Tamiya F-4J Phantom

jbrundt

Now that the Mig is done I've begun construction on Tamiya's F-4J.

The kit intakes were replaced with Cutting Edge seamless ones. Some putty and Mr Surfacer was needed. However, they are a vast improvement over the stock intakes.

Jeff

post-4-1141700026_thumb.jpg

All in all I am happy with the CE resin parts. The tape you see is masking to protect the inner portions when the fuse color coat is sprayed later on in the build. I brush painted the intake insides with flat white then brushed on Future to give a gloss coat. The masking will be easy to remove later, have no fear.

post-4-1141700273_thumb.jpg

The cockpit was to be detailed with Eduard's color PE set for the Phantom before I started it. Unfortunately my order to Squadron had the PE set on back order AFTER the shipment with the rest of the things I ordered. So I was able to find a PE set at Great Models. But I waited, and waited. Finally I decided to press on with the kit cockpit. Wouldn't you know the day I finished it the PE set arrived. :) DOH! So I put in what details I could after it was assembled. It turend out pretty good despite......

post-4-1141700602_thumb.jpg

The radar screen was fist painted with an orange mix then the clear glass was attached with white glue. The pilot's radar screen was colored from behind with Tamiya clear yellow.

post-4-1141700863_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My original plan of installing the rear keel and stab after painting has been shelved. In order to properly paint the titanium ans stainless section of the rear fuse the stabilators really need to be out of the way. However the way Tamiya engineered this causes much trouble. So I came up with a way of locating the stabs and still allowing them to rotate freely.

First the stabs need to be removed from the center carriage assembly.....

post-4-1142472522_thumb.jpg

By cutting right along the root edge of the stab you leave the halfround pivot section on the center carriage assembly. Then some thin .020 shims need to be made to duplicate the half round pivot sections....

post-4-1142472575_thumb.jpg

hese shims are glued to their mating forms on the center carriage. While this is drying some guide pins need to be added to the root rib of the stabs. Make sure the holes are drilled normal to the root rib surface.

post-4-1142472629_thumb.jpg

Mating holes for the guide pins are drilled into the half round pivot plates. Once again drill these holes normal to the surface. Then dry fit the assembly into the aft fuse and keel.

post-4-1142472695_thumb.jpg