Kitty Hawk Model 1/32 P-39Q/N

LSP_Kevin

Well, I need another build on my workbench like I need another kit in the stash, but with all the talk about this kit recently, I figured it was apropos to get it started. I'm planning for it to be largely OOB, with perhaps the addition of fabric seat belts. I'm still debating the extent to which I will leave the panels open, and am toying with the idea to button one side up, and leave the panels off on the other.  The goal is to show off as much of the supplied detail as possible, but also road test the fit of the open panels in the closed position.

One of the downsides to having all the panels off on this particular model is that, most of the interesting markings are wholly or partially on them. So if you're looking to feature those markings on your model, all the open panels will make that a bit of a waste of time. Since I'm planning to build "Snooks 2nd", and the personalised markings are repeated on both sides, I can have the best of both worlds. My main concern is that the result will look a bit artificial, a bit unnatural. We'll see what happens, I guess!

Here's the obligatory box photo to kick things off:

5WrRrC.jpg

If you want to know more about what's in the box, check out my review. I'm hoping to cut plastic before I go back to work on Monday.

Kev

Thanks, Craig! I can't guarantee anything but slow progress at this stage, but I really don't want this one to drag out as much as most of my builds seem to. We shall see! A lot depends on my review schedule, which is down to a single item at the moment, but I expect that to change soon...

Kev

... toying with the idea to button one side up, and leave the panels off on the other.  The goal is to show off as much of the supplied detail as possible, but also road test the fit of the open panels in the closed position.

One of the downsides to having all the panels off on this particular model is that, most of the interesting markings are wholly or partially on them. So if you're looking to feature those markings on your model, all the open panels will make that a bit of a waste of time. Since I'm planning to build "Snooks 2nd", and the personalised markings are repeated on both sides, I can have the best of both worlds. ...

That's what I'm considering for mine.  However, re the personal markings on "Snooks 2nd", this site says starboard only, so if that's correct you may wish to "open up" the port side.  http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/p-39/42-19995.html

HTH, and will be watching.

Excellent!  Will watch with interest.  I'm thinking of backdating my 39 to a D or and F--I still have these cool Zotz markings I want to use.

Doesn't seem like it will require much in the way of modifications.

Tim W.

Hey, it looks like someone has already beaten me to it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Built-1-32-P-39-Q-AIRACOBRA-Snooks-2nd-not-1-48-/221859795151

Don't let Doogs see this one!

Also, the builder has the markings on both sides.

Kev

Wow!  Looks like a P-39 to me regardless of it's 'short' comings.  Saved some of those images for future reference.  Thanks.

Best regards

Patrick

Thanks for your interest, fellas. I have no idea what the interior colour should be, either, other than probably some shade of green. I better find out soon, I guess, as there's a lot of interior on this one, and that's where it all starts!

Hopefully I can get some time today to make that start.

Kev