Triceratops Iwata test bed.

mpk

Dale,

I fought with Pete to buy an Iwata air brush as my 40+ old Paasche -1H was way past retirement. I tried a Duel action Iwata, but I really wanted to stay with a single action unit, yet I wanted to finer control of a internal mix AB.  Iwata  had just come out with two new smaller ABs in the Revolution series: The HP-M1 & the HP-M2, both single action/internal mix. The best of both worlds. So I bought both of them, and I've never looked back. Iwata's just rule. :thumbsup:  :yahoo:

Joel

Interesting to know. I too generally prefer a singe action, so I may need to chase down one of these Iwata airbrushes. Try as I might, I have just never been able to master a dual action, and probably never will.

Interesting to know. I too generally prefer a singe action, so I may need to chase down one of these Iwata airbrushes. Try as I might, I have just never been able to master a dual action, and probably never will.

Kevin,

Me too. The issue I had is that for 99% of the time I found myself using full air and just modulating the amount of paint. Most likely it's just from 40 yrs of using a single action AB. So I was forever pushing when I should have been pulling back or moving up while trying to get the right flow of paint.   Now it's just adjust the air flow via the control valve on my Iwata compressor, then AB like always. Simple, yet effective for me.

Joel

From what I've learned at sites like Chicago Air Brush is that these features are really intended for air brush artists who need to feather on the run, use multiple air brushes, etc. For our needs I've yet to read of anyone needing to feather/modulate the actual air flow during one application of a painting session. If I ever found that I need to do that, Iwata makes a bleeder valve you can attach between the connect and hose that allows you to make fine adjustments.

Joel

Mk II...ok.....I wasn't quite sure, as the photos I have seen of the Mk II usually seem to show a mottled green/grey camo on the upper surfaces ...so this may be an early Mk II before the new pattern.... hehehe...

Nice work !

Joe

I'd originally planned a BoB triceratops. Painted like a Hurricane with markings etc. Then I thought it'd be silly and of the Nepalese kid next door. So changed my mind. The RAF sky belly remains, but will be dry brushed and look different.

I keep imagining the crocodiles I've seen in the wild. None had any uniform colour. I am going to attempt to depict that.

I have been working on a basic drum technique for 40 years. I am still trying to perfect it.

Something I have noticed about people who are artistic or dedicated to a craft is they are never happy with where they are. There seems a need to better themselves.

I have decided that is a good and yet frustrating trait to have. It shows the artist cares.

From what I've learned at sites like Chicago Air Brush is that these features are really intended for air brush artists who need to feather on the run, use multiple air brushes, etc. For our needs I've yet to read of anyone needing to feather/modulate the actual air flow during one application of a painting session. If I ever found that I need to do that, Iwata makes a bleeder valve you can attach between the connect and hose that allows you to make fine adjustments.

Joel

Bleeder valve? Interesting piece of information, Joel.

Many thanks. I shall look into it.  :goodjob:

AIRBRUSH

Airbrush Bleed Valve
Product description
A practical solution to controlling your required air pressure, releasing excess air before it reaches the airbrush outlet. Adjust the air pressure to your desired amount using the control knob. Numbers shown on knob are the guidelines for the set airflow.

Seems a bit unnecessary. Both my compressors have controls within easy reach.

Thanks Joel. :)

Exactly my point. And how often if ever have you needed to adjust the psi during painting, not at the start? Most likely never. So why do we prefer a double action air brush. Makes almost no sense, other then there was no real alternative in internal gravity feed ABs from the better companies. Now there is.

Joel

Exactly my point. And how often if ever have you needed to adjust the psi during painting, not at the start? Most likely never. So why do we prefer a double action air brush. Makes almost no sense, other then there was no real alternative in internal gravity feed ABs from the better companies. Now there is.

Joel

Actually, the Paasche VL series has what I refer to as a "cheat wheel", allowing the needle to be set back and forth for increase or decrease paint flow, so in effect, becomes single action. I've used mine that way for years, and is the only way that I do use it.

Actually, the Paasche VL series has what I refer to as a "cheat wheel", allowing the needle to be set back and forth for increase or decrease paint flow, so in effect, becomes single action. I've used mine that way for years, and is the only way that I do use it.

You found a Paasche airbrush that functions???  :goodjob:

Obviously not a Talon.

This is me upon discovery of the useless Talon.

b5cd652ee7c535fa4cadf5831e8e237f.jpg

Kevin,

Another LSP'er comes out of the closest for Single Action internal ABs :punk: 

Joel

You found a Paasche airbrush that functions???  :goodjob:

Obviously not a Talon.

This is me upon discovery of the useless Talon.

b5cd652ee7c535fa4cadf5831e8e237f.jpg

The Paasche VL series has been a staple of many airbrush artists over the years. This and the H series have been sold (and used) by the thousands.

I love my Paasche Talon, but I use it to spray my primer coat because it just better at it than the Iwata. It does have the adjustment feature that somewhat mimics a single action AB as well. It's freaking bullet proof and I can modulate just so, to spray as fine as the Iwata, but the trigger is not as smooth so I've been using the Iwata more than the Paasche, lately. Still an awesome AB and nicely priced, too!

Another reason for the Iwata? I can spray longer with it before the compressor kicks in. I don't know why, but I can adjust the Iwata just so and spray a long time before the tank is drained at a given PSI, so I can spray longer/quieter with the Iwata.

But if I could afford one AB, it will be the Paasch Talon (of course, I have another Iwata coming soon..)!

RpS74Hr.jpg