DD-459 USS Laffey Benson Class Destroyer in 1/350

BradG

USS Laffey was laid down in Janurary 1941 and launched in October that same year. She would see significant action around Guadalcanal in 1942 and ultimately, did not survive the year. On the night of November 12/13 1942, Laffey was part of Rear Admiral Callagnhan's Destoryer and Cruiser group which was ordered to intecept Admiral Abe's Battleship and Cruiser force which was pushing through 'the slot' in an attempt to knock out Henderson Field so the way for Japanese transport ships would be cleared. What followed, would be one of the most ferocious close quarter night naval engagements of WW2. Both forces sighted each other at about the same time at a distance of 3000 yards, however the inexperienced Callaghan hesitated in ordering his ships into action and Abe, whos guns were loaded with fragmentation rounds also hesitated. Distance between the groups closed to point blank range before several ships on both sides opened fire without orders.

The engagement would be described as "a bar room brawl with the lights shot out". Within minutes, Rear Admiral Callaghan and Scott had been killed and when Laffy passed with 20ft of the Battleship Hiei, she severarly wounded Admrial Abe and killed his Cheif of Staff. Laffey was bracketed by gunfire from several ships, taking at least 1 torpedo hit and several 14 inch rounds. Fires eventually reached her main magazine and she exploded.

This is one the newer smart kits from Dragon. It looks nice in the box, but it proves a tricky kit to put together. TEST FIT EVERYTHING, is something I learned building this model. Some parts simply don't fit where they are meant to but it is eaisly fixed with some sandpaper and files in construction, but not so much when everything is painted! Also, the fit of the main superstructure parts is not that good and some detail was lost in fixing up these.

c-1.jpg

P1010014-4.jpg

Detail is fantastic and believe it or not, there are over 400 pieces in this kit!. However they do things which I feel are unnecessary, such as having all the hatches separate so you can pose them open. You then get a set of hatches in photoetch and plastic and I would have prefered photoetch railings instead of the hatches. I went for some White Engsin Models ultra fine photoetch railings which are really, really nice.

3-6.jpg

a-1.jpg

e.jpg

As it was my first 1/350 ship, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

f.jpg

1-6.jpg

b-1.jpg

Edited by BradG