Miles M-20

spacewolf

Hey Phil, Jack & Alfonso, thanks ! It's a blast to finally be getting this project off the ground.

Now I haven't been sitting back doing nothing. I did have to think about if I wanted to carve a maser and vacu form or build up the nose and then after I decided on the build up I had to think about how to skin the formers. Going back into my days in balsa models I decided that a modified 'planking' of the formers just might work. I grabbed a bunch of .040 scraps (this is a great way to use up scrap plastic !)

post-2514-1277251655.jpg

I cut strips of varying sizes and cutting them to fit between the formers, glued them in place. I placed them a bit 'proud' so that when dry they could be sanded down to the level of the formers

post-2514-1277251685.jpg

Where there was a large curve I laminated the strips.

post-2514-1277251765.jpg

Sanding the strips down the shape of the nose start showing up. Shallow area's got filled with more thin strips.

post-2514-1277251978.jpg

More sanding and it's looking good. I cut into the plastic base under the nose to make sanding easier, more will be cut out as I build up the rest of the oil cooler intake.

post-2514-1277252014.jpg

I have more planking to do but I'm pleased with how it's coming along. One of my biggest concerns was doing the nose. If it keeps on coming together I think It's going to work out ok.

Back to the model bench !

Fantastic work Vaughn. If I ever get around to scratch building something, I'll definitely try the planking method, since I have no vacforming skills or equipment. And you're definitely proving to me that it's a viable method!

Kev

Fantastic work Vaughn. If I ever get around to scratch building something, I'll definitely try the planking method, since I have no vacforming skills or equipment. And you're definitely proving to me that it's a viable method!

Kev

Thanks Kev. It's better with .060 but I don't have any at the moment. If you can keep the spaces between formers small it works better. There is a LOT of sanding/elbow grease involved but with care and work it is a good way to build up skin on any project.

Cheers

Vaughn

Adding the taper strips on the side. Where the plastic doesnt touch the 110 part I supported with scrap plastic.

post-2514-1277349202.jpg

Filling in the area for the oil cooler. I first cut and glued on a bit of plastic to give the shape of the opening, then cut and glued scraps around it to fill the area.

post-2514-1277349357.jpg

post-2514-1277349482.jpg

After carving and trimming away the excess, the area was brought down close to shape with course sandpaper, then finished with small files and finer sandpaper. The divots and small seams were filled with automotive putty and sanded. The plastic filling the intake was cut out and the rough insides puttied. It needs a second coat but I'm happy with it so far.

post-2514-1277349789.jpg

post-2514-1277349802.jpg

post-2514-1277349811.jpg

Vaughn,

I hope you are sanding outside in the open air!! :lol:

Sorry mate but this is just amazing!!!

Great work.

Phil :clap2:

Hey Phil

Thanks ! Glad you are enjoying this as much as I am. If you might note in the last few pics I am out on my balcony ! :piliot: Sanding dust gets EVERYWHERE !! (not to mention the fumes of the filler)

Cheers

Vaughn

ok, last bit for tonight. On the top curved area the wide section between the formers seems to have a slight sunken shape...not sure why. I will fix this by laying on thin strips of plastic and sanding it smooth.

post-2514-1277357895.jpg

The final area's are filled in except for the bottom... I have to do a bit more image finding before I close it up. The side tapered area is ready for sanding and a final coat of putty is on the intake.

post-2514-1277357972.jpg

The black pencil mark shows where the leading edge of the wing will go but thats for another day. I gotta let things dry AND get some sleep.

Cheers

Vaughn

That's a terrific idea, I would never have thought of doing it that way.

Hey 'Allok' That's one of the things I love about this site and to my mind makes it the best site for modeling on the web. You get to see how people do things and everyone here is so willing to share and explain. Russ also loved to try new things and new ways of achieving a build (thinking of his 'flying pancake' build). I've never tried this in plastic before but it's working out nicely.

Cheers

Vaughn

Excellent. Always like to see how people approach these things.

This is working well and is pretty speedy.

Enjoying progress.

Matt

Hey Matt

Thanks, I'm trying to get something done every day. I started this just under a week ago and if I can finish it in 7 days, then do the other side in the same time I'll be well on my way to 'almost' keep up with Russ's building speed. I doubt I'll get it done in a month but it'll keep me focused !

Cheers

Vaughn