eyes!!! :coolio:

Whilst hunting around doing some research on this kit did I come across some seats and bits that you where doing for this kit? Think it was on BM - did anything come of them?

I have a pair of seat molds. But they have dried up too much to use. I will make some new molds over the weekend if you need a pair.

I do have the main wheels mocked up but not ready to use. I need to add the hub bolts.

Hi Guys  Thanks for looking in

NOICE Taff!

Cant wait to see what you do with this one.............but I almost guaranteed you wouldn't be able to leave that old 60s era pit as it was!

Yep Brain even with the Thompson Twins sitting in there You can still see to much of the main bits - So it's back to trying to make some thing of it - More bits of brass, plastic, tape and glue - fingers crossed and a sacrifice of some plastic on the alter of the great model gods it might look half decent! :whistle:

I have a pair of seat molds. But they have dried up too much to use. I will make some new molds over the weekend if you need a pair.

I do have the main wheels mocked up but not ready to use. I need to add the hub bolts.

Harold - Wow that would have been great but as the Twins will be sat in the pit not sure you will see much of your wonderful seats. Real shame because the bit I have seen of them they look F A B and all you would likely see, in detail is the top and a bit of the back - this was meant to try and give me a spur to get back on to the horse! So I was going to do her wheels up in a flight pose - That's if I can workout how I am going to do that neatly on a stick. :shrug:

Still trying to work out in my head what to do with the seat tops and backs. As they don't look much like the real thing! So a bit like what I am trying to doing with the rest of the pit enhance / update whats their - see where it gets me!

Oooh - will follow this closely - great subject - have a pile in the 'pending' file!

Iain

Hi Iain - Thanks for looking in and following. I will like wise be following yours with great interest I got the Glass Nose awaiting for me but the idea of doing her in 6 months -NOOOOOO WWWAAAY :frantic: not at my snail pace of building more like 16 months if I was lucky!

I have learned something new from your thread - didn't know that they had belly guns? I am keen to see how you get through that one!!

Hey Taff - can't wait to see what you do with this...

..especially the cockpit - I am wondering if it is a breach of the trade description act to actually call it that until you work your magic!

all the best

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Hi Peter - Yep not to much too work with but a bit of your brass and decals should give me a fighting chance of getting something. If not I can always fatten up the Thompson Twins with some Milliput and try and hide as much as I can!!!! :lol:

Haven't checked for a bit. So how is your plastic scratch build marathon going? LOL

Happy Days - Taff :D

Okay been away most of the weekend partying so only a little bit started - But it is started

So first bit to get down with - The Pit

Okay not much in the original but I am not going to strip it all out and start again. This is meant to be a build to get me going again! So it will be more of enhancing and working with what I have from the kit.

The bits in all there 60's - 70's majesty - plus some of Airscale brass and bits to help me.

003-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsca610cbc.jpg

Also in the pic you can see my plan that I drew up in Illustrator. This is not accurate to the real world but hopefully should look a bit better, that is as long as I don't c-ck it up. :mental:

The reference pics of the cockpit show that the pilot's IP has a centre column that is missing on the kit bit so  I will add that in. I cut out my templates and with a bit of Spray Mount on the back stuck them on the kit pit - just to check fit and see how it will look - with a bit of luck!

004-SeaVenomFAW22_zpse6bd881c.jpg

Then with the Thompson Twins - Uhhhhhhmmmmm tight in there - bit less of this :popcorn:

005-SeaVenomFAW22_zps4d1a72e8.jpg

Left hand side ready to be operated on. My intention is to kind of work with the bits I have got so to that end . Wheel shapes got cut and rubbed of then remade. Throttle got chopped of and a grove cut it the top to re-house it

006-SeaVenomFAW22_zps6cabaa02.jpg

Are easy with a picture!!!! :hmmm:

So this is where I am at with left and right bits enhanced! So I hope you think it is an improvement? Should be better with some colour - WHHHHHIIIIITTTEEE to much white!!!!!!

007-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsd87426ed.jpg

008-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsf22ce715.jpg

Okay next time the main IP's and the Radar -  :hmmm: Hummmmmm should be interesting!

Till next time thanks for looking in and any comments always welcome

Cheers - Taf :D

Hi folks little bit more done - just trying to push it along

The kit IP got all the moulded bits rubbed off. Then I built up the co pilots station. Looking at pictures these seem to be at a bit more of an angle as Revel has them nearly vertical. :frantic: They are also the wrong sizes, shape….. etc and so on! But I am adapting whats their rather than a complete rebuild. So I stuck some plastic sheet on to the fronts and rubbed these back to give it a bit more angle, then shaped the edges. Slapped on some Surface 500 to cover any scratches.

Then started the fun bit with some of the Airscale brass, some plastic sheet and my punch set. Not a jot near accurate to the real thing but I hope it will look a bit more realistic than OOB!

So after several hours ……. and a few curse words at the fiddly bits :fight: ……… and how comes it will stick to me but not where I want it to stick :mental: ……. We'v all been there! I got this

009-SeaVenomFAW22_zpseda3cb78.jpg

Close up pictures god it looks a mess and also I can see I have left the leaver of DOH! :doh:

Then a test with the twins just to check it still fits with the additions

010-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsc3077563.jpg

Okay guys only a quick-un. Next will be moving on to the side walls and foot well Uhhhhmmm the seat!s :hmmm:  - Then with some luck I might be able to splash some paint on to these bits. I don't know from one extreme to another all white to all black!

Till next time Happy Days - Taff :D

I quite like this kit, no idea why

_3306719_zps7520bce0.jpg

The sparse detail I can live with, scratch building always livens things up, the biggest issue for me is the great big

"woof" in the fuselage around the gun bay doors that doesnt exist on the real bird.

I think Matchbox pooched the fuselage dimensions between the engine bay and the forward fuselage,