Vacuform kits

imatt88

Hey all,

Thinking about tackling a vac kit to get some mojo flowing

Any tips, hints, help would be appreciated as always.....

Also, has anyone built Tigger"s Fairey Firefly kit.

I'm thinking about picking that kit up and a Combat Models Me 410.

Cheers, Ian

Even though it may be heresy, I'd suggest starting on something smaller, and simpler. A 1/72 jet, like a F3H or FJ4 would be ideal. You will learn valuable skills, and they will translate more easily to 1/32 than starting with a LSP- Especially a twin where alignment opens up a whole new can of worms. K1 did a 1/72 Tunnan, skipped the cockpit and landing gear, but seemed to have learned a lot from that build. 

I think these days, doing a vac form kit is tantamount to scratchbuilding, compared with all the marvelous kits available.  The self satisfaction and fulfilment you will get from building a vac-form will have your mojo bouncing back.  Take it steady and bear in mind that with the right materials and tools (Milliput and files) ain't nuttn' you can't do/make/repair/modify/correct.

Enjoy it!

Cheers,

Martin

Even though it may be heresy, I'd suggest starting on something smaller, and simpler. A 1/72 jet, like a F3H or FJ4 would be ideal. You will learn valuable skills, and they will translate more easily to 1/32 than starting with a LSP- Especially a twin where alignment opens up a whole new can of worms. K1 did a 1/72 Tunnan, skipped the cockpit and landing gear, but seemed to have learned a lot from that build. 

I AGREE 100%.

I would start with a 1/48 scale myself. Easier to handle larger parts.

Start with the least expensive kit you can find and that way you may not be inhibited by the investment of money.

Then you may enjoy the learning process. 

Stephen

Agree with all comments above.

I may add that building a Combat vac as a relative newby to the dark art may put you off for life! In my experience, every Combat kit I've built has been an absolute nightmare! Get a few under your belt first is my advice.

I've built a few of Tigger's vacs and they'd certainly be a better starting point - the plastic is much thicker and easier to work with for a start.

Guest Jessie_C

I may add that building a Combat vac as a relative newby to the dark art may put you off for life! In my experience, every Combat kit I've built has been an absolute nightmare!

That's because "Combat Models" is a description, not a brand name. A beginner may wish to start with something smaller and with less scratch-building necessary. Any of Falcon's or Aeroclub's 1/48 kits will be less effort.

Third in favour of Dynavector. They are the Rolls-Royce of vacforms in my opinion.  It will be easier to get a good result from the Dynavector kits than the similarly scaled Airfix TSR.2 and Trumpeter Hornet/Sea Hornet kits.

Jens

I'm working on a Contrail TSR2 vac-form.....when I really can't think of anything else to do.....or when I fancy a real challenge!<G>  If I told you it necessarily involved a lathe, you'll get the picture.  It was a birthday gift from my younger son, who just assumed if it was a kit, it must be accurate! Therefore it has to be done.  Whatever it takes.  I should also say that Milliput is cheaper if you buy it in bulk off ebay!!  Nuff hints?

Good luck,

Cheers,

Martin

I have to agree with everthing already said on the subject, but eventually when getting the hang of it, you'll have a blast building, and ofcourse with ups and downs, but that is surely to happen to the "experienced builders" as well from time to time.

Try it!!!

Jack.

I'll go utterly against the flow and say - don't do it!

It'll take an inordinate amount of time, you'll end up spending more money than you would on a injected-plastic or resin model, you'll be incredibly frustrated at times, you'll wish you had tools you simply don't have, your references will need to be deep, plentiful & accurate - in reality, they'll disagree on key aspects. You'll be half-way through the 5 year project, and Revell will drop a 1/32 kit at £30, your AM purchases will spiral, you'll have at least one major accident & your stash will appear to grow bigger with each passing day. Your sanity will suffer and you'll end up posting once a month about the weather, before dropping the hobby and taking up something easier and more satisfying, like kitchen based cold nuclear fusion using only simple kitchen utensils.

Do a nice little resin kit instead. Maybe a Silver Wings kit, or if you want a challenge, an AIMs Revell Ju88 to Ju188/388 conversion.

I'll go utterly against the flow and say - don't do it!

It'll take an inordinate amount of time, you'll end up spending more money than you would on a injected-plastic or resin model, you'll be incredibly frustrated at times, you'll wish you had tools you simply don't have, your references will need to be deep, plentiful & accurate - in reality, they'll disagree on key aspects. You'll be half-way through the 5 year project, and Revell will drop a 1/32 kit at £30, your AM purchases will spiral, you'll have at least one major accident & your stash will appear to grow bigger with each passing day. Your sanity will suffer and you'll end up posting once a month about the weather, before dropping the hobby and taking up something easier and more satisfying, like kitchen based cold nuclear fusion using only simple kitchen utensils.

Do a nice little resin kit instead. Maybe a Silver Wings kit, or if you want a challenge, an AIMs Revell Ju88 to Ju188/388 conversion.

whoah, hold your horses buddy, ease down, ofcourse there is merit in what your saying, but that is not the point!!

As in resin (and THAT could be a pain in the but as well) all the vacform building isn't so much about "beating" or challenging the IM industry, it's just a way of trying ( and i say again...trying) to make up a modelling subject that you liked so much in order to try this technique, or on the far side of the modelling curve being a masochist :hmmm: :wicked: , but in the end, once you try and being able to persevere, you'll have fun in the process,

its the journey that counts, and if the end result is satisfying (TO YOU) it's a bonus.....

Just my two vacform p's...........

Jack.

Edited by Jack

whoah, hold your horses buddy, ease down, ofcourse there is merit in what your saying, but that is not the point!!

As in resin (and THAT could be a pain in the but as well) all the vacform building isn't so much about "beating" or challenging the IM industry, it's just a way of trying ( and i say again...trying) to make up a modelling subject that you liked so much in order to try this technique, or on the far side of the modelling curve being a masochist :hmmm: :wicked: , but in the end, once you try and being able to persevere, you'll have fun in the process,

its the journey that counts, and if the end result is satisfying (TO YOU) it's a bonus.....

Just my two vacform p's...........

Jack.

I agree - it's all about choice. I avoid vacuform, but I can understand the challenge it offers.

Vacform kits are nice because they are so light compared to injection plastic. They fly better when you throw them from your bench.

Some of them become obsessions, like the Handley Page HP 42 airliner in 1/72 scale that, let's just say, probably won't show up as an injection molded kit in 1/32 scale, nor might I ever consider placing it in my model shelf at that size. It is, however, a thing of hope and beauty. I hope one day it becomes a beauty.

Tnarg