AT-28D "Zorros" - FINISHED!

Thanks Shawn and Brian. The camo with the black is unique looking, but it just didn't look right to my eye, too stark. I only have a single pic of an AT-28 painted in the green camo, and taking a closer look at it, the upper surface doesn't appear to be carrying the black camo. Comparing the black bottom of the aircraft to the upper surface areas where the black is indicated on the AOA decal instructions, the bottom is darker. So, I decided to make a change. I painted over the black with a dark green. 

9BdxYaA.jpg

f6eNfRS.jpg

Now, it looks right to my eye!

Yeah Brian I think there are a total of four decals for this scheme, so it'll be a short dealing session!

Thanks for looking in,

Mike 

The camo with the black is unique looking, but it just didn't look right to my eye, too stark. I only have a single pic of an AT-28 painted in the green camo, and taking a closer look at it, the upper surface doesn't appear to be carrying the black camo. Comparing the black bottom of the aircraft to the upper surface areas where the black is indicated on the AOA decal instructions, the bottom is darker. So, I decided to make a change. I painted over the black with a dark green.

You may be right in the dark green, it does look very good. Unfortunately there's very few (that I know) photos of these aircraft and even fewer in good color. My thoughts were the darkest color being black considering the other two colors most likely were standard dark green and medium of the SEA scheme (considering the patterns also match the usual SEA camo pattern) but this unknown color looked very dark relative to the SEA dark green. I should've made it a little less definitive sounding in the sheet, although I know it's not tan.

Here's one that was posted online, unfortunately I don't remember where I grabbed it from (let me know if someone has the source):

t28.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

You may be right in the dark green, it does look very good. Unfortunately there's very few (that I know) photos of these aircraft and even fewer in good color. My thoughts were the darkest color being black considering the other two colors most likely were standard dark green and medium of the SEA scheme (considering the patterns also match the usual SEA camo pattern) but this unknown color looked very dark relative to the SEA dark green. I should've made it a little less definitive sounding in the sheet, although I know it's not tan.

Here's one that was posted online, unfortunately I don't remember where I grabbed it from (let me know if someone has the source):

t28.jpg

Ziggy - this is a much better pic than the one I found, and it lends support to using a darker green for the tan areas. Thanks for sharing it! Yes, color pics of these aircraft are few, at least online.

My next Trojan build will be one of the gray schemes on your sheet, so finding pics of these should much easier to track down.

Mike 

Jari - thanks for the links. I had found the pic of the rocket earlier and used it a the basis for my attempt to scratch build one. 

Weekend Update:

I laid down a couple of gloss coats using Tamiya X-22 early last week and allowed it dry for several days getting the build ready for decals and weathering. This was how the build looked after a grueling and challenging decaling session for the four decals :rofl:

HBKqSV6.jpg

QPYKIo4.jpg4kLEtAb.jpg

After letting the decals dry for a day, I gave them a topcoat of gloss. Next up was the weathering.

My typical weathering approach is a wash of Flory Models weathering wash; it's easy, and it's dummy proof, for the most part. However, I've been wanting to expand my weathering abilities. I tried weathering with the airbrush on a couple of previous builds with limited success. I've seen WIP's in the past where oils were used for weathering, and I really liked the effect of this method. So, I decided it was time to learn how to do oil filter weathering. After watching countless YouTube videos and reading numerous posts, this build will be my first attempt with this method.  I picked up some tubes of W&N oil paint and a bottle of Turpenoid and did a couple of trial runs on a SOD build. This dot filtering wasn't as difficult as I had made it out to be. In fact, it's relatively easy to do! I definitely like how forgiving using oils is: easy to apply, easy to manipulate, and easy to remove/redo if needed. Now, to apply to the build. I started on one of the horizontal stabilizers:

Wo5T8u3.jpg

You can see where I applied the filtering and where I didn't. I used Titanium White, Prussian Blue and Raw Umber. The lighting and camera are picking up more blue than what appears on the build. I completed the bottom side of the build, and unfortunately, I can't get a decent pic of it to share. There's room for improvement, but for my first attempt I'm happy how it turned out.

For those of you who use this method, I'm assuming that after the oil dries I put a sealing coat over it, so I can do the topside without marring the bottom side. I'm going to give the bottom side a week to dry before doing anything else.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

This build still moves forward, although slowly. 

I finished the oil weathering, and for my first attempt, I'm happy with it but more practice needed.

I've added the exhaust stains; I think I over did it.

v6xlziU.jpg

6XpJPSI.jpg

While the oil weathering was drying I completed the ornaments that'll hang off the build.

onyA8HH.jpg

Next up the landing gear.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Jari - thanks for the links. I had found the pic of the rocket earlier and used it a the basis for my attempt to scratch build one. 

For those of you who use this method, I'm assuming that after the oil dries I put a sealing coat over it, so I can do the topside without marring the bottom side. I'm going to give the bottom side a week to dry before doing anything else.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Yes you go ahead and seal it up. I used my normal prep for decals. It's looking pretty good so far. I could see the white in your photo but your right the other colors were tough to pick out. I can't comment on the exhaust as i don't think I've done a good one yet so don't know what it would look like

AARRRRGGGHHHHHH! It's a tail sitter! I was supposed to use both nuggets of weight supplied with the kit.  :BANGHEAD2:

ipDBryy.jpg

Without doing major surgery on the build, there's really nowhere to add more weight. Looks like I'll be adding a stand to keep the build on it's front wheel.  Definitely writing down a build note for the next T-28 to add BOTH weights supplied!

I'm pushing to get the build done by the end of the month, so I can start focusing on the next GB, Color My World Blue.