Scratch built AJ-1 Savage

Radders

Hi guys and girls

This is something I've been wanting to do now for a long time, and if I don't start it now, it'll never get built. I have packed away a few larger kits I have on the bench, got a few small ones on the go to keep me going and now this to tinkle on from time to time. It's this type of stuff I love so it should progress more than the ordinary oob kit.

It's a AJ-1 Savage in 1/35th that I'm going to build into a Water Bomber as I have set up a SIG here in the UK called 'Scale Water Bombers' which is also another reason for me to keep on it and hopefully not get bored/sidetracked etc!

It's 1/35th as I can't get the plans enlarged anywhere near me to the right size. I've worked out it's only slightly out from 1/32nd so wheels and stuff can still be used from other kits and it should still look OK. (to the untrained eye anyway...)

Plans were enlarged yesterday, and this is where I'm at today. Gaps to be filled with Balsa but I'm just out of enough to do both half's so I need to pick some up over the weekend then the fun can begin.. (tail section to be fitted still too..)

Thanks for checking in.

18228460902_eb60022da0_c.jpgScratch built 1/35th AJ-1 Savage by Radleigh Bushell, on Flickr

18218932126_0b335f2633_c.jpgScratch built 1/35th AJ-1 Savage by Radleigh Bushell, on Flickr

18057695360_a52b402f31_c.jpgScratch built 1/35th AJ-1 Savage by Radleigh Bushell, on Flickr

18057692670_619bb19d3a_c.jpgScratch built 1/35th AJ-1 Savage by Radleigh Bushell, on Flickr

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I've not been on... few personal issues with my back that's on-going..

Just to let people know, I now have a 1/32nd scale Savage fuselage, but not photos yet as it's not finished.. Quite excited about this project. I will be cutting the fuselage in half and then vacforming the two halfs, same for the wings, engines etc too!

Keep an eye out for photos soon though, they are coming... ;)

Phwoarrrr, Radders, it looks brilliant. Don't know if you got it looking that good on the first try, but if you did don't tell me, I'm intimidated enough as it is!!

Jim

First time Jim, guess I got lucky! Still lots to do though.. Thanks!

Well, that's a really cool project.  Always like to see people step up and scratch-build subjects.  Will be following along on this one

Matt  :frantic:

I've literally no idea what I'm doing, just going to try it my way and see how I get on... Not going to rush it, I want it 'correct' and to look good, so it's going to be a long haul build. Thanks Matt.

• 3 weeks later...