JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

Dear fellow modellers,

yes, me too. After Derek decided to do three (now four) swedish fighters...

The Viggen is one of my all time favourite fighters (coming to think about it, there are quite a few "all time favourites"...) and back in the late seventies I built one in 1/96 scale (odd, isn't it?) and with the splinter camo. Hmm. This GB got me thinking and I'll dive into very deep waters here (I will probably drown, but hey, life is short and then you die...). My (hopeful) contribution to this GB will be a 1/24 JA-37 D(I) Jaktviggen.

I started reserching the subject and here is what I've got so far:

viggen_books.jpg

There is Robert F. Dorr's book which, while quite interseting in itself, has not much to offer for the modeller. Then there is Björn Karlström's "Flygplans-Ritningar 2" which has line drawings and a few photographs of all swedish Fighters from 1926 to 1984. The drawings look very good, dimensionally and shapewise, to me and I decided to use the JA-37 drawings as a basis for my build (knowing quite well that you should not trust any drawing, in particular not even your own ones). The upscaled drawing of the book is in the background.

Last, there is the AirDoc book on the Viggen. I had hoped for more detail pics (like in Jake Melampy's books), but it is a very good source nevertheless. It has some artwork of nice unit markings that I didn't see before. So, well worth the money (less than 20,00 Euros over here in Germany).

And of course I have downloaded tons of pictures from the internet. Still, for a model in that scale you never have enough references, so any links or other hints are more than welcome.

I ordered a couple of square meters of sheet styrene (not the Evergreen stuff which is way too expensive), so it can begin :fight: . But don't expect anything soon. Or, as some chinese philosopher has been quoted: "Even the longest journey starts with the first step". Nevertheless, I will finish my Viper tail first...

Thanks for looking.

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

Wow, the level of ambition in this GB is off the charts! Great project Rainer. I'm looking forward to following along.

Kev

Hi Kev, yes; I'm a bit afraid myself. Never pulled off such a project. So I keep my fingers crossed.

A great project to be sure. What is your plan of attack, Rainer?

Are you going to do a master buck and then vacuform over it?

Dan

Hi Dan,

no vacforming exept probably some smash forming of the canopy and some other parts. Apart from that I'll be following a conventional frame & stringer approach with styrene skins and lots of filing and sanding. That's the way I did most of my scratch projects and it always worked for me.

Cheers

Rainer

Rainer,

I'm thrilled to see you taking on this project, in 1/24 no less!! I found a link to another large scale Viggen build- He didn't complete it, but maybe there is some useful "howdedoodat" info in the article that might be of benefit to you-

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=148910&hl=viggen&st=0

Edited by Lee White

Well done Rainer :clap2: (Nice to have a fellow Viggen nut for company),

I do not doubt your scratchbuilding abilities Rainer, so I very much look forward to this build :popcorn:

Cheers

Derek

Rainer,

Awesome choice ..VIGGEN a very nice Aircraft and one I like.

Gonna tag along ..

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Maru. I always wanted to do one in a large scale, so this GB is a very good incentive.

Rainer,

I'm thrilled to see you taking on this project, in 1/24 no less!! I found a link to another large scale Viggen build- He didn't complete it, but maybe there is some useful "howdedoodat" info in the article that might be of benefit to you-

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=148910&hl=viggen&st=0

Thanks for the link, Lee. I hope, I can finish mine (phew, didn't even start in ernest), but I'm in no way sure of that.

Well done Rainer :clap2: (Nice to have a fellow Viggen nut for company),

I do not doubt your scratchbuilding abilities Rainer, so I very much look forward to this build :popcorn:

Cheers

Derek

Hey, nice you have no doubts in my abilities, Derek. But I'm afraid I have :help:

Cheers

Rainer

YES!!!! this I will follow!

a little note on the splinter after an argument in our forum (http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/index.php, a perfect place to show off your work and ask questions about Viggen) I did a quick color investigation by measuring different spots on a couple of pictures of the Viggen

the colors are picked on the same place on both airframes

1 newish airframe photografed at hig altitude during winter

2 worn airframe low altitude, grassy field environment and summer

sommar_v_vinter_zpsad37b87f.jpg

The colors in the middle is the best RGB (screen color) translation of the official swedish NCS colors used by the AF I could find.

:D

There is NO easy answers when the Viggen is involved!

Cheers!!!

/L

YES!!!! this I will follow!

a little note on the splinter after an argument in our forum (http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/index.php, a perfect place to show off your work and ask questions about Viggen) I did a quick color investigation by measuring different spots on a couple of pictures of the Viggen

the colors are picked on the same place on both airframes

1 newish airframe photografed at hig altitude during winter

2 worn airframe low altitude, grassy field environment and summer

sommar_v_vinter_zpsad37b87f.jpg

The colors in the middle is the best RGB (screen color) translation of the official swedish NCS colors used by the AF I could find.

:D

There is NO easy answers when the Viggen is involved!

Cheers!!!

/L

Great pics - That is so useful Lars, thank you.

Cheers

Derek