Star Destroyer "Imperium I-Class" - 1/2700 by Revell/Zvezda +

elmarriachi

Hello @ all,

Until my super star destroyer of the Executor-class arrived from customs I will start the "smaller" version of the Imperior I-class ship first. 

This is the brand new kit from Zvezda (reboxed from Revell). Additionally I will use some resin parts for the engines etc., plus some LEDs and fibreoptics for complete illumination.

But first thing I did was assembling the two upper and two lower parts of the hull, adding some wall parts. Some further wall parts between the upper and lower hull will follow and glued to the lower hull.

The "roof"-parts will follow later once the electric is finished. First I will ahve to drill many, many, small and smaller holes for the  fibre optics .... :) 

ruuj8wx5.jpg

6txu9tnu.jpg

atp953ba.jpg

y6yp6ulp.jpg

x4aw9wzo.jpg

4z49devl.jpg

Cheers

Micha

Hi Micha,

I hope you will do a detailed build log as I have this kit and have made a small start. It will be my first model with fiber optics and I don't know were to start!

Guest Smitty44

Tell me more about this "Super" kit your waiting for, please!

Edited by Smitty44

Yes - the Zvezda and the Revell kit are exactly the same. I think that Zvezda is producuing the kit also for Revell and they only put it in their own box, add their own manual and finish. The Zvezda-manual is only in Russian language but this is no problem (or this is only with my kit which I purchased via ebay in Russia?)

It will be also my first kit with fibre ops ... hopefully no problem as I want to use this for my bigger one next too :) 

@Smity: It is the 38" Korbanth kit ... :) 

Yes :) That's the one I got :) Yesterday I picked up the huge package from the customs ... and it is really, really nice :) 

Funny gatchet: The upgrade kit for the Imperium-class star destroyer includes a small Millennium Falcon in 1/2700 ..... the huge Executor-Class includes a mini-mini-small Imperium-Class star destroyer in 1/20000 :) :) 

Michael - not sure if you've seen this thread or not (am I allowed to reference other forums threads on here mods?):

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=268500

and I'm not sure if you've seen these [even] larger resin kits:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-1-2256-Star-Destroyer-Avenger-and-Lambda-Class-Shuttle-Resin-Model-Kit-/263002249589?hash=item3d3c27d975:g:gyMAAOSwc3ZUnZ10

these have a very good reputation and there's several videos on YouTube showing just how good they look when finished by a competent modeller such as yourself!

I look forward to seeing this baby come alive with your usual magic!

Cheers,

Dave

edit: as a Star Wars nut, oops, I mean fan, I've been wanting that resin kit for a LONG while, sadly, by the time that I found out about it, I could not afford it and now being unemployed it is a lost dream.  The Zvezda kit looks really nice though and seems great value.  I don't speak Russian though!

Edited by dpastern

Michael, just doing some reading on the RPF link that I mentioned in my last post, it seems that the bridge on the Zvezda/Revell kits is too large by about 9%.  I wonder if anyone is doing a resin bridge with the right dimensions?  And where are you getting your resin engines from?  The zvezda engines look very nice from what I've seen so far.  It's late here (nearly 3am) as I've been working on a uni assignment, so will continue reading up on this kit tomorrow.

Michael, just doing some reading on the RPF link that I mentioned in my last post, it seems that the bridge on the Zvezda/Revell kits is too large by about 9%.  I wonder if anyone is doing a resin bridge with the right dimensions?  And where are you getting your resin engines from?  The zvezda engines look very nice from what I've seen so far.  It's late here (nearly 3am) as I've been working on a uni assignment, so will continue reading up on this kit tomorrow.

I get details are important for a few people but I wouldn't get to caught up on what the guys over at RPF say about the bridge. I mean really - 9% too big? On whose authority is it too big? Its a fictional ship in a Sci-Fi movie that used a lot if different miniatures - each one a different size.  Don't get me wrong - I LOVE Star Wars and Science Fiction but it ticks me off when people start rivet counting something that just doesn't exist. Sure - you can see obvious flaws in kits like the AMT version but at that time, it was the only kit around and if you have the time, its fun to make it "accurate" (or at least add some more details to it) but the Zvezda kit is a really nicely detailed, beautiful kit and I can't wait to start mine. There are some parts where detail is lacking but again, personal preference will dictate what you do about it - if anything. I'm OCD enough to do something about it :)

In regards to AM parts, you can get some from Shapeways or another place here: http://www.falcon3dparts.com/sd_upgrade/

I have bought a set for myself and am waiting for them to be printed and sent. Hopefully, it's not a scam but I am covered by PayPal anyways if it is

Just have fun with it

I get details are important for a few people but I wouldn't get to caught up on what the guys over at RPF say about the bridge. I mean really - 9% too big? On whose authority is it too big? Its a fictional ship in a Sci-Fi movie that used a lot if different miniatures - each one a different size.  Don't get me wrong - I LOVE Star Wars and Science Fiction but it ticks me off when people start rivet counting something that just doesn't exist. Sure - you can see obvious flaws in kits like the AMT version but at that time, it was the only kit around and if you have the time, its fun to make it "accurate" (or at least add some more details to it) but the Zvezda kit is a really nicely detailed, beautiful kit and I can't wait to start mine. There are some parts where detail is lacking but again, personal preference will dictate what you do about it - if anything. I'm OCD enough to do something about it :)

In regards to AM parts, you can get some from Shapeways or another place here: http://www.falcon3dparts.com/sd_upgrade/

I have bought a set for myself and am waiting for them to be printed and sent. Hopefully, it's not a scam but I am covered by PayPal anyways if it is

Just have fun with it

Well, I don't have the kit (can't afford it), but having looked at photos of the kit, and knowing the ship pretty well and having access to several books that have models of the imperial star destroyer, I'm pretty confident the bridge is too big.  Most modellers on here consult reference books and period images of whatever they're building, and the guys on RPF are doing nothing different to that.  I mean, I reckon quite a few modellers here on these forums would be cranky if a F4F had the wings 10% too long...

I like the kit, and would love to have one and I can live with the kit "as is", but I can certainly see where RPF stands on this and I don't blame them.

I have the Anigrand kit and its YUUUUUGE! Not as big as the Randy Cooper version, but big enough.

And the point above is valid about the bridge potentially being too large - I mean didn't Eduard retool their 1/48 109 F/G kits due to sizing errors? It's really important to a small portion of the modelling community.

After all, science fiction modelling is about building an accurate scale replica of something that doesn't actually exist!

I have the Anigrand kit and its YUUUUUGE! Not as big as the Randy Cooper version, but big enough.

And the point above is valid about the bridge potentially being too large - I mean didn't Eduard retool their 1/48 109 F/G kits due to sizing errors? It's really important to a small portion of the modelling community.

After all, science fiction modelling is about building an accurate scale replica of something that doesn't actually exist!

I'd love the Anigrand kit, and the Randy Cooper kit (which I was unaware of until an hour ago).  But I have neither the money or the space.  Things are a real mess at the moment with my life and lots of things are up in the air now as my mum passed away earlier this morning.  She hated the model kits.