Tamiya F-4J Phantom II VF-96 Showtime 100

Aircav1980

Well folks I am stepping out of my comfort zone with this one. This is my first attempt at a modern jet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am really exited about this one. It is quite a beautiful bird. I will be using GT resin seamless ducts. I am will be using Yellowhammer decals and an Aries resin cockpit. This one will be an adventure because I am not at all familiar with modern aircraft. Hopefully I will get this one done in less than a year. Be seeing you soon. 

IMG_0051_zpso1qbr7un.jpg

IMG_0052_zpsfyd8ld4p.jpg

IMG_0053_zpsugaoccuj.jpg

wow, just in time, this will be my next undertaking after my current build. i bought the backdating kit from GT Resin to backdate it to a F4b. Hope to pick up lots of tips and techniques from your build.

i am strapped in for this one.

thanks

The Aires cockpit is a major upgrade to the kit cockpit. But like all resin products it has those nasty casting blocks that you have to cut off. This one has quite a thick block under the cockpit tub itself as illustrated in the instruction. 

IMG_0707_zpsd6pkr7wa.jpg

This is quite a tedious task I am completing with a jeweler's saw and a razor saw covering myself in quite a lot of white dust. One word of caution for anyone who wishes to do this themselves. Take your time because they do not leave much room for error.

IMG_0705_zpsi2qb0vgy.jpg

More to come folks. 

Cool!  The color used in US Navy Jets during that time frame was Dark Gull Gray FS 36231 and you lighten/darken to taste or weather.  Black ejection seats and black instruments on a dark Gull Gray Instrument panel.  I myself used to use A/C interior black in the MM range or Tamiya Nato black is also nother good color, with grays to dry brush etc.

Andy

Edited by titan8251

Cool!  The color used in US Navy Jets during that time frame was Dark Gull Gray FS 36231 and you lighten/darken to taste or weather.  Black ejection seats and black instruments on a dark Gull Gray Instrument panel.  I myself used to use A/C interior black in the MM range or Tamiya Nato black is also nother good color, with grays to dry brush etc.

Andy

Thank you very much it was extremely helpful.