Revell F-4G

kurth

Hello,

I have been a very long time lurker here.  Reading since I first found the site in the early part of the century, and a member for almost 2 years. I typically build 1/48th jets, as well as large planes in 1/72. I also build cars, especially large scale cars.

I have not built a LSP since 2003. The last LSP I did was the Revell F-4E, way back in 2002-3 I remember it being a fun build, but sadly the model was destroyed in a move.   I have been looking forward to the release of the Revell F-4G, so I figured I would dive right in. This will be an OOB build, with SHG decals. I plan to build this as one of the Euro I scheme birds on the sheet.

So on to the build... I have started by painting the cockpit parts gray. 

IMGP7291-vi.jpg

I painted all the instrument panels and side panels, I already had the airbrush going and did not feel like getting the instructions out to figure out which of the parts went with this version

IMGP7294-vi.jpg

Once the paint dries I can start picking out the details which need to be black, and start on the seats.

All the pictures I take will be in this album on Fotki

Edited by kurth

Wow!  Thank you for the warm welcome.

Turns out I should have consulted the instructions, there are new instrument panels on the G specific sprues, so it looks like I need to get the airbrush out again tonight. Maybe I will grab another modern jet kit to make the effort of airbrushing the Instrument panels worthwhile.  I might also mask and airbrush the side panels to ensure neatness. 

Edited by kurth

I painted the correct instrument panels, and some parts on a 1/48th F-4EJ .. and I ran out of paint in the color cup after painting the parts I needed to... no wasted paint!

On to the the rest of the cockpit in our next installment.

Edited by kurth

If you guys hang around long enough you will see we have some of the worlds best modelers in any scale IMHO................and some of the nicest, most generous people in modeling from my personal experience.

Okay, so I decided to try to mask and paint the side panels and it did not work as expected. The raised parts do not quite stand proud enough to burnish through tamiya tape. I tried cutting the tape and ended up putting cut marks in the panels. 

IMGP7297-vi.jpg

Ok, time for plan B .. brush painting  

It quickly became clear I could not really see the detail well enough, but fortunately I have this cool magnifying glass

IMGP7298-vi.jpg

so after finding the two good paint brushes that were not all splayed out I ended up with a pretty good result

IMGP7302-vi.jpg

and the damaged one will look ok 

IMGP7301-vi.jpg

after this dries, time for some white highlights, then a gloss coat, and a light wash to give it a bit of depth.

I also glued together the seat frames in anticipation of a round of airbrushing, but that will have to be another day, I need to get up early (for me) to attend the local IPMS show ... the NOVA IPMS Model Classic

IMGP7300-vi.jpg

Next task, the part I find the hardest, the instrument panels. <_<

Any suggestions or critiques are welcome.

Edited by kurth

Got the first stage of the instrument panels done

Was not as bad as I feared

IMGP7308-vi.jpg

The screens will be painted green to try to simulate the screens in the back seat

I wanted to attack the white today, but first, the ejector pin marks that always seem to be in phantom intakes need to be addressed

IMGP7305-vi.jpg

so once the putty dries, I can go on to the part I like the best .. sanding!

I have the instrument panels as good as I am going to get them

IMGP7309-vi.jpg

IMGP7311-vi.jpg

and two of the side panels

IMGP7312-vi.jpg

and the ejector pin marks on the intakes are filled and sanded, but the picture does not seem to be on the SD card so I will include that on the next update.

Hopefully I will have the time and energy to start airbrushing some parts tomorrow. 

Tonight was everybodys favorite fun task ... PAINT WHITE

I decided to focus on the parts required for major assembly, I will worry about the undercarriage parts later. It was not so bad, I have found using tamiya flat white in an airbrush to work well for me, especially on smooth parts. I was lucky today, the Tamiya flat white came out with almost a semi gloss sheen, so I will not have to go back over it with gloss white

I got the inside of the intakes painted

IMGP7320-vi.jpg

and nose gear bay parts  .. though it looks like these might need a little more paint coverage in this picture

IMGP7313-vi.jpg

and now I have a question, what color should this bulkhead be? The instructions say steel, with a different color for the turbine blades but I do not know if that is right .. so I painted it white since it is easier to paint over white, than to paint white over another color

IMGP7318-vi.jpg

next time I will paint the seats so I can get the cockpit done

all suggestions welcome

Edited by kurth

One little update for today. 

In the quest for good looking ejection handles, I decided to airbrush them. It may seem silly to load up the airbrush for such a small task, but trying to do it with a brush results in poor coverage for me. I also  airbrushed the seat cushions. Maybe not quite the right color, but it looks ok to me

IMGP7321-vi.jpg

Slow going, but momentum will build soon once I get the seats painted, hopefully tomorrow.