Would like to learn more about skinning with metal sheets!

BiggTim

I also found out that alcool is better than water to clean the brush or remove glue residues ...

But save that Bourbon for gathering courage before you start foiling ;-) ...

Hubert

This is a true statement Hubert,

I was just referring to what I do in between 1 panel to another. When I'm done for awhile I will clean my brush in alcohol or mineral spirits.

Whatch out when you are going to foil.

Its a adiction now im looking for planes that i can foil :wicked: :wicked:

Mark

This is also a TRUE STATEMENT

put the foil in a container with bleach that will give that effect.

If you going to do this do it out side and the foil no longer dan 4 hours in the container.

Mark

Mark, can you tell us what "bleach" you used? I'd like to try this for the thrust reverser of my Viggen.

Thanks in advance.

Rainer

Rainer

Mark is referring to chlorine bleach like used in laundry to whiten cloths.

You can add lead and /or copper to make other colors.

Do not leave the foil in the bleach mix for more than about 4-5 hours

as it will breakdown the foil. The Heavy Duty foil can stay in about 8 hr.

Just take it out and rinse it in water and wen dry it's good to go.

Jack

• 6 months later...

Upon reading this fine string I have come up with two points:

1) Yes it is a lot of work and experimentation. As with any skill one develops it quite often starts out with frustration and failure. Gradually one gets better at it. To get the feeling of satisfaction one will expend much time and effort to develop the skills needed for success. It has been my experience that after one has developed his skill then one can enjoy the process. Nothing is free in life. If you want to succeed at something you have to put in the blood sweat and tears (sorry Winston, I just could not resist quoting you).

2) One good thing with the boiling egg technique is you can have breakfast while you work on your model. :)

Enjoy,

Stephen

Whatch out when you are going to foil.

Its a adiction now im looking for planes that i can foil :wicked: :wicked:

Mark

Well, there are a lot of WW1 aeroplanes you can foil.... :rofl:

Enter it in an IPMS competition. It would be fun to see the expressions of the judges faces when they contemplate an aluminum Nieuport or SE5a or Albatros. Even more fun to see the faces of the humorless veddy veddy "serious" modelers when they observe such a sacrilege.

Edited by ssculptor

Jack-

Your F-84 in flight is stunning! What really jumped out at me are the lighter "lines" along some of the rivet rows- Looks awesome. How did you achieve that effect?

Also- No one has mentioned applying decals over the foil. Any pointers?

Cheers

Pete 

If you have stencils to go over foil, it can be really handy to dip the back of the decal in Future first, remove the excess, and apply from there. This does help with silvering. I have found dry stencils work ok on foil too, but it really has to be deeply grained to get a more matt look, as they do not work well on the shiny side, nor when the foil is polished.

Well, there are a lot of WW1 aeroplanes you can foil.... :rofl:

Enter it in an IPMS competition. It would be fun to see the expressions of the judges faces when they contemplate an aluminum Nieuport or SE5a or Albatros. Even more fun to see the faces of the humorless veddy veddy "serious" modelers when they observe such a sacrilege.

I already have a nice idee for the next foil job.

If i will enter that one in a competition i will put the real pic next to it.

And yes there will be a wip on the forum :)

Mark

One of the nicest things about foiling is the very low cost. No more $150 resin aftermarket sets.

Aside from the adhesive it is just everyday household items like aluminum foil and eggs. The tools can include many things we have already and/or can modify for foiling. I have used teaspoons and tablespoons from the kitchen for flattening , curving and burnishing the foil. Some knives, spoons and forks have smooth handles and they can be used for burnishing, too.

Do not be afraid of experimenting. You can try applying the foil onto parts of old kits to learn how to do it.. The only expense will be the cost of the adhesive and the time you spend developing a new skill.

Here today, foil tomorrow. :innocent:

Stephen

Edited by ssculptor