IMCTH P51 Build Log

Jking207

Many thanks John, it was first seeing your build that made me want to try the IMTCH P51, I use yours and Chris's as reference, at least till photobucket stopped hosting.

20170918_160536.jpg

20170918_163208_2197.jpg

The side panels and oil tank mounted.  Used some of the Eduard set for Tamiya.  Will probably stop here and start the belly scoop, then return to the cockpit.

• 1 month later...

Got a start on the radiator with the two major pieces in place.  The radiator is 6 white metal pieces that go together nicely and don't show any seams.  The air outtake (?) is a single casting polished a bit with a Dremel then sanded and finally clear metal coat primer.  

20171116_021505.jpg

20171116_022153.jpg

Edited by Jking207

I'm sorry to say I'd never heard of these kits until today and hadn't visited your thread either - what a fascinating build! This looks like a lot of fun. The wing work was very interesting and the fuselage is shaping up to be just as intricate and cool to follow.

I'm guessing I'll need to sell some organs and my car to afford one? I'm off to do some research.

Thanks Guys 

I'm guessing I'll need to sell some organs and my car to afford one? I'm off to do some research.

​I took a chance and bought one off Ebay used and no returns excepted.  Still hoping all the parts are there.

​Excuse the gluey finger prints and cat hair.  There is still a lot of handling to do yet and I'll clean up when the sub assemble is finished.  Steps 34 and 35 are reversed in the instructions, but it's easy enough figure out that one can not proceed without the other.  Again fit is just amazing except I had a gap between radiator and air exhaust.  I used JB Weld (metal epoxy) for any part the would show a seam and polished it on a Dremel to remove any excess epoxy.  A polisher would be a very nice tool to have as the Dremel isn't very fine and will remove detail is you got nuts with it.

20171119_170520.jpg 

20171119_170507.jpg

​I took a chance and bought one off Ebay used and no returns excepted.  Still hoping all the parts are there.

I hope any missing parts are easy to replace. I had a look and HLJ had them on back order, the price was around a Tamiya Spit and Mosquito. Maybe something to save up for and aspire to. :)

Engineering Hobbies is, I think, is their main site.

I got the radiator and oil cool cooler plumbing in.  There are two main return lines and two aux returns from the radiator.  The oil cooler has another two lines.  I used a smaller diameter solder than was in included in the kit for the oil cooler lines and another size for the aux returns as the kits did not fit through the firewall.  The return lines on the bottom of the radiator are hard to get to and once glued they are easy to pull off routing the solder.  I am debating whether to get some black solder paint and dying them black.

20171121_152725.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replacing your photos Chris.  I tried the same fabric seat you did, but failed miserably.  I used some Eduard USN USAF late style seat belts I had laying around instead.  

38802493832_5f9836352a_k.jpg

Corrected the visual aid as it was not positioned right after it was reattached.  

38802490392_ad2821b9f2_k.jpg

Eduard Belts 

38802514422_dddae5e811_k.jpg

Seat installed.

Edited by Jking207

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...