Can a Bf-109 F-4 be built from parts in 1/32 Hasegawa F-2?

Mustang JBB

Early F-4s were essentially F-2s with a different engine and are virtually indistinguishable in most photos. 

Later F-4 had a larger supercharger intake, a deeper oil cooler and sometimes wider chord props.  F-2 used 100 octane and the  F-4 used 87 octane.

The octane marking was a yellow triangle, with the appropriate octane indicated, below the fuel cap on the port fuselage, as seen in the photo below.

Me_109_propcurl_zps9b8daf6d_jpg_original

Edited by RBrown

The kits come with different supercharger intakes, cowl panels and oil coolers.  If you can find the "Galland Special" boxing of the "F" a standard F-2 can be built from that as well.

Edited by Mikester

F2's are currently going for $200+ AUD on Ebay.

I'll swap you an F4.

How's that for a deal? Eh, eh???  :innocent:

Well...  Jeepers buddy, I wouldn't feel right about that since I already painted the cockpit and glued the fuselage together.  Wouldn't be fair to you. ;)

F2's are currently going for $200+ AUD on Ebay.

Excellent ... who says model kits aren't an investment ... I picked up my F2 about a year ago for $42 (AUD) delivered out of Japan ...

I wonder if I'd have to pay Capital Gains Tax???

Rog :)

Having compared the instructions for the various Hasegawa F boxings, the F-4 trop has the larger air intake, port cowl, and oil cooler, but the others (F-2, F-4/B Jabo, F-4 Priller, F-6/U Galland) all have the same (F) parts, with the possible exception of certain windscreens.  Even with the F-4 trop, it is the same prop.  The wing sprue is the same one used for the G kits, so the wheel well differences are left to you.

bob

As is typical with Messerschmitt production there are no absolutes. While the octane triangle is fairly consistent indicator of the type there are exceptions.

W. Nr. 9535 through 9734 were Arado built Bf 109 F-2s equipped with the DB 601E and had the 87 octane marking.  These aircraft were built after the newer engine became  available in early summer of 1941.