1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

ummm - I just screwed up again...

was trying to just change the shape slightly to pinch in the back end of the canopy by using hot water..

guess what clumsy oaf managed to do this..

WIP1421_zpsaya6wpqp.jpg

..I am quite philosophical about this as opposed to being suicidal... I want to tweak the mould to make the shape better and start again..

Canopies are definately my nemesis...

TTFN
Peter

Ouch, that wasn't a very good idea indeed... I can definitely feel your pain!  :( Your only choice is reworking the master indeed if you want to modify the shape. Keep your head up, this kind of mishap can happen to any of us. You managed to do a perfect pull once and you'll manage to do it again. Looking forward to seeing the result!

Ouch, that wasn't a very good idea indeed... I can definitely feel your pain!  :( Your only choice is reworking the master indeed if you want to modify the shape. Keep your head up, this kind of mishap can happen to any of us. You managed to do a perfect pull once and you'll manage to do it again. Looking forward to seeing the result!

not a very good idea at all :)

..I reworked the mould to tighten the rear a bit, and the bulge at the back where the canopy has a dip to go under the rear fairing..

WIP1422_zpszmf5ryog.jpg

about 12 pulls and much swearing later I have a good copy - it will be better overall - better shape, it fits better and generally I find when I screw something up it turns out better when I remake it :)

WIP1423_zpswffcmfik.jpg

TTFN

Peter

thanks chaps :)

last post for today..

I am soooo happy with the new canopy :) it is much better than the first, so it is fate I forked it up..

a minor detail is that the front frame where it meets the windshield is actually really thin and it is the perspex fastened to a frame on the inside that can be seen with the fasteners going through the clear hood - you can see it here on TZ138 as she is now - note the thin front edge and the black backed inner frame..

WIP1425_zpssktsgsxr.jpg

..I tried and over did this feature on the first canopy - over scale & too wide & I wasn't really happy but I was too fatigued with bloody canopies to put up a fight...

WIP1424_zps7buulvsn.jpg

..so in re-doing it I learned some new tricks and too make it thinner, including drilling the holes in the metal part first, and using these to set out where the holes in the canopy..

WIP1426_zpsnrpqz3mb.jpg

..a nervous time drilling the holes... and they can't just be sanded flush so some careful clean up too..

WIP1427_zpsufhpp1b9.jpg

..I also used smaller rivets - each having to be made to fit, cut to length and have the domed tops flattened - quite a boring & finicky task - but I think worth it..

WIP1429_zpsbjh8aepn.jpg

WIP1428_zpssmychbzx.jpg

WIP1430_zpsfnnc4jm0.jpg

..the rear fairing is ready for detailing, but that is tomorrows job :)

TTFN & thanks for sticking through it :)

Peter

about 12 pulls and much swearing later I have a good copy - it will be better overall - better shape, it fits better and generally I find when I screw something up it turns out better when I remake it :)

Yep, same here!

To quote from Harry Potter:

Ron Weasley: "That was bloody brilliant!"

Professor McGonagall: "Thank you for that assessment, Mr Weasley."

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

evening ladies :)

canopy is pretty much built thank goodness.. had a horrible moment today when I got something nasty that dissolved a nice fingerprint into it (debonder or contact glue thinners I think) but managed to pretty much sand and polish it out..

started with the framing, but didn't take many WIP pics such was the concentration in not messing it up..

pretty much all the assembly is done, just needs painting..

WIP1431_zps6m0xftxb.jpg

WIP1432_zpsrwphqmu4.jpg

WIP1433_zpsbupggsce.jpg

WIP1434_zps7imwqmti.jpg

added some internal details too..

WIP1435_zpsegpgi2q4.jpg

..and finally I am nearly there :)

WIP1437_zpseidqosad.jpg

WIP1438_zpsev6t27hs.jpg

WIP1436_zpsirmmkyup.jpg

I am pretty relieved I have to say..

TTFN