New resin fillet tail for new Revell P-51D!

1to1scale

I told ya this would happen. I didn't think it would be this soon.

So those of you with Tamiya's example have a spare tail already. :)

Only if you plan to build your Tamiya as a -5, which the Revell already is. :shrug:

Nice resin filleted tail but there are a couple of issues:   1) Changes are needed in the cockpit too.

Only if you like to go nutz with cockpit detail .  (not me  :piliot:)

Hey Kevin ( sheesh, another Kevin, what's that 3 now ?) , I'm curious why

you've included the horizontals and a rudder since they're already in the kit ?

Might save time, money and effort by leaving it out.

Welcome aboard btw  :hi:

Edited by mmaben

I told ya this would happen. I didn't think it would be this soon.

Only if you plan to build your Tamiya as a -5, which the Revell already is. :shrug:

Hey Kevin ( sheesh, another Kevin, what's that 3 now ?) , I'm curious why

you've included a rudder with your set since there's a seperate one in the kit ?

Might save time, money and effort by leaving it out.

Welcome aboard btw  :hi:

This is the metal rudder for the late version. also the stabs I mastered have a different key to insert into the vertical stab wing root.I did not use the original Revell kit tail to master this set. It's a whole nuther kettle of fish.

Edited by 109ace

:hi:

Thank you for joining us!

Could you please "spell-out" your preferred method for those of us to use PayPal to purchase from you directly?

Thanking you in advance.

Tom

Sure, I'll post it here for you, and also on my introduction posting above. Paypal is Kmartin512@sbcglobal.net the sets are $11 for one, or $9 for two and up. Multi purchase discount. ( Mark, I'll take care of you ) Shipping is a flat $3 in USA. Outside USA please contact me for a price quote on international shipping. Please use Paypal "Goods and Services" to pay. protects you and me. and is full proof for shipping labels.

Edited by 109ace

Great job Kevin, I have his 1/48 P 61 cowls which are very good and make a huge difference on the Monogram kit. Kevin does excellent work and his prices are great. Thanks for jumping on this so quickly

It is not as simple as "adding a fillet" to make a "late" Mustang. It would be as silly as saying that adding a tall tail to a Bf 109 G-6 will make it a Bf 109 K-4. The instrument panels were different. The electrical panels on the right side were different. The panels under the engine were different. But the biggest problem that will be utterly impossible to fix is the canopy. The canopy included in the Revell kit was only used on the D-5. For later types you will need to source the canopy (either Dallas of Inglewood) elsewhere. 

This is the metal rudder for the late version. 

Can you please tell us more about the "metal rudder for the later version"? Can you please tell us what information you used? 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

I'm going to chime in here... this is all great and exciting, however, Radu is absolutely correct. One connot just place a fillet on the kit and call it a “late model†Mustang... as previously mentioned there are a myriad of other changes. I will be waiting for a “late†version from Revell with all of the correct changes.

Cheers

Alan

Guest Airfixer

[...]

I will be waiting for a “late†version from Revell with all of the correct changes.

[..]

+1

Instead of falling prey to commutatio praecox...

Please do not misunderstand, I am not trying to wreck a manufacturer's product here. If anything, I am trying to steer them towards making a complete product. After seeing the kind of attention that Pastor John put into covering even the smallest detail into his Bf 110 F/G conversion, that is the kind of standard that one should strive for. Reducing the differences between the types of Mustangs to just a "fillet" reveals a certain amount of... let us call it... "naivety". 

Radu 

This issue of the "fillet" was discussed ad nauseam on this forum. Read this thread: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=70981&page=2&hl=fillet&do=findComment&comment=968812

However, there is a place for a "fillet" for the current "early" Revell Mustang. Some of the D-5 Mustangs were retro-fitted with a fillet in the field. So, for the Mustang D-5 fitted with the fillet, a filleted tail, either this or the Tamiya part, are suitable with some modification. As I mentioned above, some changes need to be made in the sense that the fillet added to the D-5 had a slight curvature on the top edge and was slightly different at the end where it meets the fin. So, my advice to Kevin is to make the fillet for the "early" Mustang as a product and forget about selling this as a "late" Mustang conversion. You will need to check carefully if what you are looking at is a "early Mustang with fillet" or a "late Mustang". 

I repeat, it is no enough to add a fillet to the current Revell Mustang and make a "late" Mustang. A lot more changes are needed. 

Radu