Arado Ar 196A-3 - Revell kit in 1/32

alberto49

This is my first ever kit from Revell.

My daughter brought it to me as a present for my birthday, last February, I was very pleased  :)  :)  :)

I started working on it sometimes before holidays, so here following some pictures of what has been done so far:

Cockpit details:

DSCN0970-vi.jpg

DSCN0981-vi.jpg

DSCN0983-vi.jpg

DSCN0977-vi.jpg

DSCN0979-vi.jpg

Incorrect use of light made everything looking very greyish, the real colour I used for the cockpit can be seen in the first picture.

Some more to follow very soon.

My goal is to try to replicate this machine:

AR196A3-vi.jpg

better seen in this profile

AradoAr196A37RBK-vi.jpg

therefore I started with a coat of RLM72

DSCN1072-vi.jpg

DSCN1071-vi.jpg

but, before going on with the next colour, I wanted to see if I could arrange a suitable arrangement for my model: it's a float plane, so she should be floating in water.

I purcased a doc set from Italeri and I assembled it:

DSCN1106-vi.jpg

DSCN1107-vi.jpg

Doesn't look too bad and I intended to fill it with clear resin to simulate water.

But there is a problem, unfortunately, it's too small, the aeroplane will not look right in it.

It has been a good exercise for me, but I have already put it aside just in case I have the opportunity to use it for something else.

So I will have to chose: either I will do a larger one, but then I will have problems in fitting it in my cabinet, or I will do it differently, will see.

Alberto

Looking good.  I'm doing this one at the moment too, interesting to see your slightly different approach as to when to fit the floats and wings.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=53170&hl=

Have to confess you've done far more work on the engine (in particular) than I have, it looks great.

Edited by MikeC

Again thanks to all for the comments.

In answer to Bill, the catapult is a very good idea, even if not in line with my intent to make a Mediterranean bird that looks a bit more colourful. But I could change my mind if I don't find a different solution to achieve my goal.

To MikeC, I decided to leave the float unassembled at least until they will painted with the second camouflage color.

Alberto

I did a mock-up arrangement and, as you will see below, if the seaplane model is positioned with the tail pointing to the dock, it looks really bad, I think.

DSCN1138-vi.jpg

DSCN1139-vi.jpg

The piece of balsa wood is intended to define the depth of water under floats. Afterwords some more resin will be purred in order to reach the floating level.

Instead, if it the nose to point the dock, it is a bit better, in my opinion, but I still think that's not realistic to show a wing that protrudes beyond dock's walls.

DSCN1140-vi.jpg

I will see after the camou painting will be complete.

Alberto

I have one question for Bill as well as all other guys following my thread: in your opinion the transition between camouflage colours (RLM 70 & RLM 72) is it neat or soft?

According to a document I found, referred to BF 109, the colours should overlap 10 cm in 1:1 scale, so aprox 3 mm in my scale, what do you think?

Many thanks

Alberto