Photo

As my compressor slowly weeps (need advice)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 ZachP319

ZachP319

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

So recently I have noticed that my compressor (brand X bought at the hobby store when my last one died) is no longer shutting off when I am not spraying which would seem to suggest that it is either not meeting the upper PSI to shut down or the shut off is wonky. In addition to this issue the compressor which once ran quiet runs loud and clangy for maybe 5 minutes after switching it on and in this state produces no air pressure whatsoever. After the initial clangy run it reverts to a quieter running and starts producing air pressure. In addition to these two problems I have had moisture in the line and inconsistent airflow and an inability to regulate pressure below 20 psi or so. 

Fair to say I am not a happy camper.....especially as I found a comparable model on Amazon for around $60 while I had the bright orange SALE sticker on my unit starting at me with it's $159 price.......

Compressor is three years old and I think it is time to replace it......

I do not currently have a budget for a nice grex or iwata compressor in the $300-$400 range so I was hoping to get some recommendations on compressors at a good price point. 

Also would you recommend a tankless compressor or one with a tank? I have only ever used the former. My first compressor I used from when I was a teenager to pretty recently (With a big modeling hiatus in there). It was bought from MicroMark and had no regulator. It ran around 25 psi and this made detail work challenging. My second compressor is the current Sir Clangsalot and it is regulated and that was certainly a step up but both are tankless. Is there a benefit in airflow or compressor life for going with a compressor with a tank? 

Thanks in advance

Zach

• harvey and Gigant like this

#2 nichenson

nichenson

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

I absolutely love this compressor.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is not loud at all.  Sounds about like a running fridge, and I have yet to need a full tank.  The tank BTW is aluminum so no rust in it either!  I took off their cheap regulator and got some nice ones at Lowe's with a 0-60 psi gauge.  I can easily dial it down and be accurate to within a half a psi.

• harvey, Dragon and KUROK like this

#3 BloorwestSiR

BloorwestSiR

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

I recently picked up a Badger compressor from Michael's for $160 CAD (about $120 USD). I used one of their 55% off one item coupons to get it for that price. It's not as quiet as the Silentaire it replaced but it also wasn't $1500 which is what the Silentaire would've cost.

It's the TC910 in the pic below:

http://www.badgerair...orcatalog-3.jpg

I like having one with a tank as it gets rid of any pulsations and means the compressor isn't running all the time.

Some folks on here use big commercial CO2 tanks so that could be another option.

Hope that helps.
Carl
  • LSP_Typhoonattack likes this

#4 1to1scale

1to1scale

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

This is the one I have, works great, never had a problem no matter what the volume of air I need! 

https://www.amazon.c...rush compressor

• harvey likes this

#5 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

Grex (drops microphone).

• Bill_S and harvey like this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#6 KUROK

KUROK

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

I absolutely love this compressor.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is not loud at all.  Sounds about like a running fridge, and I have yet to need a full tank.  The tank BTW is aluminum so no rust in it either!  I took off their cheap regulator and got some nice ones at Lowe's with a 0-60 psi gauge.  I can easily dial it down and be accurate to within a half a psi.

I also have one of California Air Tools compressor and I like mine.  It's not really loud.

Agree that the regulator needs replacement.  How do you handle the water trap situation?

#7 Eagle Driver

Eagle Driver

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

I would go for this: 

until you pile up some budget for a step-up and then you can still keep this one for emergencies or additional work. Otherwise  you would buy something that will do the same thing as before but at lower quality and then it would be tricky to move up since you would be paying for same thing with higher quality.

While if you get this from the vid, I think you will have some flexibility that is not available with the regular ones.

• Luca likes this

DN-_Models-logo-200.png

#8 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 25,164 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

Some folks on here use big commercial CO2 tanks so that could be another option.

Hope that helps.
Carl

Me, for one, and I'll never buy another compressor in my life, not for airbrushing anyway.

• Out2gtcha and Bravo52 like this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#9 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

CO2. You’ll kick yourself for not having done it years ago.
  • LSP_Typhoonattack, Out2gtcha and Maxim like this

"It's all part of the show..."

#10 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,431 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

Me, for one, and I'll never buy another compressor in my life, not for airbrushing anyway.

CO2. You’ll kick yourself for not having done it years ago.

Knowing nothing about what it would take, are there any specifics to getting this setup, like special pressure regulator? Water trap needed? How big of a cylinder? 

#11 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 25,164 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

Knowing nothing about what it would take, are there any specifics to getting this setup, like special pressure regulator? Water trap needed? How big of a cylinder? 

20 lb is perfect for me. Pressure regulator is a Grainger/Home Depot type item, probably around $60 or so. No moisture trap is really needed, but an inline unit close to the airbrush end, might be used, if one so chooses, though the CO2 itself has no moisture.

Gas cylinders can be had at most gas supply locations, and after you pay for the first tank, refills (new, full tanks) are about $25 or so.

• Out2gtcha likes this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#12 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,431 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

20 lb is perfect for me. Pressure regulator is a Grainger/Home Depot type item, probably around $60 or so. No moisture trap is really needed, but an inline unit close to the airbrush end, might be used, if one so chooses, though the CO2 itself has no moisture.

Gas cylinders can be had at most gas supply locations, and after you pay for the first tank, refills (new, full tanks) are about $25 or so.

How often would you have to fill a 20lb tank?

• LSP_Typhoonattack likes this

#13 Mark_C

Mark_C

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:20 PM

Couple things about tanks, though.  A 20-lb CO2 cylinder is around $100, and before you fill it they have to pressure test it (first time, at least), and every so often after that.  In my area, a pressure test is $40 each time.  And to fill the tank is also nearly $40.  At least in my area, CO2 tanks are an expensive investment.  And that doesn't include regulator costs, which can run $85.

That's why I went with one of these:

https://www.lowes.co...ssor/1000018947

I paid about $200 years ago (nearly 20), and it still runs great.

yMMV.

#14 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,431 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

I can see those disadvantages. Ive not heard about required pressure tests however. I can also see the advantage of the silent tank, and not having any compressor kick on every so often would be nice too. 

#15 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

In the US you trade the tank in for a freshly inspected and filled tank. You don’t pay for the inspection separately.

And you don’t need any kind of moisture trap. There’s zero moisture to trap, period.

Edited by Jennings Heilig, 14 November 2017 - 08:27 PM.

• Out2gtcha likes this

"It's all part of the show..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users